“Don't go near this restaurant if you like food or value decent service”
Review of The Open

The Open
Ranked #1,437 of 3,778 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Asian, French
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: French and asian kitchen but in Belgium
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have known The Open for some two years (I live opposite it). I used to go there to eat quite frequently but it seems to have changed hands and the two waitresses that I liked - and who were efficient and pleasant - appear to have been sacked. It's an odd place - half the menu is traditional Belgian cuisine and the other half is Chinese. All the staff are now Chinese and they seem to feel able to be as rude as they wish to customers so I wonder if they are family members. I ate there recently with two women friends (we are in our 50s and 60s). My friend ordered a Chinese dish which was on the menu as made up of mixed meats. When the dish arrived it was topped by a couple of large shrimps. As my friend is allergic to seafood she called the waitress over. Not only did the waitress put on a show of cold implacability as to taking the dish back (she clearly had no such intention) but she treated my friend like an idiot and suggested that she had misread the menu and that any fool should know that mixed meats included seafood. For six or seven minutes we tried to make her understand the problem and she resisted any further action other than to stare at us with undisguised fury and contempt. Finally we asked to see the manager who agreed to take the dish back and return it without the shrimps. No, said my friend, I want a different dish and one not containing seafood. By this time the other two dishes delivered were stone - cold and I had to ask for mine to be heated up again. The latter has often happened at The Open and not just when a row causes a delay in eating. Nobody seemed to think that the event required any apology to how my friend had been treated. Advice to The Open: do not treat your customers like imbeciles, give your staff some training in Brussels standards of service and take the trouble to serve your (already cooked) food hot or you won't be open for long. But I have no faith in this place. Staff have got ruder and ruder, it has a cold atmosphere - as one of the other reviewers noticed - and I have no faith that they operate with correct levels of hygiene and care. A truly rotten restaurant. Avoid at all costs. Try The Coach opposite or Jardin de Nicolas both a minute or two away - they are far superior and you get treated like a sentient human being, never mind a customer to be retained.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The waiters are friendly, the menu offering is sufficiently large- catering both western and Asian tastes , the food is usually good, and we are always served lunch extremely quickly.

I have had lately that the food is somewhat too salty though - so I always insist on the dish being not too salty now.

Bottom line: good for those simple, no fuss, decent business lunches
PS it's also roomy enough inside to bring kids along during the weekend

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This could be a cozy place with good food. It looks inviting from outside.

But it isn't cozy at all. It seems like the staff tries hard to comfort the client, but it just doesn't come across. Then there is the somewhat strange decoration (Pieces of art which don't make you hungry). Another reason might be the noise level (too few noise absorbing elements). Another reason might be the lady (the owner?) who is sitting in a corner of the place, eating sunflower seeds.
The food (salads) was OK, large portions, fresh lettuce, but only average in taste. We won't come back here unless the atmosphere changes much.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Friendly Service (but uneven some of the staff is much better than others). The staf is open to substitutions (I always order the duck with red curry which is not on the menu but they never complain),

The shrimp with lemon sauce appetizer was nice and well prepared but the chicken satay was a so so (the peanut sauce was bland).

The decor is nothing special but the place is clean and airy

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The service and the crew is H O R R I B L E. They are anti social by the way they speak and act. They first scream at you to take your order "TOI MANGER QUOI" (you eat what) in a tone that would make any child cry and don't let you the time you need to choose.
1 waitress served me an expired drink and didn't want to offer me anything in return (even not another drink), another waiter spilled the half of another and didn't bring another drink. When we called this ***** waiter, he said "but it's only a little, why would I" and we had to make a scene so that he does what he should have done since the beginning. And I 've never seen a smile on their face ! Run away from this place

1  Thank makin s