“Spacious and friendly”

and 1 more site!
The Residence Les Ecrins
Ranked #68 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We've spent four nights here at Les Ecrins. We like the location and the staff have been friendly and helpful. We were given a large room on the first floor which has been v comfortable. Downside is that it faces the cobblestone street. At night, with the windows open) the sound of passing vehicles is incredibly loud and has made for disrupted sleep. Also note no kettle or refrigerator in room. Loved the coffee at breakfast (pastries, bread, rolls, jams, cream cheese).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I found this place for a last minute vacation that I took to Belgium. I stayed for 2 nights and it was €85 a night. It is a cross between a hostel and a hotel. I was in room #120 which was a big room with an attached private bathroom. There was no A/C which was not an issue when I was there. There is very fast free internet. I had to pay for it at the other two hotels I stayed at in Belgium and the free internet here was drastically faster.

This place is great for single travelers or couples that just want a place to sleep at night and to see the sights. The breakfast that comes with the room was just one glass of juice, some coffee and some bread and spreads for the bread. Enough to get you going in the morning.

Is in a great location and if you need it is only a minute or so walk from the metro.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at Les Ecrins on two different (not consecutive) nights in August 2012. The first night I was in town with friends to see the Flower Carpet. My husband and I had room 123, which included a little sitting area. Our friends were a flight up in 125 and a room on the front. These rooms were smaller than 123, but the same price. On our return trip, we were put in room 125.

The positives: It was a nice walk from the hotel to the Palais Royal. We passed many restaurants, and ended up eating at one recommended by the owner on the first night. The Saint Catherine metro station is only about a half of block away. The breakfast was very nice, and the owner was easy to deal with. The hotel also accepted credit cards, which many other B&B's do not. The rooms were clean, and the bedding comfortable. The hotel was a great value at 90 Euro per night.

The negatives: We were there in August, when it can get very warm. I knew the hotel was not air conditioned, but I was very surprised the rooms did not have portable fans. It got so hot, we were forced to leave the windows opened all night. This meant having to listen to a neighbor's party until after mid-night. (Thank goodness another neighbor finally yelled at the party and got them to be quiet). Our friends in the room on the front were especially uncomfortable. With the windows opened, the street lights sign shone into their room. The noise from passing cars and then from a street sweeper kept them awake many hours. The wife said she only got about 3 hours of sleep, even though she put in ear plugs and wore a sleep mask. All the other B&B's we stayed at during our 3 week trip to Europe had rotating, portable fans and we were able to be comfortable even in the warm weather. Other negatives: Room 123 only had a bath, no shower. Room 125 had a partial shower door, and it was hard to keep the water in while showering. Like most other B&B's, there is no lift, so be prepared to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerrinhp
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a small, no frills hotel in Brussels, but reasonably priced and its location is truly superb. The rooms are simple with modern, funky, functional furniture. Try their apartments (with no breakfast) - they are roomy, fully furnished, ideal for longer stays. The owner is very friendly, funny and helpful - makes your stay truly pleasurable.

Room Tip: Make sure you close doors - the staircase can be noisy. The street is very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank juditalma
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We arrived very early because of our flight, but Eduard showed us to a room right away, even nicer than the one we had booked. He also gave us breakfast, which we were very grateful for and he was not obliged to do. The room (actually a "living" room with a fold-out sofa and a bedroom) was very comfortable, spacious and clean. The hotel is well located.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I paid 110 euros on August 7 for a triple room which looks nothing like what I saw on the webpage. I took photos for the falling ceiling, broken tiles,broken handle, broken flush, and tap . You will understand why we were locked in the bathroom and could not open the door. The only garbage bin was in the bathroom, and I used a plastic bag for waste in the bedroom. There were 2 glasses at the bathroom sink for our triple room, but not even another glass in the room. With a basic room like such, I would pay nothing more than 50 euros. Sainte-Katherine is an area super convenient but not as noisy as Grand Place. With so much I have paid this time, I can easily get another hotel in this area for my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Shirley Y
ecrins, Propriétaire at The Residence Les Ecrins, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

We are sorry for this incident. The room as already been fully renovated

Reviewed August 2, 2012

There are a number of positive points about this hostel; the only negative point was that there was no lift (which didn't matter to my partner and I! Just as a warning)
However, I really do have nothing but positive things to say about this hostel.
1. It is brilliant value for money (we paid 30 EUR pp in July)
2. The location is top notch: just off Place St Catherine, so about 5 minutes from Grand Place and all the sights, plus you're round the corner from Place du Beguinage with a beautiful church. There are some really nice seafood restaurants at St Catherines as well, so you're spoilt for choice with food!
3. The rooms are very clean, and are cleaned regularly. We stayed in one of the simple rooms, so just had a bed, sink, television, and bin. There are plug sockets which you can use for adaptors if necessary. Although I agree with ksd8y that the rooms are a bit on the small side, it was not something which put my partner and I off our room.
4. The owners were really helpful, polite, and easy to talk to. I spoke French to the female owner, but the man spoke English to us (though I have a feeling he might speak Dutch from his accent....) But they were both really nice.

I heartily recommend staying at this hostel, and would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple