“Art Deco tavern in back street Brussels” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esperance

Esperance
Ranked #60 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
Caerphilly
“Art Deco tavern in back street Brussels”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We thought it would be nice to stay in a small art deco hotel in Brussels rather than one of those big soulless places and it was really quite nice. The hotel is just off Rue Neuve and about 10-15 minutes walk from the Grand Place. It's a pretty little tavern with many original art deco features to its facade and pub interior but the rooms have been 'done up' and seem to be mainly quite contemporary judging by the website and brochure. Our room was on the second floor and overlooking the little street - bedrooms on the side of the building must be a fair bit smaller and with a view of a grotty alleyway. Anyway our room was big and bright - lots of orange made it very fresh-looking - with a smart shower room/toilet. All in all we were very pleased with it and also with the staff who are very nice and welcoming. A couple of points though - their workmen have let them down a bit in the quality of the workmanship and our door handle came off in our hands and the door to the balcony was so warped it didn't close properly, making it very noisy (this city never sleeps) and it will be cold when the weather changes too. Very oddly, the owners don't seem to have provided anywhere for you to put your clothes - no wardrobe, just one hook on which you could balance the 5 coat hangers provided and no drawers - we had to live out of our cases for our 4 day stay. TV is all French and Dutch language stations which is educational - they have a pay tv system which I think would have got us a wider selection but they didn't push it and we didn't think to ask. They give you free internet but again don't make a big deal of it. Breakfast is a bit basic and there isn't a lot of it may be better value to go round the corner to the Exki cafe which is excellent.
The place is small and it seems to be early days; I hope they make it, as it's great to see a lovely building brought back from dereliction. So far though very few people seem to know it's there and the bar can be a bit quiet and lacking in atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheLewises

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

This little hidden gem hotel offers art deco style rooms in a side street of the largest shopping street of Brussels. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfast was good. The only problem was the lack of elevator because it was hard to lift my luggage on the small staircase.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank nagytibi
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

This hotel is okay, I stayed there with my spouse for two nights. One of the nights was VERY hot and the other was still little bit cooler (but not much). Our hotel room was on the 4th floor, there is no elevator and as you climbed the stairs you could feel it getting hotter. When we reached the top floor we were sweating (and we are in good shape). The hotel room was hot, hot, hot. We opened the window and slept with it wide open throughout the night, both nights. We also were not informed that the breakfast is at 10:30 on weekends and 10:00 weekdays, so we showed up for breakfast late due to the lack of communication. The area where the hotel is, is very good as far as dining, shopping, etc. I would stay at this hotel again if I could not find others, it is priced less than many hotels in brussels and does offer free wi-fi but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JML0810
Zaandam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

Was looking for a hotel that was not a run of the mill chain and found this little gem. Situated on a side street off of one of the main shopping streets in Brussels the hotel is small but provides all the facilities that you would need for a short stay - clean modern rooms and breakfast served in the cafe on the ground floor.

The rooms are not overly large but do have a good sized bed. The bathroom may not be to everyones taste - the shower has a transparent glass wall which faces the bed !

Overall a good experience and ideal for those looking for something a little different

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fourstardust
Karlsruhe, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

My colleague & I stayed in the Esperance in March when we attended an in-service course in Brussels.

I was in charge of booking our accommodation & left it quite late to do so; consequently many of the better rated hotels were beyond our nightly budget of €140 each. I stumbled on this hotel by chance while looking through a hotel booking website & decided to try it as it looked nice & came in under budget. I think it cost about €120 per night, not including breakfast which according to the website cost €10 per person per day.

We travelled to Brussels by train, & wandered up & down the street looking for the hotel which we eventually found tucked away in a little side street leading directly on to the main shopping street.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no reception desk; instead you have to check in at the bar which was rather unusual. We were pleasantly surprised to be offered breakfast for €5 per person per day rather than the €10 we had been quoted on the booking website, & we were also given passwords for free WiFi access which lasted for 24 hours & which could be renewed for free after they ran out. I was upgraded to a luxury room which was also a nice surprise.

