“Great accomodation in central Brussels”
Review of Theater Hotel

Theater Hotel
Ranked #161 of 211 Brussels B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed for 4 days this summer following a similar stay last year. Yes, it is in a red light district - but it is not a seedy area: there are families living here too.It is very central and next to a metro stop and Gare du Nord. If anything it feels more secure to be walking home from the festival in the evening because there are people around!

We had a different flat this time - in a building around the corner on the top floor and, again it was done to a very high standard. It was clean, very spacious -think a single bedroom flat not a 'hotel room' in a conventional sense.Very good bed and good shower pressure in the bathroom. Limited cutlery/cooking utensils, but we didn't use the kitchenet. If you are British and want tea- bring a kettel with you :-)

We didn't pay for breakfast, so cannot coment on that. But there are a myriad of places to eat around here. The check in takes a while at a busy time but it's the same everywhere. I cannot see a reason to pay double to stay anywhere else in Brussels.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor opposite Studio 2000 - it can get noisy on the week-end with traffic.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We are staying at the Theater Hotel now and are very happy with our choice. The brand new renovations to the building we are staying in are really enjoyable. It feels like being in a brand new home. Well done. The room is spacious with plenty of channels on the TV to choose from. We are not in the main building with the reception, but just directly across the street which is no bother. We did not choose a tariff with breakfast, so could not comment on whether it is good or not. There is however free tea and coffee at the main reception area which is a really nice touch.
As previous reviewers have stated, this is an area with lots of ladies working outside but we have not been aware of any problems with that. There is a small supermarket at the bottom of the street and if you do take the closest entry to the metro, it is only 30 to 40 metres away. The hotel is within walking distance (or a metro ride) to the old centre and a short metro ride to the main Brussels Midi train station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked a cheap hotel online with a good location and didn't expect to much of it. What we got was a stylish modern and clean room with a great location in central Brussels. The Yzer metro-station is literally 30m away. There are a few nice and cheap breakfast cafes (4,50€-6,50€/person) close by if you don't want to pay the 10€/person fee for the hotels breakfast. There are some nice restaurants in the area as well my recommendations goes to the fabulous Ethiopian restaurant Toukoul just a few hundred meters from the hotel on Rue de Laeken.
If you want to walk to Grand Place that is gonna take you about 15min. We enjoyed our 5 nights at the theater hotel. Oh I forgot to mention that the street was not over run by prostitutes. The city had put a road block so that cars could no longer circulate Rue Van Gaver which had probably driven most of the prostitutes to the corner of the old theater building at Hooikai, and even there, there was only a handful so nothing to worry about.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The website says it is 30 feet from the Yser Metro Station...but it's not. The metro has multiple exits, so be sure to exit on the correct side. Then you have to walk a few blocks. There is a sign on the door, but no sign above. They have multiple buildings, so they showed us on a map how to get to our building. I actually, would not be able to explain how to get to this place to someone who hadn't been already. We had to put in the address in our phone to find it.

As many of the reviews said, there are "ladies of the evening" in the area. It is not in the red light district (that's by the main train station, in case you're curious, next to a street with really cheap stuff, like 10 euro luggage). But they are everywhere.

We had a room with 2 twin beds, a little living room area with a minifridge (which I was really excited about so I could drink refrigerated water), and a bathroom, which was of decent size. There is no a/c so we had to sleep with the windows open. My friend sleeps through anything, but I am a light sleeper and sleeping in this neighborhood was challenging. The prostitutes were right below our window, so I could hear the constant clicking of their heels along the cobblestone sidewalk, conversations, the screaming of men, and...well...sex once. They all did seem friendly when we walked by them. Some reviews said they would bring their families here, but if I had kids, I would not bring them here, unless you would like to explain a lot of things.

Alvin was the guy at the reception and he was AMAZING!! Ask him to recommend his favorite Thai place, which is my favorite meal of my stay in Europe so far. Really, ask him anything - he never once steered us wrong.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place was great if you want to get away from the crazy tourist traps and throngs of shopping crazed females clutching onto their shopping bags. This place was very clean, very friendly and located where all the locals hang out. There is a store 1/2 block away. They upgraded us to a big apartment for free. I think we paid we paid $70 USD. It is 1 block south of a metro. There is a store 1/2 block away. If you need the tourist trap, you can walk 3/4 of a mile south and go crazy.

The prostitutes: Yes there are lots of prostitutes doing what they do best but they are all friendly. They even helped us find the hotel. They leave you alone, no hassles. The cops are around so I felt very safe. Plus you see the local color which I prefer over the pure tourist trap. At night there is more banter and the occasional honking horn, but the windows are new and filters 95% of it all. For me, this was a PRO, but I like the local scene and not the fake expensive tourist facade.

CONS:

- I couldn't get the wifi to work with my iphone
- Shower leaked
- Door knob came off bathroom

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great hotel, the location is perfect, just around 15-20mins walk to the city centre or 2 stations in metro. It is not hard to locate the hotel. There are some hookers around the hotel, but as long as you stay away from them, they won't affect your stay. The room is perfect, large and clean with wifi signal. The only bad thing will be the breakfast. It is too expensive, I suggest you eat out.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great hotel!

When I arrived at the front desk on Van Gaver, the man at the front desk had told us our room had been upgraded to a suite, so that was a nice surprise. He also showed us on a map everything we would want to see in Brussels, so that was helpful as well!

The room was located on Hooikaai (or Quai au Foin), as the front desk is just on Van Gaver. It is one street over. The room itself was great! It had a little kitchen, a mini fridge, utensils, dishes, a flat screen TV, a couch and coffee table, and a huge bed! The bed was comfy, the room itself was very nice, and the bathroom was pretty good as well. The first day we noticed the door on the shower was a little hard to open or close, because something was broken, but we did not even have to mention it to the front desk, it was fixed the next day!

We had absolutely no problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone staying in Brussels!

This is a great location if you're thinking of visiting areas in Belgium (Gare du Nord is only about a 10 minute walk away, and is where you would catch your train), or if you want to go to the Netherlands, or elsewhere in Europe (Gare Centrale is one stop away from Saint Catherine Metro, and Saint Catherine Metro is less than a 10 minute walk from Hooikaai street where our hotel room was).

Yes, there are prostitutes on the street when you come in and leave, no matter what time of day it is, but they do not bother you, and the area itself does not feel sketchy or unsafe. I have no idea what anyone else is talking about, when they speak negatively about the area.