“Best in Place Jourdan”

Cafe des epices
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I go to this restaurant at least once a week. It is a big restaurant with all types of people. It is only understandable that you cannot please them all. The prices are those of the neighbourhood, but the food is freshly cooked (hence the wait sometimes) and the waiters do their best to cope with the infinite demands: more bread, less bread, bigger portions, lesser portions...you name it, i've seen it all! I really do not see why some people comment that the pasta is not home made (where did you get the idea that you can have freshly made pasta in a brasserie for 10 euros a huge bowl???) The place is full with eurocrats during lunch working days and with cute little retired families or children during the weekend. The atmosphere is great and even if you don't see a 3 stars restaurant service, i think having a good time is really only up to your capacity to understand that you're in a brasserie and not a STAR restaurant.
Enjoy!

2  Thank ingridlaura2011

Reviewed April 27, 2011

I don´t know how many times I have already walked past this restaurant always thinking that it looks really nice and that I would like to try it. Today was the day and I was absolutely disappointed. The waiters were very nice and funny but couldn´t make up for the food. It was o.k. but not worth what they were charging. They charge a lot for the location (place Jourdan). I ordered a vegetable lasagne. The pasta wasn´t cooked well enough and it don´t think it was freshly made. My husband had a croque Monsieur with a side dish of fries. It was pathetic. A tiny plate with about 15 fries and you couldn´t get fat on the croque Monsieur which was literally just two slices of toast with a slice of cheese and ham inbetween. There are far more reasonable restaraunts around with a better quality of food.

Reviewed April 24, 2011

We were very disappointed by the cafe des epices. The service was very bad; the waiter was pretty rude. He wouldn't want to explain anything about the menu, didn't give us any bread, and forgot to bring the croquettes with the main course. When he finally did, our dish was already cold. And at the end, he kept the change as a tip without even asking. If the food had been good it wouldn't be so bad, but in fact it was completely tasteless and the quantity was ridiculous (only four "croquettes" for the main course, and they were obviously frozen!!)

1  Thank luciegarmont
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I'm used client of the place. The food is correct, fresh and tasty. The prices are not very high. You can enjoy the terrace on crowdy Place Jourdan. Service is good

Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went last week to this restaurant and were confronted with a useless waiter and the worse service ever, even for Belgium standards. First the waiter ignored us for a long while, then I had to remind him several times to bring us a bottle of sparkling water and finally after a while he gave us still water. So far the usual bad Belgium service. But then after we had ordered, my food (nothing to sophisticated it was the plat du jour) came 20 minutes after the food of other person I was having lunch with. When I mentioned this to the waiter he rudely mentioned that "he was very busy and in any way it was not his fault". I then I politely mentioned it to the manager he magnanimously accepted that "it was not normal" and then he hastily added (without any inkling of apology) "but now next time you know which restaurant you should avoid". For all those that live in Brussels or happen to be here, please follow the manager's advice and avoid this horrible restaurant.

3  Thank Alvarorrr