The stairs up to the bedrooms was nicely decorated but would pose problems I imagine to less mobile people as they were quite shallow & winding. The concierge kindly brought my suitcase to my room & showed me & my colleague around.

My bedroom was decorated in a very funky, modern style & was very comfortable. There was a great wall mounted flat screen TV (which only had Flemish & French language TV stations though), & the bathroom was also very striking with a glass panel between the shower & the bedroom. If you are sharing with a companion, let's just say that privacy would not want to be an issue!

My bed was comfortable & I slept well on each of the three nights. Overall I really liked my decadent orange room- the brightness was tempered somewhat by the sumptuous full-length beige velvet curtains. My colleague was also very happy with his standard room- he even had a jacuzzi!

My only real problem was how cold my room was when I first arrived- the window was open & all the radiators were off, but by the time I returned later that night, it had warmed up nicely. I also felt that the toiletries were a bit too basic & cheap for such a nice hotel.

Breakfast was simple but adequate (standard continental), & the waiter or waitress gladly brought refills of tea & coffee as requested. It seems to be a very small hotel, & there weren't many other guests. I imagine that it receives more weekend guests as it would appeal more to tourists than business travellers.

In conclusion, I would give a huge thumbs up the the Esperance in every respect- value, location, comfort, service... I really enjoyed my three nights there as did my colleague, & would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Brussels.

I am in fact returning to Brussels next weekend (for pleasure this time) & I suggested the Esperance to the group of 12 that we are part of. However, someone had already spotted a really good deal in the 5* Metropole so that was booked instead. It will be interesting to see if it can match the Esperance for me- somehow I'd doubt it though.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mrs_A_Fitz
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, small & a perfect, special boutique hotel. The rooms are fully renovated, lovely & comfortable. It's also very central. I can't ask for anything more. It's better than what I expected when I booked the hotel. From the photos I expected it to be something nice and pleasant and convenient. It's all that, but with a lot of character and quite funky too. WAY better than any business hotel that's just the same from city to city. Will go back and want to tell all of my friends about it.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

Hotel Esperance is situated to the north of the major tourist sights in Brussels, on a small side street off the Boulevard Adolphe Max. We went by Metro to Rogier and walked south, but you can also get the underground tram part of the Metro to de Brouckere and walk north, which is probably a bit closer. There’s no reception to speak of, you go inside the rather nice-looking art-deco bar and ask whoever’s serving about checking in. The rooms are arranged over three floors, with no lift access for those with mobility problems – as there’s only a single staircase.

We were in a room at the end of one of the corridors, overlooking a pedestrianised alley. The room was fantastic, modern and rather imaginatively laid out with a double bed (rare in Brussels) and a long thin bathroom in futuristic white tile, with an enormous shower – which itself had a window looking out into the room – good job we were a couple and not after a twin room! There’s a large plasma TV and a thick rug with some nice chairs, but not much in the way of storage – four coathangers and no drawers (not that we minded particularly).

Breakfast is served in the bar, continental selection of the usual variety – although we arrived towards the end of the timescale (7-10am) on both occasions and almost everything had gone, so get there early (and the hotel wasn’t even half full, I’d guess). But what we managed to grab was pretty good. We didn’t try the bar in the evening, heading into town for some other places instead. The main street (Adolphe Max, which becomes Boulevard Anspach) looked pretty grotty with groups of drunk men and homeless people, but we weren’t bothered directly by anybody. If you go one street east from the hotel entrance there’s the pedestrianised Rue Neuve which was nicer to walk down, and handy for clothes shops. There’s a giant department store there as well (City 2).

Overall it was a great hotel, the rooms looked very individual and the people we met who worked there seemed very nice. The gentleman who checked us in spoke no English, and the one who checked us out seemed pretty fluent, so you may need to speak French depending on who you get. One minor downside was the Eglise Finistere, a rather large church next door to the hotel – light sleepers might be annoyed by the hourly bongs that seemed to start at about 6am. We got a reasonably cheap deal with the Esperance, and if we ever go to Brussels, will probably return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple