“Poorly Curated Collection”

Musee Magritte Museum - Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
The Brussels Card with Optional STIB Public...
Ranked #42 of 412 things to do in Brussels
Reviewed September 18, 2012

It's surprising that this is an entire museum. The collection could easily be housed as a wing in one of the many other museums in Brussels. If you're looking for some of his more iconic pieces save your money they are in Houston, Texas. The gift shop might be worth a visit since it has reproductions of the pieces you'd expect to be at a Magritte Museum.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)
All reviews
in 14 reviews
"interesting collection"
"place royale"

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Firstly, as other commentators have pointed out, all the best Magritte paintings are elsewhere. He was however very prolific, and there are many works on display here, just not very easy to see them as rooms so ridiculously dark!

Given the phenomenal amount that this extension must have cost, it is very poorly designed.

If you are not really interested in Magritte, I would suggest that you avoid the attraction of the combi ticket with the adjoining Beaux Arts Musee, and just visit that instead!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Good luck finding your way around this museum. The signage (or lack of) will confuse you. After wandering for 15 minutes trying to find the entrance we were put on an elevator and taken to the fourth floor. We walked around the darkened rooms and ended up in the hallway again, left to wonder "C'est tout???" Thankfully we walked downstairs and found the rest of the museum. FYI- there are three more floors of his work to explore. Overall the art work is brilliant and worth the visit; despite being a pain to navigate (my husband couldn't find the exit either..) Good luck.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Belgians were late to celebrate their best modern painter, and as a result, nearly all of Magritte's best paintings are elsewhere. If you want to see his top art, you can just visit the gift shop and look at the posters instead of buying a ticket.

There are two or three great Magrittes here, along with the advertising stuff he did, and plenty of his correspondence (who cares?). There are also a lot of his paintings which might have you revising your opinion of him. If you only knew Magritte by the paintings here, you'd wonder why the heck the museum planners had gone to such lengths to celebrate him.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am a massive Magritte fan and visiting this 'museum' was one of the main reasons I visited Brussels. However it massively disappointed for a number of reasons:
1. Its horribly designed, being so dark and so badly/incorrectly lit that on many occasions I had to move around, shading my eyes, to see a painting, because of the terrible glare from harsh and poorly-positioned spotlights. The walls are painted a very dark colour and so it's a gloomy very unvisitor friendly place. I am shocked that whoever designed this was allowed to do this - surely they should have taken good examples from some of the wonderful other exhibitions such as the Picasso Museum in Malaga.
2. Its not a museum. Its an art gallery/exhibition. There are no artefacts etc from Magritte's life to help round out the visitor experience and tell his story.
3. Much of the interpretation is in French or Dutch, not translated into English. So you feel as if you are missing parts of the story.
4. Another reviewer mentioned an issue with the coatcheck. The design again is so poorly thought out that when I went to enter the exhibition, I was told my document bag was too big and I had to check it in. That was fine with me (its free) but then I had to queue again to go back through security. The elderly very unfriendly man on security was extremely unwelcoming. Only when I got through security did I realise that there were audio guides available for 4 euros - but of course my bag and money was in the cloakroom. I couldn't bear the pain of trying to get back out to get some money, then going through security again as by this time it was around 3.30 pm and it closes at 5pm. Maybe the guide would have made a difference to my experience - but I'm in this business and no attraction should have to rely on the guide. And it couldn't overcome the dark, gloomy decor that makes you want to go running into the sunshine!
5. The signage between galleries is really poor - I became disorientated and ended up going in through the exit door (signage only in French//Dutch, again) and I spotted quite a few people doing the same. Also there's a film at the very end about Magritte's life, after you think you've exited the galleries, but there's nothing much to tell you its there.
So in all, what should be wonderful with (I think) wonderful paintings is sadly let down by terrible decor, poor lighting, bad signage - if you're going, take some money for the audio guide in case you have to check in your bag, and watch out for the film at the end.
The lack of any response from the 'museum' on here shows they don't read these, or care....to any Magritte fans, I still think its worth seeing real Magrittes but you may well be disappointed at how its presented.

2  Thank SiobhanMcGui

Travelers who viewed Musee Magritte Museum - Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium also viewed

Been to Musee Magritte Museum - Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium? Share your experiences!