“WOW amazing food superb service great vibe.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Osteria a l'Ombra
Ranked #582 of 3,492 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wirral
“WOW amazing food superb service great vibe.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went on recommendation. Its un assuming but outstanding. Do not leave Brussels without a visit. Its a listed building so you could easily miss it. We had an awesome experience one of the best in all of our wandering which is saying something. Class act start to finish. We will be back.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Best food in Brussels - It's hard to give it a more approriate title.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was a recommendation. On first arrival I was convinced it was a wind up.
On entering into a somewhat 'communal' (and enpty) dining area, we were told it was fully reserved and directed upstairs. Here, one has to negotiate a steep and norrow staircase and pass the smallest of kitchens before being seated in a room with no decoration and at a table which would not be out of place in a soup kitchen. We were the only diners at this point, and the outlook was not promising.
However, the room started to fill up quickly, bringing a cosy and chatty atmosphere which was very pleasant.
The staff were friendly and very knowledgeable about the foo on offer. Some dishes were unavailable due to ingredients being out of season (yes it is all cooked to order from fresh produce).
We made our choice of just a main course each and wine. First to arrive was a complementary starter (bonus).
Then the main courses. What an absolute delight. Simple ingredients, cooked to perfection, and mouthwateringly tasty. This is not the place for a bowl of stodgy pasta and a pile of mush on top. It is beautiful italian cuisine - basic and delicious.
At the end of the meal, a coffee or limoncello was offered on the house.
Is it that good? Yes, we returned ten days later and the whole experience was even better.
I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.
You won't be eating in a designer restaurant with superior (as they see it) french waiters. What you get is a family run Italian restaurant with the highest quality food (and no pizzas in sight).and excellent value for money.
You just have to go here. Soon. We will be going again within the week.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank AnIdiotAnywhere
Bruges, Belgium
“GREAT Value. LOVED IT !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Thias was my second visit. The first time I want tto ezt there, I blamed the company for having such a good meal and company. Maybe we got attaneded to so well because we were early visitors,.... ?
This time, we were quite late (last table entering the place, last to leave).
This place has a real heart, real emotion.
The waiter did a superb job! We ordered starters, main course of the blackboard. He found the perfect wine to match the meals.
We staid quite late, past midnight. We gt extra starter, pousse-cafe and desert for free. The waiter had to catch a train, but berfore leaving he came to say goodbye, and apologiesied for having to leave us to another waiter.. amazing !
Even though there were no more tavbles to attend to,, and we were just chatting around... nobody even gave usa hint to leave.
Big surprise when we paid AMEX: the owner of the place felt guilty about having to receive the tip (admittedly, the tip might have been excessive). We hope it will get to the right person tomorrow.

Oh yeah: the meal is as good as genuine Italian food gets! And great value for money !!
And at walking distance form Grand Place too !

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank DidierF1966
Denver, Colorado
“The best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I love this restaurant. My husband, daughter and I searched for it after seeing it recommended in Rick Steve's travel book. We went for dinner but did not have a reservation. Lucky for us, The waiter was very accommodating and tried to get us a table. The food was the best Italian food I have had in a long time. Everyone loved what they ordered. The waiter was charming. The kind of waiter/character I would put in a movie. A young man, with lots of enthusiasm and personality. The whole experience was enjoyable. I highly recommend it, but be sure to make reservations as it is quite small.

• Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Small, but the food is good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

This small Italian restaurant was recommended in Rick Steve's Brussels book and his choices are usually right-on so we decided we had to try the food there. We arrived just as they were closing for lunch. The man we spoke to did not advise us that we should make a reservation, but said they would open again at 6:30 pm for dinner. We told him we would be back. We decided to go there just as they opened to ensure we would get an outside table. The same man who later waited on us said that they would be opening around 7 pm or maybe later. We asked to reserve one of their few outside tables. I think there were 6. After much discussion between the 2 men who worked there they said we could have one of their outside tables close to the restaurant building and that the rest were already reserved...fine with us.

We went to another small restaurant to have a drink since we had to wait for them to open. We returned at 7 pm & there was a man at the table we were promised. We were then told that that man was a friend of the owner and that they had set up a table for us....away from the other people at the other outside tables. Even though we felt like outcastes we decided to eat there. To start off we both had an Aperol & soda. Then ordered the fresh tomato & bufala mozzarella...excellent. I ordered the Veal Scaloppini with pasta and my husband ordered the spaghetti with shrimp. So far so good. After the meal we both ordered a Lemoncello.

Then we waited and waited for the waiter to come back to check on us. After what seemed like forever I had to go inside to ask where our waiter was so I could pay for the meal. He never returned, but when they saw that I was going to pay by credit card they told me I had to go inside.

The service was slow although the man waiting on us was very charming & brought out a chalk board with all the other dishes that were available that night.

We would recommend that you make a reservation if you want to eat.

• Visited August 2012