“A driver of opinion - positively in my case”
Review of Le Chalet Robinson

Le Chalet Robinson
Ranked #651 of 3,879 Restaurants in Brussels
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Rarely have I seen a restaurant cause such divided opinion on TripAdvisor. To my eyes, a peaceful, scenic locations on the outskirts of brussels. Unpretentious yet efficient service. High quality food (top quality steak) cooked perfectly. Hits a great balance between relaxation, service and quality. If that's a tourist trap, I'd be happily trapped !

Reviewed July 30, 2013

What a disappointment this turned out to be. Staff were arrogant and rude. Despite there being many empty tables with views over the lake we were rudely gestured at to sit at a table at the entrance gate with no view whatsoever. When I suggested that we'd prefer one of the empty tables, with no reservations on them, I got a shrug and "whatever" from the waiter. When another waiter eventually returned to our table to take our order - it was a Monday and the restaurant was not busy - he did not once look at us but spoke to his note pad the whole time, disgraceful attitude. We chooses two plates of pasta which were pleasant but certainly not worth the price. We waited for 15 minutes with empty plates trying to get the attention of a waiter. We had contemplated ordering dessert mainly because we had made such an effort to get to the restaurant but when a waiter did eventually give us attention and again was surly and rude we decided to get the bill and leave.
With a city that has so many superb restaurants I'm amazed this establishment exists but suspect that people are drawn to the location. Do yourself a favour and bring a picnic to visit the Island but stay away from this overpriced establishment staffed and managed by people who clearly do not wish to make your visit pleasant.

3  Thank blonayBelfast
Reviewed July 26, 2013

If you like Peruvian cuisine or you are simply fan of delicious ceviche, never order one at Chalet Robinzon because what they offer is the worst imitation of ceviche, basically what you get is a cod carpaccio with salad leafs on top, with no hint of that rich taste ceviche is so famous for. My tomato mozarella salad was another disappointment, so Le Chalet Robinzon turned out to be my poorest gastronomic experience in Brussels so far.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Since you wish that I review. There's another one for today.

I have been to Chalet for many years for a snack or a drink, which is not far from our house. It is in an island surrounded by a man-made lake in "Bois de la Cambre", and can be reached from the Park only by twin ferries.

We went without making a reservation (they wish it is done, specially during the week-ends). Just at that moment, the Head of Maitre d'Hotels came to salute us, and he showed us a convenient table. We were thirsty and asked for a beer. In the meantime the Chief proposed the daily menu, the calf's liver, (which I adore if well-prepared), accompanied with cooked vegetables and small potatoes.

It took 20 minutes to receive our glasses of beer, (without chips or peanuts). I looked at the face of the waiter. He realized and brought them in five minutes. By that time we had already finished the beer and asked for a bottle of red wine.

The calf's liver was over-cooked like a charcoal and of very inferior quality (with veins all around). We forced ourselves to eat only the tender part and swallowed with wine. Dame Blanche for desert, which was satisfactory.

It is sad that with such a nice view, you have a miserable restaurant (bistro!)

I made these remarks to the Chief of Maitre-d'Hotels. It is a big Establishment and, unfortunately, the Managing Director does not care!

2  Thank HGO12
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The idea of going to a restaurant on an island in a lake, particularly on a nice summer's evening, sounds like a nice one. But this restaurant was extremely disappointing.
Having never been there before, I took the opportunity to go with a business friend who was visiting Brussels. I can only say I was embarrassed by my choice. The food is extremely mediocre by Brussels standards, is very expensive for what you get, and most of the staff are surly and rude.
At the end of the evening I could only apologise to my friend and promise that next time we will go to one of the many much nicer restaurants that exist in Brussels. Sadly this restaurant is a let-down to the Brussels tourist industry and in my view should be avoided.

2  Thank Tim E