“Friendly Staff”
Review of Restaurant Sainte-Catherine - CLOSED

Restaurant Sainte-Catherine
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I dined here in late August 2012. We had to eat inside since the small patio area was already full. There was a TV going full blast. We asked that it be turned off. The waiter turned off the picture, but not the sound. We waited about 5 minutes, and went to the open kitchen area to ask if we could be seated outside due to the noise. They finally turned off the sound for the TV at that point. There was only one waiter. He was friendly, but very busy. It took a while to get our order placed since he would dart off after we asked a question, but before we could order.
The food was good, but pricey. With our bottle of wine, it was over 100 Euro for two people. Before we left, the owner came out and sat with us for a while. He was very enjoyable to talk to and made the experience much more enjoyable.

1  Thank Kerrinhp

Reviewed September 5, 2012

6 friends from Montreal, Canada, enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Sainte Catherine Restaurant in Brussels. The service was very friendly, the food was excellent and the price of the table d'hote was surprisingly reasonable. We were so pleased that we came back a week later!!

1  Thank Carmen C
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I gave the restaurant TODAY a chance because of the excellent rating on tripadvisor. To say it shortly: I would not go as far as the review of "743MarkB743", but we made a very similar experience:

we were the only guests there, very strange chef, average meat which wasn't cooked in a delicious way (meat and vegetables were "boring" and oily).

We wouldn't go the anymore and the rating on TA is far away from the truth! You better chose pasta divina (we were there a yesterday) ...

1  Thank hp85
Reviewed August 13, 2012

-located near St. Catherine's church and approximately a 15 minute walk from Grand Place, situated in a less busy area of Brussels
-indoor and outdoor seating
-greeted promptly by friendly staff members, English menu provided, owner also asked what kind of food we were in the mood for...he offered recommendations and assured us the food was fresh and made to order
-owner made our visit feel very personalized, even allowed us to view the Olympics
-timing of courses was appropriate, food was flavorful & delicious
-more expensive compared with other local restaurants

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Unfortunatly, I went to this place after reading about it on Tripadvisor, and it has made me lose all my faith in the reviews here on Tripadvisor. I really do belive this place has payed people to write good reviews to get high up on the list of restaurants, because it has nothing to do on a top ten list of restaurants in Brussels. Not even the top 1000. I simply can 't understand how anybody could enjoy a meal at this place. I have been to Brussels many times, and this has got to be one of the worst restaurant I have been to. The interior of this place is tatty and filthy with worn laminated menus, and the atmosphere is not there at all. The fact that I was the only customer there should have warned me before entering this place.

The owner, is just rude and constantly interrupting. Some have mentioned earlier that he is a charming fellow. Well, you would have to be desperatly in need of friends if you think so...The TV was on in the background.Very loud. The owner/chef presented the menu with filthy fingers , and a dirty chefs outfit , I almost felt like throwing up, when I got back to my hotel. Call me insane, but I don 't like chefs with dirty fingernails full of s***.

I ordered a steak. It was tasteless, and boring with hardly any sauce on the plate, presented in a junk-food restaurant kind of way. It looked like something you would expect to get from a petrol-station. It tasted like that too.

If you sit inside you get a direct view into the kitchen, wich is not recommended, if you want to keep some of your appetite. It is a dirty kitchen, and I was really angry with myself for not leaving the restaurant the moment I was served the apetizer. Supermarket salmon on a dry piece of toast...

THe menu gives you no information/price about drinks and I was served a beer I didnt like. After the second time I had to ask for another, I gave up, and just focused on finishing the meal so I could get out of there.

THis is not a particular cheap place, and fact is that you can find a better place anywhere else in Brussels. Even the touristy restaurants at Grand place is A LOT better than this one.

STAY AWAY!!!!