“Not what I expect for €155 per night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Marivaux Hotel
Ranked #47 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Not what I expect for €155 per night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here last night; I arrived late - so can't comment on location etc. What I can comment on is the room (3121) - average, cold and noisy (but clean, from what I can see).

When I say cold - it's only September and it was freezing in here when I arrived - so much so I thought the window was open. So I cranked up the air con to 25 degrees, and went to get a quick meal in the bar, expecting to come back to a toasty room. No change upon my return, so I cranked it up to 28 degrees and called reception. I explained the room was very cold and asked for a heater - moments later, a girl arrived with a blanket (?) and I explained the problem again. She told me that even though there are individual air con units in each room, they are controlled centrally. This makes no sense and I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel like it. Eventually they did give me a heater, which resolved the problem, but very poor for €155 per night.

Also, no full length mirror in the room - come on, this is a basic. On a positive note, the breakfast was good.

One other thing - this hotel has a very quirky layout - lots of different floors, some numbered, some named.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sologirltraveller80
MarivauxSalesManager, Manager at Marivaux Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Sologirltraveller80,
I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience during your stay in the Marivaux. We did not expect such a chilly week in September, and should have taken precautions. Indeed our AC system is controlled centrally but I am glad that the situation was solved and you could have a pleasant temperature for the night. Thank you for mentioning the cleanness of your room and the fact that you enjoyed our breakfast. That is highly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Sales manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just on room size alone (and we came from Paris, so you know what I mean!) this hotel scores. While it isn't one of those places you remember for being utterly amazing or mind-boggling, it is very comfortable, with a huge bedroom, decent bathroom, comfortable bed, pleasant staff who speak English and do their bit to help when they can. All in all, it was a totally pain-free experience staying here, and one that was more than pleasant. That in itself makes you understand why it is rated so well on Trip Advisor.
The hotel itself has an interesting back-story - an old theatre converted into a hotel, it has rooms/halls named after cinema luminaries like Polanski, Fellini, Hitchcock etc. Interesting.
The room has a Nespresso machine! Oh, delight! Unlike in many European hotel, the idea of waking up and making yourself a cup of tea/coffee is wonderful. The bed is large and comfy, there is a hair dryer, iron, robe etc, plenty of space to sit and even do yoga if you want to! TV as well, for those who don't want to be parted from their flatscreen experiences.
The breakfast was fine, not too much more than that. You won't go hungry - for those who crave a cooked breakfast, there is pancakes, potatoes, sausages and eggs, besides the usual croissants and confiture. Again, not mind-blowing, but perhaps I'm being picky. I've had some amazing jams and breads/cheese during my stay in Europe, so I know quantity isn't always quality. But this works.
Where Marivaux scores big is on location - a short walk to several of the train stations, no need for a taxi even, unless you're going to the airport. If you're going to Charleroi, take the bus from Brussels Midi, it is quite a saving and goes at regular intervals.
The hotel is another short walk to the Grand Place and Brussels' 'food' street - the touristy one - Rue de Bouchers, where you will also find the iconic Delirium Cafe with its 2000 beers, so it's wonderfully placed. At the end of a day of seeing the sights, it's good to get back to a comfortable hotel and smiling staff. Works for me, so yes, I would be back.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on a higher floor. Brighter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruma02
MarivauxSalesManager, Manager at Marivaux Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Ruma,
Thank you for your detailed review. I am sure it will be helpful for other Tripadvisor travelers. I was delighted to read that the Nespresso machine and our breakfast gave you a good start to your days. Thank you again for choosing the Marivaux, I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again.
Megan Manin,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My daughter and I had a comfortable, clean, twin room. The breakfast had a good variety of food, and the staff were professional and helpful. The hotel was within an easy walk of the main attractions in the centre of the city. The story behind the hotel, especially during the war was also very interesting.

The hotel was well worth the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lynette,
I would like to thank you for the great things you wrote about the Marivaux and the staff. I am glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay and that the back-story of the hotel caught your interest. I am looking forward to seeing you again!
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel management is very professionalism and respect where I booked the hotel after a non-refundable system and I have to cancel the booking so when I contact the management they accept to return my money from the payment of fees and this does not happen rarely with other hotels

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mo3eeeen
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. I am glad we could arrange your situation. I hope to welcome you next time!
Best wishes,
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had 3 double rooms for 3 nights. As requested when we made our booking online, our rooms were next to each other, a nice arrangement when you are traveling with young children. The rooms were large and clean. It was a nice change coming from a London hotel that cost 3 times and the room size less than half of the room here. Breakfast was included and was adequate. After the first day we decided to have our breakfast at Paul Cafe located near the hotel.
The hotel is located less than 5 minutes walk to many of the tourist attractions and restaurants. The perfect location of this hotel was what made our visit to Brussels so enjoyable. Everything is within walking distant and in a safe environment. The only public transportation we took were the taxi to and from the Eurostar Train Station.
Foods in Brussels are great and reasonably priced.
We enjoyed our stay in Brussels very much, From Brussels we return to London for a night before departing home with fond memories.

