“What a surprise - read on!”
Review of Museum Brasserie

Museum Brasserie
Ranked #2,821 of 3,715 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I have to say I am amazed at the reviews about the Museum Brasserie. It almost seems as if we ate in a different restaurant.

Yesterday my husband and I were getting desperate for a break as we had been site seeing all morning around Brussels. We were tired, hungry and it was getting past lunch time. When we rounded the corner of a very impressive street, the Place Royale, we saw the Museum and its Brasserie. It was attractive and modern inside with very comfortable chairs. It was nice to look out of the window and see people bustling about but that is just superficial if the food and service are not good.

Now here is where we differ with other reviewers. We went in August so whether we went on a good day, whether the restaurant is under new management or even if they have a new chef I do not know but - we had excellent service from a very nice young man who offered to take our coats as soon as we walked in, even the other waitress serving made sure we had all we wanted. The food was extremely good and served in a way that was very appealing. Also the waiter went out of his way to explain the menu to us, mind you they were not busy as it was about 2pm. We did notice that after 2.30pm he did turn people away but apologetically. If they had stayed open a bit longer they could have served at least another ten people! A excellent meal at the cost of 65 euro for: two beers, sparkling water, two main courses, a simply wonderful pudding and a coffee.

So what a shame. All I can say is do try it again. If you have bad service or the food is not good enough then someone needs to be told. I cannot believe with all the bad reviews any one would ever go in there. If you do try it I hope that you have the food and service we had.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I had organized a group of 12 friends, and I got a quote for 25 Euros for a fixed menu for everyone (chicken and a chocolate cake). I replied that for 25 Euros, and with such a scant menu, drinks should at least be included. I got the promise for an accompanying glas of wine.
The chicken and cake were as described, but we all got about 2.5 cms (an inch) of wine in the bottom of our glass.... then we asked for tap water (we insisted : TAP water, nothing else. We got the water in unmarked open bottlel of 1/2 liter each. And guess what : we were charged 5 euros for every 1/2 liter bottle of tap water, which I did not pay. They will never see us again... I hate being ripped.

1  Thank Yves_dementen
Reviewed September 19, 2013

An elegant place - its elegance somewhat diminished by staff children playing around the toilets.

The dish we ordered came without one of the main ingredients advertised. Staff couldn't care less. No plain water available - perhaps they don't have a tap.

You can eat as well for a lot less - its only slight advantage is convenience for the museum.

2  Thank Roger D
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went there today for lunch before visiting an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Arts. Nice building and nice decoration. Service is "rough". Instead of taking our coats, we were shown where to hang them ourselves.
The menu seemed OK but the food was not up to scratch. Some of our dishes were good, some not good at all. I had some mashed potatoes with so much salt it was inedible.
The wine was very good, as was the coffee.
But at a cost of E60 per person for lunch, there are many better places than this one.

4  Thank Sarita K
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Worst restaurant experience ever - we have not even got to taste anything! The so-called manager is shameless and very very rude. It was supposed to be a treat for our visitors from Italy and turned out to be the most embarrassing experience - after 1.5 of waiting and drinking warm champagne (which costs 200 euro as it turned) we still have not seen any food and when we asked for some bread, the manager brought two small pieces throwing them on the table and saying "this is all we have". We visited the place quite often in the past - but we will not be returning until the management changes!

6  Thank AnnaS100