“Combo hipster ramen & asian style tapas”
Review of Kumiko Izakaya

Kumiko Izakaya
Order Online
Ranked #3,135 of 4,320 Restaurants in Brussels
Description: Kumiko aims to provide you an open space in the heart of Brussels, where we concentrate the best assets of the east and let them meet with those of the west. The goal is to offer you a place adapted to your needs by providing healthy fast-good food, high quality coffee, cocktail bar&beers.
Reviewed December 6, 2018

This a the place to go if you are looking for a nice and not too pretentious asian-like dinner while enjoying some drinks. If you don't agree with the concept, then maybe just don't go.
Five minutes from St. Catherine, decorated in style dark and minimalist, aspiring underground. The menu proposes a simple selection of ramen soups and other Asian classics, very easy going for who's not a japanese food expert and doesn't mind. My friend is actually a ramen fan and stated that the miso soup was one of the best in Brussels. Most of the people around us were having coktails or wine.
You are expected to pay right after ordening and pick up your food when the token rings, which is in my view an efficient system and also allows you to leave the table whenever you want without having to wait for the bill.
They deserve four stars.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

This place was excellent! Very heavy hipster vibe, but fortunately the prices did not match the aesthetic. The place feels very hip and upscale, but the prices were very reasonable for the quanitity and quality. We had the donburi, ramen, and takoyaki and thought it was all delicious. Would certainly revisit if given the opportunity.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

First of all, the food there is not authentic. I would say that it is a japanese cuisine adapted for the western palates. However, it is fresh and quite good. Also, the cocktail I chose, a yuzu mule, was excellent! It had a nice flavour and it was perfectly balanced.

I also loved the architecture and decorations. It is a hipster place but it didn't bother me. I like this kind of aesthetics. Some may think it is too dark, but I thought it gave the place a certain "cozinness".

However, there is a bad point I would like to highlight there. And this is about the service. I have never left any negative comment for a restaurant/hotel and I am not a difficult customer. My friends recommended me this restaurant! But as soon as my mother and I entered the place, we had the feeling that we were not welcomed there. It was around 7pm and the restaurant was nearly empty of customers. However, there were at least 4 staff members at the bar and none of them even bothered to say "hello", nor did they smile. And they saw us entering! A simple "hello" is always appreciated...
Also, when the waiter/barman came to clear away, he just mumbled something like " 'tis good? k nice". Like he didn't care. Well, at least he asked... Oh, and when we left, he didn't say "good bye" either.
I understand that this is a self-service restaurant. But more than having good food, I think that having a good behaviour at work is what makes people coming back. Even fast-food chains understand that.

It is a pity that such a beautiful place with a nice approach to japanese food is decaying because of these behaviours. My mother and I have been to numerous places and we have never been that much unwelcomed. I sincerely hope this will change soon.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank RinnieLin
Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

Asian fusion with a twist. The food is absolutely delicious and the atmosphere relaxed and cozy. Staff is awesome and the pitcher cocktails never disappoint. A must in Brussels

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

The place is always crowded and it's far from being organised, which ends up in long waits. Although there are a lot of staff, I wonder what they are doing because patrons have to order at the bar and pick up their food when the buzzer starts buzzing. I had a big amount of food to bring to the table and had no help from the staff.
We tried a bit of everything and the best was the miso soup (great broth!) and the ramen. The rest was decent but nothing to write home about.
The prices are not too bad, but one has to bear in mind that there's practically no service.
Probably won't go back.