“Food names that would alarm Londoners!”
Review of Fanny Thai

Fanny Thai
Ranked #45 of 3,691 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2013

So, went there recently as it had been highly recommended. A nice feel about the place: good ambience and atmosphere. Given the menu and it had a wide range of what was Thai and also, I think, Vietnamese dishes. I was tempted to have a Tom Thit (true!) but opted for a Fanny instead. Both are names on the menu and I have a photograph to prove it! The Fanny was a selection of many separate dishes. A delicious soup to start then lots of other lovely food: spring rolls, dips, chicken, prawn and duck and beef all with a generous portion of boiled rice. One note of caution, however. On receiving the bill, we had been charged for two bottles of water (six Euros) when we'd had only one. They removed the extra charge without difficulty but I was a little irritated and wondered how often this little 'mistake' is made. As ever in Belgium, do try the very strong beers 7-8 ABV which washes a good 'Ruby' down with aplomb. And 'Ruby' is rhyming slang which is mentioned elsewhere in this review. And in case you don't know, a Ruby is a curry after a singer we never knew called Ruby Murray!

2  Thank George W
There are newer reviews for Fanny Thai

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We ate here on a busy Saturday night and took a table for 3 inside which, at that point, was away from the main throng of diners. We received the menus fairly quickly and gave a drinks order but they were very slow returning with the drinks and to take our food order, something that seems to be a theme through these reviews.

We opted for the 'Fanny' set menu. At €39 per head we had high expectations! They didn't disappoint. The chicken with coconut milk soup is probably the tastiest soup I have ever had. This was followed by a selection of delicious starters- Thai fish cakes, chicken satay, spring rolls. All superb. The 5 mains included crispy duck, beef in satay, mixed veg, chicken in garlic and king prawn in chilli. Some of the best Thai food I have experienced and all served in beautiful dishes to compliment the setting.

Whilst a bit slow, the staff were very friendly and welcoming. I would recommend getting a table in the centre of the restaurant as where we sat (at the back) made it hard to catch their eyes when wanting more drinks or the bill.

This is an expensive Thai restaurant- for 3 people it cost over €150 incl drinks but I will definitely return in the near future because the food was incredible and would get 5 stars if I rated that alone.

2  Thank Travelling_Wide
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Placed our order after waiting 15 minutes for a waiter. After our order was taken, we were moved to another table and served our wine and water. Ordered a fixed menu meal with three courses. All other tables received chips while waiting but our waiter never did or even came by our table. When the food finally came after an hour, it was not what I ordered. Waiter said it was his mistake and it would take a long time to get the correct food. I decided to just eat what they made. The waiter never came back to give us our bill or take our money. I had to get another waiter and there was no discount on the meal or any concern for their mistakes.

1  Thank Chad K
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'd read some of the reviews before going and seen that many people had commented on the bad service, although I was hoping the food would make up for it. In fact, our friends had previously been and confirmed that the service was intermittently terrible and wonderful. However, it must have been our lucky day because our waiter couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient.
We ordered a range of dishes to share, from salads to soups to mains and about half vegetarian and half with meat/seafood. Everything was faultless and delicious. I'm just remembering the fiery green papaya salad now and it's making my mouth water.
The décor is interesting too and there was a nice busy atmosphere.
Price-wise it's very reasonable for the quality of the food and I would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This seemed the most reasonable Thai restaurant in the center of Brussels based on reviews here. We were not dissapppinted. It's the busiest restaurant on a street of restaurants. We started with the mixed dumplings, which were outstanding. My wife had the pad thai with tofu for her main course--beautifully prepared and very good. I had the sauteed beef with garlic and chilis. Wow! What bold flavors. Mine was a bit too spicey, but that was my fault as I requested it spicy. Still, topped off with Singha beer, the entire meal waas outstanding. The appetizer, two main plates, and four beers cost us about 43 euros, which is a pretty good deal on central Brussels.