“Innovative zoo”
Review of Planckendael

Planckendael
Ranked #3 of 40 things to do in Mechelen
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Park visited with the kids and they loved it very much, had been awhile since I've been there myself. There is lately changed and modernized a lot so I did not recognize it anymore and was pleasantly surprised. The new residence of the elephants is a highlight and the giraffes are also enjoying themselves in the their new residence. Nothing to be desired, a visit more than worth though I think the admission price of € 24 is a bit on the high side for an animal park of this size.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Nobody in the know takes their kids to the zoo in Antwerp. It is right in the middle of town near the train station and there is insufficient space for the animals. Planckendael is hardly the best place I've ever been to, but if you have kids, it's one of the best places in Brussels. There are animals to be seen, playgrounds for the kids to play, and nice terraces for the grown-ups to drink strong Belgian beers. There are worse ways to spend a nice summer day.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Near to Mechelen, some 25 kms from Antwerp you will find this wonderful zoo in the countryside. It is great to visit with children, many playgrounds. Recent modernizations show the animals in their (more) natural surroundings.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

It was a few years since my last visit, but it amazed me how much investments were made to upgrade their grounds to a level where you can't talk about "just another zoo" anymore. We have no children, but enjoyed every second in this amazing park. Congrats for the new elephant area, this is a fantastic building and playground for them to live in, for us to observe them in peace. Planckendael even thought about putting in (clean!!!) toilets on the upper watch out level over the large elephant area, should you decide to hang out a little while there.

This park is worth every penny!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Me and my husband visited Planckendael with oud two kids (3y and almost 2y old) and my parents. We all had a great time.
Although it's a zoo, there's lots of space... for the animals as well as for the visitors.
For my kids, the visit to the little petting zoo (which is just one of many parts of Planckendael) with its goats was the highlight of the day.
Throughout the park, there are facilities to do a diper change, which comes in very handy when you have small kids.
We already decided to go back and it won't be long!