“Spare ribs a volonté”

Ranked #114 of 1,497 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Belgian, European, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The perfect place to eat out, also with a low budget All you can eat ribsmenu, or one of the other delicious items on our menu. Tried our Prawns? Perfect for large groups, groups can also contact us to come outside opening hours (min. 20 per.) All information on our website. Please book reservations via the booking-page on our website. See you soon ! Team Amadeus
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Amadeus is probably the oldest and best known spare rib place in Antwerp, maybe even Belgium. I went last week and liked it a lot. They just opened a new restaurant in Antwerp, now they have 2 and a few more in other Belgian cities like Ghent.

The formula is quite simple: you pay about 15 euro for Spare ribs + potatoes a volonté. Wine is paid by the centimeter, other drinks and other meals are also available but not ordered a lot.

There are newer reviews for Amadeus Antwerp 1

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent ribs and jacketed potatoes in large portions, or who wishes something else it's also available. Though it's mainly THE place for ribs, no argument there. Staff are friendly but not extremely helpfull, probably due to the fact that it's always busy. Atmoshpere is usually loud but welcoming, if you're looking for romance this in probably the wrong choice though. Overall, I love the ribs and will come back regularly!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This restaurant is extremely casual, but has a good atmosphere. In the end you go for the ribs, and they are the best!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Amadeus advertises itself as “The Place for Ribs”. Eating a truly great rib is a wonderful culinary experience. To me, a truly great rib is full of flavor, the meat falls off the bone and the sauce lingers delightfully on your lips. Amadeus doesn’t quite offer that.

The ribs are served all-you-can-eat with a slightly spicy, molasses-like sauce. On the side is a baked potato loaded with garlic butter and a meager salad.

The ambiance in the Antwerp branch enhances the dining experience (it’s evidently an old glass factory). Service was efficient.

Please note that the restaurant abysmally fails the clean bathroom test—and there’s no excuse for that.

Bottom line: if you are in Belgium and have a taste for ribs, then go for it. Just don’t expect something special.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Really was hoping I would have an awesome rib-place beside my apartment, but this was not it.

Staff were courteous but curt. While I was being escorted to my table I inquired about Wifi and basically told that there is some but he didn't know the password (with a clear slant indicating he wasn't going to find it out for me). I was sat at my table and then deserted. Someone came over to take my order, but I hadn't seen a menu (turns out they don't have menus, but no one explained that to me). Waiter explained the menu-choices and I ordered.

Service was quick, I'll say that in their favour.

But the ribs were tough, and not very flavoursome - not to mention costing 16 euro for ONE rack of not-very-meaty BABY ribs. The (included) baked potato was passable, the salad bland and not freshly prepped (dried out).

My coke was flat flat flat (and 1.95 for a very small glass of it).

When the waiter asked if everything was ok and I said "mmm, not really" he just shrugged and walked off instead on inquiring as to the problems.

All in all, a poor experience and I won't go back ever. This is the first restaurant review I have ever felt the need to write in 20 years of dining out - that says something about how disappointed I was.