“Hidden gem of a boutique hotel in central Brussels”
Review of Esperance

Esperance
Ranked #90 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Located in a very quiet street off the crowded shopping street of Rue Neuve, the hotel is entered by its charming Art Deco tavern (furnished with its original period furniture, lights and painted glass windows) and then pass through a door to meet a complete contrast of modern contemporary design. Our bedroom had minimalist design furniture and was not big but it had everything we needed, including a comfortable bed! The bathroom is well equipped (Hansgrohe taps, Duravit sink) and the shower huge with a large shower head.
Hotel is within short walking distance of the Cartoon Museum, the excellent seafood restaurants of the Quai des Briques and the trendy designer area around the rue Dansaert (and we easily walked to the Bozar a little further away). Also conveniently located close to the de Brouckere and Rougier stations for direct and quick connection to the Gare du Midi.
Breakfast was simple but good, with excellent croissants (and included in the price). Very friendly staff who took the time to explain the origins of the hotel (ask about its racy past!) and kindly sent my forgotten hat back to Paris for free. Parts of the tavern are in need of restoration but the owners are not allowed to touch anything until they receive permission from the government as the tavern is a protected architectural monument.
Yes, the staircase is narrow but we were delighted with our choice of hotel. Better value than any of the other design boutique hotels and bed&breakfasts in Brussels and better located.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KWSParis

Reviewed October 13, 2010

The room was the best among those that we booked during our trip which included 5 different hotels in 5 different cities (within the same budget range).

The interior was adorable! I was instantly happy when I walked in, despite the fact that I had to climb 4 sets of steep stairs (read: no elevator!). There was a heater for the WC and the room itself, which is perfect for winter but totally useless in other seasons. There was no airconditioning, so beware when booking for the summer season. There is a nearby church, whose bell kept ringing (very loudly, since you will have your window open) every hour until 9 PM. The linen and curtains were full of lint (static was at a high level because of the carpet), so if you're severely allergic, don't book a room.

Despite the seemingly negative stuff I wrote, I really would recommend this hotel - cheap, but you'd think you booked an expensive one :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bugger_burger
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We thought it would be nice to stay in a small art deco hotel in Brussels rather than one of those big soulless places and it was really quite nice. The hotel is just off Rue Neuve and about 10-15 minutes walk from the Grand Place. It's a pretty little tavern with many original art deco features to its facade and pub interior but the rooms have been 'done up' and seem to be mainly quite contemporary judging by the website and brochure. Our room was on the second floor and overlooking the little street - bedrooms on the side of the building must be a fair bit smaller and with a view of a grotty alleyway. Anyway our room was big and bright - lots of orange made it very fresh-looking - with a smart shower room/toilet. All in all we were very pleased with it and also with the staff who are very nice and welcoming. A couple of points though - their workmen have let them down a bit in the quality of the workmanship and our door handle came off in our hands and the door to the balcony was so warped it didn't close properly, making it very noisy (this city never sleeps) and it will be cold when the weather changes too. Very oddly, the owners don't seem to have provided anywhere for you to put your clothes - no wardrobe, just one hook on which you could balance the 5 coat hangers provided and no drawers - we had to live out of our cases for our 4 day stay. TV is all French and Dutch language stations which is educational - they have a pay tv system which I think would have got us a wider selection but they didn't push it and we didn't think to ask. They give you free internet but again don't make a big deal of it. Breakfast is a bit basic and there isn't a lot of it may be better value to go round the corner to the Exki cafe which is excellent.
The place is small and it seems to be early days; I hope they make it, as it's great to see a lovely building brought back from dereliction. So far though very few people seem to know it's there and the bar can be a bit quiet and lacking in atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheLewises
Reviewed August 13, 2010

This little hidden gem hotel offers art deco style rooms in a side street of the largest shopping street of Brussels. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfast was good. The only problem was the lack of elevator because it was hard to lift my luggage on the small staircase.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank nagytibi
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This hotel is okay, I stayed there with my spouse for two nights. One of the nights was VERY hot and the other was still little bit cooler (but not much). Our hotel room was on the 4th floor, there is no elevator and as you climbed the stairs you could feel it getting hotter. When we reached the top floor we were sweating (and we are in good shape). The hotel room was hot, hot, hot. We opened the window and slept with it wide open throughout the night, both nights. We also were not informed that the breakfast is at 10:30 on weekends and 10:00 weekdays, so we showed up for breakfast late due to the lack of communication. The area where the hotel is, is very good as far as dining, shopping, etc. I would stay at this hotel again if I could not find others, it is priced less than many hotels in brussels and does offer free wi-fi but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JML0810
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Was looking for a hotel that was not a run of the mill chain and found this little gem. Situated on a side street off of one of the main shopping streets in Brussels the hotel is small but provides all the facilities that you would need for a short stay - clean modern rooms and breakfast served in the cafe on the ground floor.

The rooms are not overly large but do have a good sized bed. The bathroom may not be to everyones taste - the shower has a transparent glass wall which faces the bed !

Overall a good experience and ideal for those looking for something a little different

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fourstardust
Reviewed May 15, 2010

My colleague & I stayed in the Esperance in March when we attended an in-service course in Brussels.

I was in charge of booking our accommodation & left it quite late to do so; consequently many of the better rated hotels were beyond our nightly budget of €140 each. I stumbled on this hotel by chance while looking through a hotel booking website & decided to try it as it looked nice & came in under budget. I think it cost about €120 per night, not including breakfast which according to the website cost €10 per person per day.

We travelled to Brussels by train, & wandered up & down the street looking for the hotel which we eventually found tucked away in a little side street leading directly on to the main shopping street.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no reception desk; instead you have to check in at the bar which was rather unusual. We were pleasantly surprised to be offered breakfast for €5 per person per day rather than the €10 we had been quoted on the booking website, & we were also given passwords for free WiFi access which lasted for 24 hours & which could be renewed for free after they ran out. I was upgraded to a luxury room which was also a nice surprise.

The stairs up to the bedrooms was nicely decorated but would pose problems I imagine to less mobile people as they were quite shallow & winding. The concierge kindly brought my suitcase to my room & showed me & my colleague around.

My bedroom was decorated in a very funky, modern style & was very comfortable. There was a great wall mounted flat screen TV (which only had Flemish & French language TV stations though), & the bathroom was also very striking with a glass panel between the shower & the bedroom. If you are sharing with a companion, let's just say that privacy would not want to be an issue!

My bed was comfortable & I slept well on each of the three nights. Overall I really liked my decadent orange room- the brightness was tempered somewhat by the sumptuous full-length beige velvet curtains. My colleague was also very happy with his standard room- he even had a jacuzzi!

My only real problem was how cold my room was when I first arrived- the window was open & all the radiators were off, but by the time I returned later that night, it had warmed up nicely. I also felt that the toiletries were a bit too basic & cheap for such a nice hotel.

Breakfast was simple but adequate (standard continental), & the waiter or waitress gladly brought refills of tea & coffee as requested. It seems to be a very small hotel, & there weren't many other guests. I imagine that it receives more weekend guests as it would appeal more to tourists than business travellers.

In conclusion, I would give a huge thumbs up the the Esperance in every respect- value, location, comfort, service... I really enjoyed my three nights there as did my colleague, & would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Brussels.

I am in fact returning to Brussels next weekend (for pleasure this time) & I suggested the Esperance to the group of 12 that we are part of. However, someone had already spotted a really good deal in the 5* Metropole so that was booked instead. It will be interesting to see if it can match the Esperance for me- somehow I'd doubt it though.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business