“Sweetest Receptionist and A Bistro with Church Nearby” 5 of 5 stars

The Residence Les Ecrins
Rue du Rouleau 15, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #7 of 218 Brussels B&B and Inns
NJ
“Sweetest Receptionist and A Bistro with Church Nearby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was here back in 2011, and still remember the wonderful man at reception named Steven. He always greeted me in the morning and knew I liked my coffee (he would bring it to me without asking since he knew the answer was always "yes"). I don't know if he still is there, but even if he isn't, I am sure that all the staff they hire here are just as nice and helpful. I stayed here for three nights, but I wish I stayed longer. The room I had was small, but the price was very affordable, especially for the lovely area I was in. There is a bistro (red exterior) overlooking a church a few blocks away, and this is where I continued my coffee fix.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Loved this hotel. Edward was very kind, helpful and can offer good travel tips. Had an issue with one room on our first night and he immediately moved us. Room 124 in main building (double) was stylish and spacious. Room 120 in next door building was perfect for a family of 4. Large bedroom with a double and a sitting room with a double pull out couch. Rooms were clean and bright. No air conditioning, but fans are provided, was all you needed. Free Wifi. Breakfast was included. Perfect for us, consisting of buns, croissants, bread, jams, fruit, orange juice, delicious coffee and hot chocolate. Area was great. Nearby are plenty of restaurants and cafés for dinner and drinks. Was a short walk to the Grand Place. Metro stop down the street. Price was affordable. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

From the first contact I had with Guy on email, our experience with Les Ecrins was delightful. I spent a great deal of time looking for the "perfect" place to stay in Brussels (i.e. reasonably priced, in a good neighbourhood within walking distance of the city sights, appealing and attractive) and Les Ecrins checked all the boxes.

The name means "jewel box" and this place, for us, was a little gem. It's not fancy or elegant, the bathroom is a tiny bit on the worn side but those are small details for us. Best to mention the wonderfully amicable hosts, Edward and Guy (we met Edward during our stay) and how helpful, friendly and warm he was during our stay. It felt like coming home to a friend every time we returned to our hotel.

The location is also perfect. Tucked away on a quiet street within a stone's throw of St. Catherine's Church and Metro (that connects you to the airport), lots of good restaurants on neighbouring streets and a 10 minute walk to the Grand Place.

The breakfasts were lovely, the room spacious and comfortable and all was exactly what we were looking for in a hotel in this fabulous city.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Grichard
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have to say I was surprised at how crowded and dirty the main tourist strip in Brussels was. We got off the train and walked to this hotel and I wasn't feeling great about my choice. Then we got to the lovely St Catherine's square and found the hotel and everything was immediately good again. The service was quick and pleasant and helpful. The room was huge even by US standards. It is close to restaurants and an easy walk to all the main tourist sites of Brussels. Would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank FamilyJourneys
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Located in older building on a very quite side street, this is a small hotel/B&B with NO elevator tight steps and lovely rooms. I booked a room with a private bathroom (ensuite) and was very happy. The room was nice and the bathroom modern, Edward the owner is extremely accommodating and does his best to make your stay memorable. European continental breakfast is served and it is more than adequate (however, the coffee served leaves a lot to be desired), there is a small outdoor eating area that you can sit and enjoy your morning meal. The location is simply superb and you are within walking distance of almost all the sights. Free Wifi is offered, I would gladly stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I loved this place-- though I was initially surprised because I booked through Hostel World and expected a hostel, this was so much nicer than a hostel. The two men that were running Residence les Ecrins were so friendly and helpful, and really talkative which is always a plus when you're a solo traveler. The neighborhood was really nice and a short walk (5-10 minutes) away from the Grand Place, the central plaza of the city. They had all kinds of maps and information, and the breakfast in the mornings was very nice as well. No complaints, and I would definitely stay here again if I came back to Brussels!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank CRiley231011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We loved Residence Les Ecrins and would highly recommend it to everyone.
Our stay was 4 nights, April 2014.
The location is excellent, easy to get to/from via transport system and fantastic for walking to anywhere in the city, approx 10 minutes front the Grand Place + 2 metro stations within 5 & 10 minutes walk.
We had a spot of difficulty to find it at first but nothing major. It may help if the instructions told you the lines to catch on metro (it's a little confusing between metro and trams as the maps aren't very clear) and that there is a Citadines hotel on the corner but we found it without too much bother.
The hosts (we had Edward mostly then Guy on our last day) were friendly and helpful and were very nice to us even when we returned late at night and found we'd left the door card/key in our room (sorry Edward). Edward was also very helpful in finding an emergency dentist for which my partner was extremely grateful!
The room was wonderful and spotlessly clean. We had everything we could need - no tea/coffee facility but we only had to ask and were given what we needed.
Breakfast was included so that was excellent; pastries, bread, jam, cheese etc and plenty to keep you going until lunch plus the breakfast room was also lovely, fresh and clean.
We will definitely stay again if we return to Brussels and will be recommending others to stay here - a lovely residence, beautifully clean, great service, great location and very reasonably priced. Thanks again for a lovely stay. Carol & Paul.

Room Tip: Ours was on the 1st floor & that was a bonus as there is no lift so if you have older travellers...