“Mixed feelings”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ireland
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a lunch at this restaurant. As starters we ordered frog's legs and snails. Both dishes were cooked in a garlic sauce and were really tasty. Our main - a rabbit in a beer sauce was really disappointing. The portion was huge, meat - tender but tasteless. We did not taste any beer flavor, in fact any flavor at all. We paid over €60 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 beers but we expected the price to be high as the restaurant is literally a minute walk from the Grand Place. So all in all we had mixed feelings about this place - starters great, mains - disappointment.

• Visited October 2012

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Moules”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I ordered the Moules and they were good, nothing to brag about. I've had better in other parts of the world.

• Visited October 2012
London
“OK but pricey”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Chose this restaurant because it's range of dishes advertised outside. I like both Escargot (snails) and Frogs Legs and (unusually) both were on offer.

We went into the restaurant late lunchtime. I ordered Mussels in garlic and my companion a chicken dish. Both were very nice although my mussels didn't appear to be in garlic but a different type of juice (which I couldn't identify). Normally I would have sent it back but it tasted OK and I wasn't in the mood to make a fuss!

My companion had a couple of questions about the dish she was looking to order but the waiter had only been there a couple of days (but poke good English) but he went off and asked the Chef and came back with the answers.

The owner was talking to some (obvious) regulars but didn't come over to us (not a problem for me as I don't like having to make conversation with a stranger when I'm eating!!).

The bill was fairly high (Euro 45 - almost £40) for only 2 main courses, a beer and a glass of wine but really no higher than all the other restauarants which are within spitting distance of the Grand Place.

In conclusion then, an OK place, food good, a bit pricey and not overly friendly.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank MaxLondon2
“Nice place to eat mossels :)”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you wanna eat something very Belgian I really recommend you that place! I'm Belgian so I know what I'm talking about! The boss is very simple and talks to his clients ;)

Kansas City, Missouri
“Enjoy GREAT mussels...and be treated like royalty.”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I visited Brussels for business with a colleague in mid-March, technically too early for mussels season, but we decided to try La Moule Sacree anyway. To be safe, we ordered Les Moules a l'Escargots (mussels prepared in garlic and butter, like escargots are typically prepared). We were pleased to find that the mussels were simply exquisite. Served with a small pasta dish, the mussels were tender and rich, and elegantly presented. The wine list is quite serviceable, and we found a wine which paired beautifully with the richness and boldness of the garlicky entree.

Many here have criticized the service, but I found the service to be simply extraordinary. You must understand that this is a place designed for slower, lingering dinners, not dine and dash tourist stops. Despite the fact that La Moule Sacree is surrounded by restaurants of the "eat-it-and-beat-it," quick snack style (pizza by the slice, gyros, etc.), it is a true gem in the rough. Don't be dissuaded by the surroundings. All the traps are there because of the location -- just steps away from the Grand Place, a dominant tourist destination.

I'm sure our experience was enhanced by the fact that I at least TRIED to speak French when we were greeted, when ordering, and throughout the meal. My very limited vocabulary wasn't quite adequate for everything, but the proprietor so appreciated the effort, he was VERY patient and kind, as well as helpful. I imagine that most of the reviews here complaining about the service are written by visitors who did not make the effort, and worse, lost patience when they were not easily understood.

When we finished our meal, the proprietor offered us free cigars with our after-dinner cocktails, from a selection of fine smokes. We were so pleased with the meal -- and with the kind and generous service -- that we returned for a second visit before leaving Brussels. And we were not disappointed. Having so loved the Moules a l'Escargots, we ordered them again, and found them just as mouth-wateringly delicious as they had been the few nights before. Again, the service was spot-on. Friendly, polite, considerate, and attentively well-timed.

If you find yourself in the area, and are NOT in a hurry, you won't be sorry if you decide to while away a couple hours here, enjoying some exceptional mussels, sipping some fine wine, and being treated like royalty.

• Visited March 2012