“My new favourite Brussels restaurant”
Review of Nuetnigenough

Ranked #54 of 3,847 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I found this tiny restaurant by accident late one evening and was immediately attacted by the look of this very Belgian bistro.
Housed in a narrow nineteenth century building, with high-ceilings, ornate chandeliers and Art Nouveau Horta door, window and fireplace, there are only 8 tables packed closely together; no room for any more!
They pride themselves on an enormous range of less well-known beers from micro-breweries mostly within the capital, but for me the star was the food. This is not "fine dining" but Belgian comfort food at its very best. My Wexford Steak (I have no idea whether the meat was Irish or of a particular cut) in port sauce was quite thebest steak I have eaten in many years, cooked perfectly and served with a choice of chips (with home made mayonnaise), stoemp, rice or vegetables.
The proprietress (I am assuming here) was charming, friendly, chatty and quite happy to serve me at 10.30 on a rainy night.
It was so good that I went back the next evening at a more reasonable hour, and was happy to wait with a beer for a table to become free .... it is deservedly popular, brimming with character and altogether a good experience (as long as you are happy with a cheap and cheerful bistro).
I used to live in Brussels; I wish I had discovered this restaurant at that time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Traditional Belgian food - limited choice, huge quantities ! Good quality. Excellent value for money. Friendly service.
Service lamentably slow and we were seated next to the door on a cold and rainy November evening ! Extremely popular restaurant not far from Grande Place. Get there early as pretty small - we were lucky. No reservations.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stopped on a weekend afternoon in this place to have some beers and some late lunch.

Good news, there is a nice selection of unknown beers to choose from, at least to us.

Bad news, service can be described as unnecessarily slow, and not very welcoming, while the food is tasteless.

I understand that service in Belgium is known for not being the fastest or the best. And sometimes I understand that the restaurant is busy and the restaurant being understaffed, can't cope with the influx of customers.

However, Nuetnigenough is a fairly small restaurant. I'm just going to leave it at the fact that it took about 20 minutes for us to finally order our food and there were only 3 other tables eating when we arrived.

And yea, we did call our waitress, but she decided that it was best to clean the empty tables than to come get our order, even though there were no new customers arriving, and yea, there were other clean tables already cleaned so is not like new customers would arrive and the tables weren't clean.

But the best part was our waitress who told us that we couldn't have an extra side of rice as it was too much food. What?

Let me explain: each main dish comes with one side dish that can either be mashed potatoes/vegetables (stoemp), fries, rice, and another side dish that can't quite remember.

Our friend decided that in addition to the stoemp, he wanted rice because he was hungry and well, he loves rice with every meal he eats.

The waitress immediately said, "but you can only have one side." To which we replied, "yes, we want an extra side. We will pay for it."

Then the waitress asked what was the main dish and as my friend had chosen the Beef stew in Rochefort sauce with the side of stoemp. The watiress said, "but the stoemp is already enough for that plate. A side of rice will be too much!"

What in the world? I thought restaurants were in the business of selling food....

We decided, best just to stick to the menu as maybe the computer used to enter order breaks down whenever an extra side dish is ordered.

The plates arrived in a decent time, but all of our choices were bland. I'm no cook, but even I can make a tastier stoemp.

I wouldn't recommend this place not only because of its unwelcoming service, but also because you will be disappointed with your meal. Well, that's if you have had Belgian dishes before.

And i'm giving it two stars as at least we had the chance to try some new beers. Otherwise, would have gone for a 1.

1  Thank perseus7401
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Homemade food, belgian beer, friedly staff, whatelse do we need?! Excelente price! Fantastic place. Always croud but dont give up lol. Worth the wait. Amazing food.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great range of Belgian beers, including some rarities. The owner was more than happy to advise on choices, and really knew his beer. The food on offer doesn't let the side down. The veal meatballs in witbier sauce were apparently made from a "rediscovered" traditional Belgian recipe and were the best meatballs I've ever tasted.