“Tasty and traditional but service a little slow”
Review of Le Chat Noir - CLOSED

Le Chat Noir
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Thrapston, United Kingdom
“Tasty and traditional but service a little slow”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We decided to look around the Bourse area as we'd heard the food here was much better and good value in comparison to restaurants just off the Grand Place. Fin de Siècle had an hour long queue so we went into Chat Noir and were certainly not disappointed. I had lapin de mer which was an entire rabbit (some of the innards too!) in a creamy, mushroom sauce with some if the crispest chips I've had for a long time. My husband had the spinach stoemp and declared it excellent. Drinks were reasonably priced too. My only slight niggle was the very slow service as it appeared to be one chap doing the ordering, drinks, cooking, clearing and payments for the whole restaurant. I would visit here again if in Brussels.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sophiemiriam

Brussels, Belgium
“Best Mussels in Brussels !!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We've been eating here for a couple of years now and this place has never failed to impress. This was our first visit since joining TripAdvisor. The resto is a Brussels "institution" - it's been open for years and is pretty much 24/7 !

The resto is famous for its Mussels and chips (moules et frites) and that's what we normally order. You get a big dish of steaming hot fresh mussels in the sauce of your choice accompanied by a dish of thickly-cut chips. You can order a reasonably priced carafe of house wine to accompany it (Quarter/half/litre depending on the size and thirst of your party !). The mussels are always delicious and juicy and the service is good, although not impeccable.

We did try a pasta dish once as a change and it was good enough but I think the mussels are really the dish of the house. The bill will be just under 70 euros for two persons if you go for two dishes of mussels, a half litre of house wine and coffee or water.

FYI - the location is just off the famous Place St. Gery about 5 minutes from De Brouckere metro satiation (centre of town). It is probably the only Belgian restaurant on a street full of Thai restaurants!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank la_viajera_constanta
“Nearly very good”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We had wandered around the bourse area for a while and nothing had attracted us in. Le Chat Noir was quiet but looked OK so we went in. The people were really friendly and served us very efficiently. The starters were very good - lovely prawns in garlic butter, and creamy tomato sauce. We had chateaubriand as a main which was beautifully cooked and a lovely flavour but slightly tough. With a nice bottle of St Emilion at a reasonable price it was above average but not quite very good.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sagsma
York, United Kingdom
“Very quiet, excellent food.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

It was our first night and it was the first restaurant that wasnt thai. So we went in. We had a lovely soup followed by pasta dishes. Fast and exceptional food although he forgot our fries we had a nice filling meal,I would be happy to have again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank jimslater
Zurich, Switzerland
“A bit above average food, but service...”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wen't here with 2 local friends because this place has some good Belgian food. I had the stoemp (which the waiter said today it was with spinach, but it turned out to be chicoree) which was very salty, but otherwise was average. The bacon was of poor quality (lots of fatty parts) and also has not been handled with care (lots of gristle parts). Also, my dish had arrived 12minutes after my 2 friends received their meal. (something that is horrible in a restaurant I think)
Overall we paid 52EUR for 3 persons with 1 drink each, which is a very reasonable price for the center, I believe (but then again, I am not local.)

• Visited July 2013