2Go4 Grand Place
$146
$117
Novotel
  • Pool
Ibis Brussels off Grand Place(Brussels)(Great Value!)
$109
$230
$174
Trip.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsperfect locationminute walkharengslocated stepsan en suite bathroomfree coffee and teabed female dormmain receptionyour luggageroom cardcommon roomeuros per nightquiet at nightthe ground floorwould stay againcomfortable bedvisit brussels
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Based on conflicting reviews, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to stay at this hostel. However, the location and good price for the area convinced me to take a gamble. I am so glad that I did!

First, the location absolutely cannot be beat in terms of its unbelievably close proximity to the Grand Place as well as attractions, restaurants, and shops and at night adequate security is provided. The only downside (besides the free WiFi being spotty) was having to go to the other hostel to check in, but the walk is not very far and was very scenic (obviously, it's Brussels!) and pleasant, so this was a small 'price' to pay relative to the overall experience.

The room was still being cleaned when we arrived, but the cleaning lady graciously allowed us to settle in and was more than willing to provide the extra sheets that my friend and I both desired. The blanket provided was actually a down comforter with laundered slip cover. I was literally in heaven. A down comforter at inexpensive hostel! I was also pleasantly surprised by the bathrooms as well, especially the rain-fall/overhead shower with a thoughtfully shielded area for towels/clothes. Our bathroom was a bit tight for an eight-bed room, but it was functional in its layout and remarkably clean.

The owner, an initially gruff but ultimately very accommodating and friendly man, showed us with pride the recently finished kitchen- pointing out the logic behind his choices, most of which emphasized cleanliness and durability. The choice of upscale finishes throughout the facility (notably the kitchen and bathrooms) is to be commended. Though the noise from renovation construction projects during the day was a bit much, it stopped at a very reasonable time in the early evening. When they have their elevator installed the irksome stairs will cease to be a source of irritation for all guests I'm sure, but until then I wouldn't recommend this hostel to the mobile-impaired, as they have no ground-floor rooms.

I would gladly stay at this hostel again, especially once the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Until they get their elevator, I would never elect to stay above the first floor because of the steep, narrow, and all-around obnoxious staircase.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Yes the location was excellent, and yes the price was cheap as anything, but I can honestly say that my first experience with a hostel has now put me off ever staying in one again. I stayed here for one night as part of a university trip to Brussels along with other students. Upon arriving at the hostel (at 23.00) the hostel was shrouded in darkness with no reception desk and some questionable characters lurking around the vicinity. It was when we ventured up many flights of stairs to our rooms that we were given an eye-opening impression of the hostel. It was undergoing renovation work so there were tools, dust and dirt, and bare wires trailing around everywhere making the trip upstairs with heavy luggage more of an obstacle course than anything.

Our room was on the top floor which, I admit, was not too bad. The room clean, however, it was tiny (with an even tinier bathroom) and had no wardrobes or drawers, containing lockers instead. Another major drawback was that our room and bathroom was directly overlooked by the rooms next door,and as our blinds were faulty, getting changed without the fear of being watched was a complete nightmare! This coupled with constant noise from other guests through the night really tipped us over the edge and so the next day a friend and I checked into a hotel instead.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Agreed with previous posts, the location of this place is second to none! Right next to Grand Place and excellent value for money if only on location.

First issue is check in is not at the actual premises, suggest you ask staff at Midi (if you arrive via Eurostar) for directions to the checkin.

Second, the renovations are far from finished. I strongly believe that the place will be amazing when finished, but at present, the security and communal space aren't great. The room was clean, the bathroom amazing, however there were workmen around, lots of unfinished electrical and unpainted work.

Thirdly, people above 6 foot avoid the top floor!! There are lots of beams and it is not a tall friendly space!!!!

Finally, make sure you bring cash to pay when arrive. After a long trip, it can be a painful last thing to find an ATM if you don't have any Euro's!

Room Tip: Location location location.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Firstly I must say the location of this place is second to none! Right next to the beautiful Grand Place and excellent value for money if location was all I was rating. However, when I read newly renovated I expected the renovation to have been completed. this is not the case with bare concrete stairs, unfinished/ open walls and exposed wires.

Contrary to other reviews we found the reception staff useful and polite (although not being able to pay individually by credit card is most awkward)- dont forget check in is at a different hostel though!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2012

If you want a bed in a good central area next to all the action book here. If like us you expect things like clean bathrooms, working sockets, finished paint jobs and fitted carpets then look elsewhere. Simply dreadful finishing in the building, poor signage, awful staff and worst yet check in is around 1km away with restricted opening hours, i love Brussels but this trip was soured by this ramshackle of a hostel. No wifi, no breakfast and just one computer for internet access, i would not stay here again, it's a shame the Sleepwell hostel is closed for repairs because i always stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, they are apparently ''deluxe''.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends