“Traditional good Belgian food”
Review of Callens Cafe

Callens Cafe
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Callens Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #508 of 3,715 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Liked the atmosphere in the apart as we have been there for a Team dinner. Food and wine was traditional Belgian type and very good.

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

So as a group of colleagues (14) we selected this "in place" for our quarterly night out. I arrived slightly later and the restaurant was already busy. My colleagues had been left to their own devices and had chosen an awful Hungarian wine. When I tried it my gums curled.
I ordered as a starter the croquettes de crevettes and have to say they were reasonably priced and jolly nice. For the mains, the majority chose pasta dishes whilst I and some others chose meaty dishes. Another mistake was made when someone chose a cote de Blaye as wine and it was tasteless. No restaurant should be serving a 2011 Bordeaux yet. Yuck. With my Vol au Vent with Morilles I decided to act and try to get a decent wine. Unfortunately, the wine menu is dire. Plonk, plonk and a little bit more plonk. I did find a "Chass Spleen 2009" and despite its €40 price tag, I didn't want my night to be remembered for dodgy wine....Oh hang on. It arrived at the table way too cold and needed at least 20 mins before the temp rose.

At around midnight the music was turned up, but I had become so unimpressed by the place that I was gone by 01:30.

Yes I can understand why people want to be seen there (les beaux mecs et les belles femmes) but really, there are so many better places in Brussels. I shan't be returning.

1  Thank Hthebloke
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Spent a nice and fun evening at this restaurant. The food was good and everyone was happy. However, a rather young crowd. The service was adequate but a little bit tired. Nice touch with the "free" sparkling wine at midnight and that's when the dance music started to pour out of the speakers and people started to dance on the tables. Would recommend for larger groups.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

A nice brasserie, good interior and atmosphere and a nice terrace for good summer evenings. The menu is very attractive and the chef doesn't let you down on the expectations raised. My wife took the sashimi starter, fresh well arranged on the plate. For me the tuna tartar with some foie gras was a delight, well seasoned, well cut and well arranged as well. Hence the (baby) lobster amoricaine, was again well cooked and beautifully arranged. It was perhaps a bit small for an entree and there could have been something more on the side, but I consider that a detail. My vol-au-vent with morilles, was probably the best I have eaten here in Brussels. It is a typical Brusselois dish, that will be served in every brasserie. Howver this one was nicely filled with nice tender chicken meat and had a tasty, well balanced delicious sauce. On the side there were home made French fries. We ate very well and paid only 100 euros for this meal, including three aperitifs and wine.That is a good price fro Brussels

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Have had lunch here on a couple of occasions and for the price the food is average.
Pasta soaked in olive oil, dry meat and at times long waiting times.
There are much nicer better priced places in this neighborhood.

1  Thank ntm21