Room Tip: Our rooms were located at level 2, using Lift 3. As this hotel was a former cinema access to rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarivauxSalesManager, Manager at Marivaux Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Yoong,
I am pleased to read that your vacation turned out to be just the way you planned. I hope you had a lovely time in Brussels and it is great that the Marivaux’ rooms and location met your expectations. I wish you all the best and hope that we can welcome you and your family again soon!
Kind regards,
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Marivaux Hotel for 4 nights and it was almost perfect.

The lobby is very clean and impressive, and the rooms are a good size, immaculately clean, with plenty of storage space, a medium sized safe, free tea and coffee, fast and free wifi, and a minibar (for which you have to pay) which we used as a fridge to keep our water cool. The bathroom came with free toiletries; 30ml bottles of body wash, shampoo and body lotion as well as a small bar of soap. The rooms were serviced daily (early in the morning) and anything that was used (towels, toiletries etc.) was replaced every day. Also, the room came with a bath and shower - something I don't feel the hotel website makes clear.

The staff were multi-lingual and were very polite, friendly and helpful when we asked for more towels and extra pillows. Our request was seen to immediately and we were reassured to ask for anything else we needed during our stay. We even checked in an hour earlier than we should have.

My room was on the third floor and right by the lift, but it was incredibly quiet. The air con was the quietest I've ever used, and my room had a second internal door to keep out corridor noise.

On the day we checked out we were able to store our bags in a locked room in the lobby - there is also plenty of seating to use and toilets just off the lobby.

The breakfast was a standard european breakfast; plenty of spreads, jams and breads (and a toast machine), croissants, pain au chocolate, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, juices, teas and coffee, fruit as well as hot items like bacon, eggs and sausages.

The hotel also has a great location - located between the Rogier and De Brouckère Metro Stations, and it is less than 5 minutes walk between the two. It took around 10 minutes to walk to the Grand Place - the city is smaller than I had expected. On the same street as the hotel is a McDonalds and a brilliant place for lunch called Aux Cent D'Wiches (open from 10am) where we bought two sandwiches and drinks for less than €10. The next street is a main shopping street with plenty of other places to eat, from a waffle smothered in chocolate to health food cafes. There are also plenty of shops nearby to buy water, snacks, toiletries and medicines. Importantly, the city as a whole felt very safe to walk around, even when the shops were shut and (as in every city) the beggars were the only ones really left on the street.

The only downsides to the hotel were: 1) the maids knocked and woke us up the first morning - so after that we made sure to use the 'do not disturb' sign, and 2) the breakfast hours say 7-10:30am, however on our final morning we decided to go down at 10am for breakfast. We barely had time to grab tea and toast before the staff began to tidy everything away, and by 10:10am it was over. Finally, 3) the leaflets in the hotel weren't very useful - it would have been better for them to provide a good map of the city (not the tiny one with no landmarks on), and leaflets about all of the city museums and tours rather than a random and sparse selection.

However, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet non-smoking room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Helbo,
I would like to thank you for your very detailed review. I am sure it will be useful for future guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Marivaux and apologize for the early wake up but I hope you had a peaceful sleep the rest of the mornings. :)
Thank you once again for your comments.
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our room was high on the top floor, and being a converted cinema there are plenty of quirks and charms - a long hallway with lots of turns and a step up here, a step down. We noticed on the map on the back of the room door that all the rooms seemed to be of a different size. Contrary to other reviews, ours was almost impossibly small. Everything was provided for (including a small fridge/minibar) but it was difficult for two to move around and would have been annoying for a longer stay. The wifi also did not reach into the room. On the other hand, we had a really lovely view out into the street and we booked a promotion online and our room was only 78 Euros. We still thought we got a lot of value for that price. Service was impeccable, the room was spotless and thoughtfully laid out and the location was great. We came on a Saturday night for one night and they let us park out front for free. Theres a brand new fitness room, which was also quite small with one treadmill, bike and elliptical, and some bossu balls, but still very appreciated in a pinch on a rainy day.

Room Tip: The fact that this is a converted cinema means not all rooms are the same size. Our room was small...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I highly appreciate your feedback; your comments are helpful for future guests and to improve our services. Indeed we have rooms with different sizes and views to best meet our guests’ needs. Feel free to ask reception next time you visit if it is possible to change rooms. My front-of-house colleagues will do all they can to accommodate you.
I am also glad you had the opportunity to try our fitness and hope you enjoyed your vacation in Brussels overall.