“To be avoided”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2013

First and last time I have been to this Restaurant. Extremely unfriendly and partially rude staff. We had a reservation and arrived ahead of time. While waiting for our table, which was actually free but which we were not allowed to occupy for unknown reasons, we were treated with such lack of respect and rudeness that we left the place. I have been to many Restaurants around the world but this is the worst treatment I remember and the first time that I leave a Restaurant before ordering. Definitively a place to be avoided.

4  Thank migex

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is not the first time I have been to Les Etangs. Each time the service was very, very poor. This occasion, however, it will be the last: I am pretty sure that clients in restaurants in North Korea are treated with more respect and consideration.

We reserved for a large group on a Sunday at 14:30, specifying that it was to eat. Apparently this was really a problem as the kitchen closes ... at 14:30. Worse, we arrived early. We were told to sit outside even though our table was waiting. Not wishing to cause a fuss, we ordered drinks. However, the Maitre D told his waiters not to serve members of our party who arrived a bit later, saying that they had to have drinks at the table. This was already a serious problem.

Far, far worse was when we tried to gain some time (and help out the restaurant) by asking if we could give the order. Since we had a large number of children in the party, we thought that we could give ask the kitchen to prepare for them. The Maitre D then marched up to our table and told us, in the manner of a teacher scolding unruly children, that there was a DIFFERENT MENU after 14:30 and that we could not eat what we were looking at. His explanation was rude, as if he was addressing people severely below his intellectual and social class. He then proceeded, literally, to snatch away the menus from our hand.

At this point we got up and left. Belgium, as a whole, is not renowned for service in restaurants, but the behaviour of this Maitre D really marked a new low.

On the plus side, the view from the terrace of this restaurant is really nice. The beers were cold (although they had a suspiciously large head) and the salty snacks were tasty (although since we were 12 adults, you would think they could provide more than one single thimble of them). The food on the menu looked pretty ordinary, we didn't bother hanging around to find out.

I was under the mistaken impression that the staff at a restaurant should try to serve a customer and make them feel welcome. In this case, we were made to feel that we were immensely inconveniencing his lordship the Maitre D by wishing to consume some food at his place.

In summary: if you enjoy being insulted, patronised and humiliated, this is the place for you. If you have a modicum of self esteem look elsewhere.

9  Thank EuroBlue
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I met up with a friend to have lunch at the restaurant. We did not have reservations and the place was busy, but the maitre d' was pleasant and had us wait in the garden until he could get us a place. We had a fairly short wait and were seated. The waiter was pleasant and the food was very good. Price is average for Brussels and the selection was good.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had to pay a bill of € 8. I paid 50 € and the waiter gave me back two euros, putting in the RIGHT pocket the money that I gave him and went away. Immediately after I asked my 40 euro back but the waiter turned and told me that I had paid 10 euro, pulling out of his LEFT pocket 10 euro. On the instant I did not realize the theft and the waiter responded assuring me that I had paid 10 Euros.
Unfortunately I was not able to prove on the instant the game of the pockets, so he pocketed € 40.

6  Thank mistercas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

As we go to this place for more than 8 years, let me just summarize pros and cons below:
- Food is OK for Brussels, which means great for rest of Europe
- Menu is also OK for Brussels, which means limited for emerging markets
- But daily menu is not bad at all
- Price level is rather high, but again on par with similar places in Brussels
- What is unique: its open every day and for both lunch & dinner, its child friendly and offers great space outside & even small inside kids room, service is super fast fast for Brussels (means like in German brewery or in Moscow resto)
- For weekends and great weather a reservation 1-2 days in advance is a must, as you don't want to end up inside due to green house effect

2  Thank Tikhon-Chicago