“Comfort in Brussels”

Ranked #136 of 209 Brussels B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Comfort in Brussels”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked a cheap hotel online with a good location and didn't expect to much of it. What we got was a stylish modern and clean room with a great location in central Brussels. The Yzer metro-station is literally 30m away. There are a few nice and cheap breakfast cafes (4,50€-6,50€/person) close by if you don't want to pay the 10€/person fee for the hotels breakfast. There are some nice restaurants in the area as well my recommendations goes to the fabulous Ethiopian restaurant Toukoul just a few hundred meters from the hotel on Rue de Laeken.
If you want to walk to Grand Place that is gonna take you about 15min. We enjoyed our 5 nights at the theater hotel. Oh I forgot to mention that the street was not over run by prostitutes. The city had put a road block so that cars could no longer circulate Rue Van Gaver which had probably driven most of the prostitutes to the corner of the old theater building at Hooikai, and even there, there was only a handful so nothing to worry about.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The website says it is 30 feet from the Yser Metro Station...but it's not. The metro has multiple exits, so be sure to exit on the correct side. Then you have to walk a few blocks. There is a sign on the door, but no sign above. They have multiple buildings, so they showed us on a map how to get to our building. I actually, would not be able to explain how to get to this place to someone who hadn't been already. We had to put in the address in our phone to find it.

As many of the reviews said, there are "ladies of the evening" in the area. It is not in the red light district (that's by the main train station, in case you're curious, next to a street with really cheap stuff, like 10 euro luggage). But they are everywhere.

We had a room with 2 twin beds, a little living room area with a minifridge (which I was really excited about so I could drink refrigerated water), and a bathroom, which was of decent size. There is no a/c so we had to sleep with the windows open. My friend sleeps through anything, but I am a light sleeper and sleeping in this neighborhood was challenging. The prostitutes were right below our window, so I could hear the constant clicking of their heels along the cobblestone sidewalk, conversations, the screaming of men, and...well...sex once. They all did seem friendly when we walked by them. Some reviews said they would bring their families here, but if I had kids, I would not bring them here, unless you would like to explain a lot of things.

Alvin was the guy at the reception and he was AMAZING!! Ask him to recommend his favorite Thai place, which is my favorite meal of my stay in Europe so far. Really, ask him anything - he never once steered us wrong.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place was great if you want to get away from the crazy tourist traps and throngs of shopping crazed females clutching onto their shopping bags. This place was very clean, very friendly and located where all the locals hang out. There is a store 1/2 block away. They upgraded us to a big apartment for free. I think we paid we paid $70 USD. It is 1 block south of a metro. There is a store 1/2 block away. If you need the tourist trap, you can walk 3/4 of a mile south and go crazy.

The prostitutes: Yes there are lots of prostitutes doing what they do best but they are all friendly. They even helped us find the hotel. They leave you alone, no hassles. The cops are around so I felt very safe. Plus you see the local color which I prefer over the pure tourist trap. At night there is more banter and the occasional honking horn, but the windows are new and filters 95% of it all. For me, this was a PRO, but I like the local scene and not the fake expensive tourist facade.

CONS:

- I couldn't get the wifi to work with my iphone
- Shower leaked
- Door knob came off bathroom

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great hotel, the location is perfect, just around 15-20mins walk to the city centre or 2 stations in metro. It is not hard to locate the hotel. There are some hookers around the hotel, but as long as you stay away from them, they won't affect your stay. The room is perfect, large and clean with wifi signal. The only bad thing will be the breakfast. It is too expensive, I suggest you eat out.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great hotel!

When I arrived at the front desk on Van Gaver, the man at the front desk had told us our room had been upgraded to a suite, so that was a nice surprise. He also showed us on a map everything we would want to see in Brussels, so that was helpful as well!

The room was located on Hooikaai (or Quai au Foin), as the front desk is just on Van Gaver. It is one street over. The room itself was great! It had a little kitchen, a mini fridge, utensils, dishes, a flat screen TV, a couch and coffee table, and a huge bed! The bed was comfy, the room itself was very nice, and the bathroom was pretty good as well. The first day we noticed the door on the shower was a little hard to open or close, because something was broken, but we did not even have to mention it to the front desk, it was fixed the next day!

We had absolutely no problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone staying in Brussels!

This is a great location if you're thinking of visiting areas in Belgium (Gare du Nord is only about a 10 minute walk away, and is where you would catch your train), or if you want to go to the Netherlands, or elsewhere in Europe (Gare Centrale is one stop away from Saint Catherine Metro, and Saint Catherine Metro is less than a 10 minute walk from Hooikaai street where our hotel room was).

Yes, there are prostitutes on the street when you come in and leave, no matter what time of day it is, but they do not bother you, and the area itself does not feel sketchy or unsafe. I have no idea what anyone else is talking about, when they speak negatively about the area.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 9, 2013

From the point of view of a business traveller who goes regularly to Brussels, this hotel is one of the best deals I've found. In short: comfortable, clean, great internet, but not the most "touristy" (if that's what you're looking for).

It's locate at walking distance from the Noord Station and a short walk from the centre of Brussels, in an area with quite some trendy bars to go out.

It's not in the official "Red Light" with girls on the show windows (that one is on the east side of the North Station) but over time this area has become a place of street prostitution, around the block of buildings where the hotel is.

It's not a dodgy area though, and the several times I stayed there I've never been bothered by them... "if you don't look like you're shopping, they won't try to sell".

(+) Positives

The look is modern, with the rooms all refurbished in an "clean" IKEA-style design, simple but very welcoming.

The hotel is composed by several buildings (around 7 in total), so if you don't get a room in the main building, you actually get the feeling of entering your own apartment.

Main big advantage? The wifi is awesome. Really, is was fantastic! The best I've ever had in any of the hotels I've stayed in Brussels. I mean real broadband (+10 mbps) like you would expect to have at home. If a good internet connection is essential for you when staying abroad, do yourself a favour and try this hotel.

Note: like mentioned before about the several buildings, YMMV according to where your room is located. Once there was a clear dead spots in a room I stayed (due to the thick walls in the construction of the buildings) but still great speed when I repositioned to a place within range.

(–) Negatives

At times it can be a little bit noisy hookers outside the street at night, considering it is in a prostitution area.

Since the buildings are quite old the noise isolation isn't ideal, but from the several times I stayed there it didn't really bother me much.

Breakfast didn't really feel it was worth the price, specially considering the hefty price tag (10€) and that just around the block you have the Flamingo bar with very good breakfast options at a much better price.

Room Tip: In case you rely on a good internet connection (as is typically the case of business travellers), sa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel has the best rooms I've stayed in during my month long trip around Europe. We were 3 in a 4 person room and we felt like we were in an apartment. Our room was spread across 3 floors with one bedroom/living room with a plasma TV and cable. The other one is in the basement with a really comfortable king sized bed. There is a router for wifi in the room, they provide towels, soap, shampoo, some utensils and dishes (those were dirty though, so we had to clean them before using them). The toilet is in a different room than the shower, which ended up being a good thing as one of us liked to shower for a long time. I would recommend staying there, but don't expect a hotel nor a hostel experience. Also there are a lot of prostitutes on the streets surrounding the hotel, but they never talked to us, we just found it funny.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends