“Not worth it”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The service was really lousy. We had one server on the upper floors, who kept telling his that its not his table to serve and we have to wait for our server to attend to us??? when our server eventually did turn up, he hurried us telling us his shift is almost over. The restaurant is pretty colorful and huge. The interiors are pretty arabic. I think they have more than three floors for themselves. We asked for a bloody mary, he gave us a vodka, tomato juice and Tabasco?? Ordered for a Capricciosa Pizza, which was ok since its not a pizza joint. Onion Soup fine, Spaghetti bolognese.. pretty bland. Liked the rim steak and ice cream. What stands out is that they have really clean toilets, maintained by a lady who charges around 20 cents...

There are newer reviews for Drug Opera

Reviewed January 6, 2013

A good place to call in and rest the weary legs. The service is excellent and the food good and very reasonably priced. Heaters outside for the brave. As ever in Brussels a fine choice of beers to wash the food down.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We visited this bar/restaurant 3 times on our trip to Brussels. Twice for drinks outside and once to eat inside. We sat outside to drink watching the world go by under the gas heaters keeping us warm as our time in Brussels was rather chilly and wet. It was really busy so had to wait a while to be served as the waiter "ran" backwards and forwards. Our drinks arrived with our free nibbles that are always a welcome extra on our trips abroad!! We ate inside on an evening out and enjoyed the hustle bustle of the restaurant. The menu had lots of choices but the wine menu was limited. We had a very attentive waiter who quickly brought our food to the table and managed to keep an eye on topping our wine up whilst attending to numerous other tables. The food was lovely and were advised to share a dessert as they were rather large!!! Good food, good service, pleasant staff and restaurant!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I received a lovely gift of a restaurant voucher (Bongo) for Christmas from a friend. My wife and I chose to go to Drug Opera and phoned to reserve a table. We told the lady over the phone that we had the Bongo voucher and would like to reserve a table. "No problem" she said, reserving a table for 2 in the downstairs grill. When we arrived, we walked in the main door, and took a second to look around to see how to get downstairs, my wife was then bumped into by a waiter who just mumbled "pardon" and continued on his way. 2 seconds later another waiter bumped into me on purpose while mumbling "pardon". You see, the area into which you arrive in the Drug Opera when coming in the main door is where the waiters go back and forth between the bar and they just bustle past customers.

Anyway, not a great start but we went downstairs to our table. Very nice surroundings. Just to be sure we were in the right place (as the Drug Opera has 4 different floors) we told him we had the Bongo voucher. He then told us that he couldn't accept it (despite making the reservation over the phone and mentioning the voucher) and we could only use it upstairs. No problem, we went to the 1st floor, meandering past waiters literally running up and down the stairs, and asked for a table for 2. The waiter pointed at an empty table so we went over and sat down.

We browsed the menus and the waiter came over. We told him we had a Bongo voucher and he said ok, you have a choice between 2 different options, salmon on toast or crevettes for starters, and cordon bleu or something else unappealling for main course. I told him that we checked the website of Drug Opera and the website of Bongo with the profile for Drug Opera and no restriction in terms of choice was mentioned. He just shrugged his shoulders. Other websites participating in the Bongo voucher deal all clearly explain what restrictions on the menu are in place. As neither option available here seemed appealling to my wife and I, we decided to leave. We told the waiter thanks but we weren't interested. He then said, "ok you can choose anything from the menu up to value of 50 euro for your voucher" in what seemed a quick reversal of restaurant policy. We politely told him no thanks.

As we were leaving a couple sat at the table next to us. A different waiter came over and told them it was reserved (despite the lack of a reserved sign and lack of waiters escorting people to tables). The couples asked could they sit at the next table but the waiter just ignored them and walked off. We decided to go to Scheltema instead, a truly excellent restaurant which puts the Drug Opera to shame. The staff at Drug Opera seem extremely rude and apathetic. It is typical bad Belgian service. I would guess that they are very understaffed and underpaid, and that's probably why they just don't care. Either way, I won't go back there, no matter what their food tastes like.

1  Thank Danny188644
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Saw the reviews before going here, very mixed re. service but we went once for a mid afternoon drink and pudding and can only say wow.....the puds are amazing but HUGE so be warned. We ordered one each, I had the ice cream with meringue and it was too big to finish but did try my best! The service was great, the staff extremely friendly and funny so we went back that evening for dinner. I had the pizza which was huge and tasty and my boyfriend had the steak again, was big and great value compared to other restaurant we'd checked out for prices. Would definitely recommend going here and trying the food and the cocktails and guarantee you'll have a great night!