“Rudest service - Worst place I've stayed, you get what you pay for” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Residence Les Ecrins

The Residence Les Ecrins
Ranked #59 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
Bonn, Germany
“Rudest service - Worst place I've stayed, you get what you pay for”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I got back to my room before 1 am one night and my key card wasn't working. I had to ring them from the intercom outside the front door on the street as cars were passing by and was yelled at and called dumb for not being able to hear or understand him telling me that I had to go to a door behind the stairs for a backup key card that was taped onto the wall! And he hung up on me the first time after telling me this I had to ring back which is when I was told that I obviously wasn't the brightest kid in the house growing up! Most unprofessional and rudest host I've met in all my travels. And what professional guesthouse has a key card taped onto a wall that anyone in the place can access??

The room was also awful, very dark, old carpet, uncomfortable bed, shower was either too hot or not warm enough. And they gave me the front room by the front door where you could hear everyone going in and out.

Breakfast also not the best. You get a tiny cup of OJ, a cup of coffee and a plate of mixed breads and some spreads and some fruit.

Walking back late at night to this place also didn't feel the safest.

Worst place I've ever stayed. Highly unrecommendable.

Room Tip: Avoid room 120 and this place altogether.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lattestone77
ecrins, Propriétaire at The Residence Les Ecrins, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear customer

You stayed 2 nights with us without any complains. All our rooms have been remodeled and have new beds, double glazing and much more. I am sure that most of your comments are related to your dissatisfaction ( how to use a keycard ) then to the real state of the room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel is an easy walk from the north train station where we came in and in a nice, quiet neighborhood but just minutes from restaurants and bars. Check in was easy, and we walked upstairs to a very spacious room with a beautiful view of the street and the church to the side, even some flowers just outside the window. The room was comfortable, plenty large, and with the bathroom bigger than the one I have at home. We walked to Grand Place and the center of Brussels that was just a short walk away. Breakfast was nothing spectacular, but it was tasty food, and enough to get us going. After looking extensively, I am convinced this hotel is the best value in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ft. Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We saw all the good reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor and decided to rely on them for our first trip to Brussels. And I am so glad we did. This is a wonderful place to stay for the tourist with a budget. The room was clean and very comfortable. The en-suite bathroom was immaculate and modern. Breakfast was plentiful, with coffee, juice, lots of fresh bread and pastries, and fresh fruit. The small dining room was charming and a little outdoor terrace was attached. The location is extremely convenient and while we were skeptical of the claims that one could walk to the main tourist attractions in 10-15 minutes it turned out to be true. And the metro system is quite close by; the owner helped us figure it out. He was very helpful and accomodating. All in all, I am not sure you could do better for the very reasonable price.

Room Tip: No elevator so be prepared to climb narrow stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PeggyC46
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were very happy with our stay. Nice clean room with en-suite bathroom. Friendly staff!
The breakfast was nice with pastries and different spreads.
We could hear some guest but we didn't see many other guests,
The location is really good, close to excellent restaurants but not to close to the busiest streets.
There are lots of guide books in the breakfast room if you need some inspiration.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ayr, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place was fantastic. The man that runs the place (cannot remember his name sorry), was one of the most helpful people we came across out of any hotel we stayed at across Europe. We stayed in a room with a shared bathroom, but we never had to wait for anyone. The room was nice and clean, and the included breakfast was basic, but very nice everything we needed. Also, if you are staying around christmas time, the markets are literally 50 meters away from the hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 22_Kristine
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

A decent place to stay, good value, nothing bad but nothing impressive. I was more impressed with my hotel in Amsterdam the day prior. Breakfast included but it is quite minimal, the French continental style of mainly coffee and bread. The breakfast area is quite small; the manager serves you your bfast plate. There is a bowl of fruit in the room if you look around.I found it a bit noisy but I sleep well anyway. Internet wireless terrible. Happy with the bill. You can walk to the prime center area, which I did (it's a good walk); also two metro stations nearby, and it is only 1 or 2 stops to get to the center area (gare central)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nomad_timo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

nThis is a lovely place to stay in a historic neighborhood. I had a quiet single room (double bed) en suite on the second floor in an adjacent building overlooking a garden. You are given a room key and an entrance key for the outside door to the building. The room layout was a little quirky since you walk through the bathroom to get into the room. However, that was no problem. The bathroom is updated with nice shower and very clean. The room was easy to reserve over the internet and Guy and Edward were very helpful. Greeted me with an excellent map and made a great recommendation for a seafood restaurant nearby for dinner. As others have noted, the breakfast room is very pleasant and breakfast was nice with coffee, juice, bread, pastries, and fruit. Free WiFi worked well. I had not been in Brussels before so did have some difficulty finding the hotel from the metro. However, once I found my way around, it's very easy and only a block from the metro. Close enough to the Grand Place by metro or walking but nice to be away from the tourist area. I felt comfortable there as a middle-aged single woman and would highly recommend this pleasant and affordable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo