“Warm, cozy local place with fantastic food”
Review of Restaurant Sainte-Catherine - CLOSED

Restaurant Sainte-Catherine
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Really, incredibly special place. The owner and the waiter were both so funny and warm and welcoming. It's hard being in a foreign country, not speaking the language and going to a tiny little cafe. You never know how people will react to you... Well, here I can promise you it will be with a warm smile, open arms and a recommendation for the best thing cooking that day. The chef and the waiter chatted us up. They even had English menus.

We had an amazing wine with dinner. 3 of us, each got the 3 course dinner. This tiny place was packed and unfortunately we saw them have to turn away a few sad souls because of being overfull.

Side note: I still think often about how delicious the escargot was here... Garlicky, buttery, heavenly goodness.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

After fighting the crowds of the christmas market for several I stopped into this charming dining establishment. The owner greetede immediately, food was excellent, pricing reasonable. GO!!!

1  Thank markhenry1
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Before leaving my hotel very close to the St Catherine place on my arrival night I had a quick browse through trip advisor for restaurants in the area. I was hungry as this was my first real meal of the day. I had sat for a couple of hours on the plane and not been out all day apart from the walk down from Gare Central to the area, so I first did a small walking tour in the streets around my hotel, also quickly checked the Christmas market, saw plenty of restaurants but then went to this one.

The boards outside were as described in other reviews, 3 course menus for less than most places around there. Let’s give it a try I thought. It was a cold day and I had the soup for starter, plain but actually very good and the positive side of the meal. Lamb chops for main, tough and tasteless. I don't mean the meat lacked spices but maybe the meat had been there for a while already, wasn't best quality… The place was empty apart from two guys from the States sitting and talking "politics" with the owner after their meal. After they left, I was the only and probably last guest of the day.

As far as I remember I was asked for 18 euros and that's what I paid.

Some boots were still open on the Christmas market as I walked through again and thought I would probably even have enjoyed the market food better than the meal I had. Next time in Brussels I’ll have to do my research better or go to a restaurant I’ve tried before to avoid disappointments… having another look at other reviews of this place, maybe I caught a night a bit like the second one described under the title " “like fawlty towers!!” (5 Aug 2013). Maybe the real chef was not there at all, only the owner and some one he happened to know..??

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had a lovely meal in this restaurant. Steaks were cooked perfectly and tasted great from the grill. The owner/chef was really friendly and gave us a lovely welcome. The restaurant is small which also gives it a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Went here with the family. One 6 year old and two new borns. Would NOT recommend for small children. It is a small place with only a few tables and certainly felt more disruptive with the little ones. That being said, we had a wonderful meal. The kitchen is right in front and had the owner / chef calling out to us as he put the fillet on how we wanted it cooked. I had the pork normande with apples in a delicious sauce. Everything was freshly prepared and very tasty. Really enjoyable place and would like to go back with just my wife and I to enjoy on our own!

2  Thank S K