“Great location, okay food”
Review of La Chaloupe d'or

La Chaloupe d'or
Ranked #851 of 3,759 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Brew Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Chaloupe d'Or is an historical brasserie-restaurant on Brussels' Grand'Place. The place to be. Since its building in 1692 for the tailor's guilt, La Chaloupe d'Or has kept alive a unique tradition of warm and cozy atmosphere. Enjoy the view on Grand'Place from our sunny terrasse or through the windows of our cosy historical rooms on 3 floors. Let us pamper you with our typical Belgian specialties. Visit our banquet rooms for your event. Prestige and tradition.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The location is amazing, directly on the Grand Place. There are seats outside but we had a corner seat inside the restaurant. Service was fairly scatterbrained and slow - we got our own menus, we had to find a waiter to take our order (although the food came pretty quickly) and we had to find a waiter to bring us our bill. I was disappointed with my potato - tartiflette-style. I should have asked the waiter to tell me what this actually consisted. I was expecting tartiflette, but it was actually a baked potato with ham and cream - very disappointing for 14 euros. The vin chaud was the best I've ever had and my friend enjoyed her croque monsieur. It wasn't a terrible meal, but it was the worst one that we had during our stay.

Olivier G, Responsable relations publiques at La Chaloupe d'or, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

First of all, thank you for giving us feedback about your experience at La Chaloupe d'Or and for the friendly comments about the setting, the warm wine and the croque-monsieur. We are very sorry about your experience of our winter suggestion "pomme de terre tartiflette". I will check with the chef why it appeared so poor. We daily work on a constant quality and this point is important. Regarding the service, we always have at least one person coordinating the service and it seldom happens that our customers have to wait. Some of our guests like to stay for a while, slowly enjoy a drink and the view, others come in for a faster lunch or dinner and this is the reason why a coordinator "responsable de salle" is always trying to adapt the rythm according to each person's expectation. We are sorry that you had to wait. We hope to welcome you again to have the opportunity to restore a better image of our restaurant.

Have a nice spring and, we hope, see you soon ?

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My visit to Brussels was brief, so I wanted a quick lunch. This restaurant was convenient on the centuries old Grand Place. On a chilly, rainy December the scene out the window and warm fireplace were a pleasant break. I had the "Duo de Saumon (Salmon tartare, 20.90 Euro) which was an appetizer, but very generous and tasty portion, along with an Orval beer on tap (5.80 Euro). Note that this place and every other for blocks, opens only at noon; never earlier.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Can't fault anything with this restaurant - fantastic location (right on Grand Place by the Christmas tree), excellent service, top-class food! I would definitely return on a future trip to Brussels.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This restaurant is located in Grand Place which means that you can expect super location and views and, of course, "super" prices. This was true. Food was good but not top, the prices very high compared with food quality, and service good. It was obvious that you pay mainly for the location...

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This restaurant is in an amazing old guild hall so it has the look and feel of an extremely old building. It'd directly on Le Grand Place, so it's where everyone wants to be. It's incredibly popular with potential customers being turned away from 19.00 onwards on a Saturday evening. We were sat on the 3rd floor overlooking the Christmas tree in the Le Grand Place. The food was incredibly mediocre and tasting better than it looked. I struggled being vegetarian, having a pile of hot vegetables as a starter, followed by a vegetable lasagne as a main course. My meat eating companions had the boiled chicken with julienne vegetables. It looked deeply unappetising but apparently tasted quite nice.
I was really looking forward to my first Belgian waffle as a dessert, but I found it dry and very disappointing. The waiting staff were lovely, but the service was very slow. The waiting staff struggled to serve everyone but their intentions were good and they made up for the delays by being charming.