3 Paardekens Hotel
Novotel Mechelen Centrum(Mechelen)(Great Value!)
$122
Priceline
TripAdvisor
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrote marktsmall sizehotel is locatedone nightgreat hotelbusiness tripcathedralreceptionistalarmcitybeer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Visited this Hotel in November 2011 with my Brother in Law. We went to the Famous Colour Canary Exhibition in Mechelen. This year November 2013 we are going again. This Hotel is well situated near to the Groat Market with plenty of Bars and Resturants to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Mechelen.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, it is down a quite street, with no traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sakodanny
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was apprehensive as I approached the small front door, knowing that reviews have been rather variable. I need not have worried. Once I had stepped inside I took a liking to the smart but not indulgent interior. The receptionist greeted me with a smile and was very helpful indeed. A perfect start. I'd arrived early in the morning but the receptionist went out of her way to prepare a room for me well before the regular 2pm check-in time. My room was on the second floor and there is a lift. The room had a modern fresh appeal and looked like it had been recently decorated. It had a large flat tv, nice shower and plenty of coat hangers. It did not have a coffee maker or paper tissues but I didn't need either anyway. The bed was very comfortable. I was very satisfied with my room and slept well.The size met my expectations. Not large. Not tiny. Just compact and comfortable and no need to squeeze past anything as I moved about. I did not have a chance to sample bar or breakfast as I returned to my room late and left before 7am the next day.

Reception is manned until11pm. After this you can use a code to let yourself in. Alternatively, ring the bell and the night watchman will come from the sister hotel in just one minute.

The location of the hotel is perfect for access to the pleasing and pedestrianised historical centre, being almost directly underneath the tower in the main square, Grote Markt. I arrived by train from Brussels and simply followed the signs to the centre, walking with my rolling luggage for 10-15 minutes. It didn't feel far. Mechelen is compact and blends a historic centre with many fine shops, including up market global brands. If you are travelling on a budget, there is a large supermarket nearby. If you have children 5-16 they will enjoy a visit to Technopolis on the outskirts of town where they can get their hands on a huge number of interactive scientific experiments.

The train took around 40 minutes from Brussels airport to Mechelen, changing at Brussels Nord. Cost was €7 each way. From June, there will be a direct train that will take only 8 minutes. There is also a direct bus service. I will happily revisit the hotel and Mechelen.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a narrow high sided street so you don't get a fancy view. On the other hand there is no street noise so you sleep well.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VolAuVent
Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel is located on a narrow street just after a corner to the Grote Markt (main plaza in Mechelen/Maline).

The photos with the cathedral are about the view you have from 3rd floor where you may have breakfast.

The rooms are clean and cosy.

The hotel does not have restaurant for dinner or lunch, but they can recommend a good one ('t Oude Conservatorium) or you may find one for your tastes around the main market.

There is no 24h reception available, so remember the instructions you are given at check-in in order to pass by the secured door if you come back into the room late at night (22 - 23h).

Overall: simple check-in/check-out, all-you-can eat breakfast.

We had some WiFi inside the room, but I don't remember if we were lucky or it was included.

Ask at the reception if you really need internet.

Recommended for couples, day-trips to Anvers/Antwerpen, and for the ones that enjoy quite stays in not-so-busy towns.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adi L
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This hotel is at a great location but it is having an amateurish ambiance. The rooms are too small and likely to be constructed by a builder lacking experience as components are falling apart, toilets are too low, shower doors cannot completely open, shower head is coming from wall , mirrors can easily break by the doorknob touching it.
I opted for this hotel due to price and location but would not return nor advice to other travelers.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stayed here for one night, price / quality ratio is fantastic, room is clean and modern, and warm (it was snowing outside), check in was fast, efficient and pleasant, with staff giving advice on where to shop, eat and drink in the town centre.

Highly recommended.