“Don't expect any smiles”
Review of les brassins

les brassins
Ranked #160 of 3,691 Restaurants in Brussels
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Les Brassins is a cozy place. Low profile - typical Belgian. Good family food, good prices, good range of national beers. Everything perfect... except for the service. Efficient, for sure, but no smiles at all. Can you survive this? We did, and had a rather nice experience.
NO creditcards, NO debitcard (bancontact) - which is annoying, actually.

There are newer reviews for les brassins

Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a Belgian I recommend many people to eat in this place if they want a no nonsense dining experience. The menu lists most of the typical Belgian dishes and a large number of Belgian beers all at a below average price. Out of the many times I had dinner here, the food was always incredible. I recommend people to try the Carbonnade or the Jambonneau, although it's hard to get something that isn't good here. All dishes are made with Belgian fries or Belgian stoemp (mashed potatoes with vegetables). The only downside of this restaurant is that it's very small and it gets too busy at night. This causes the service to become incredibly bad. (They rush and seem unfriendly) If you can eat here during the day, service is much better. Overall an incredible restaurant, where the cheap price and incredible food justifies the bad service. The food here is not served in small sizes! About the atmosphere I can only say it looks very comfy because of its small size and wooden tables and bar. Enjoy!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hostess really didn't want to seat us without reservations on New Year's Eve. Yet it was early, 7:30, and only three tables were seated. My husband, ever the diplomat, assured her that we would finish our meal before the 9:30 deadline. My family was pleased with our dinners. At last I could claim that I had mussels in Brussels. They were cooked perfectly. My husband's burger also was cooked perfectly. Our daughter had a local specialty, stuempf. The hostess/server warmed up to us and it turned out to be a great neighborhood restaurant. Be forewarned: cash only.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Small and cozy restaurant. The food was delicious: we had the due of croquettes (cheese and shrimps), the Italian salad (with tasteful mozzarella and dried tomatoes) and of course the moule frites. Only the French fries were not really good since floppy.
The price was ok. I think that the price of the moule frites is overpriced everywhere in Bruxelles.
A little bit disappointing was the service. She did not really care of the guests. First she obliged to move from a big table to a smaller one. Then she put together two tables for us since there was no place on the table for our food.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very wide selection of local beers and meats prepared in traditional ways, family-like atmosphere and low-key clientele. Authentic and enjoyable.