“Outstanding hostel”

and 1 more site!
Antwerp Backpackers Hostel (abhostel)
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Abhostel is easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Bridget is a lovely and accommodating host, who has really thought about how to improve the hostel experience. The whole place is very clean, with a charming, homely vibe. Rooftop is beautiful when it's sunny. Shared bathrooms are fairly standard but clean and always with hot water. Breakfast is the best part: as well as the standard hostel breakfast fare, there's a well-equipped kitchen and a fridge with eggs you can use.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gemma C

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had a very warm welcome in the abhostel in antwerpen. bridget was really friendly, showed us around and explained everything. the rooms were absolutly tidy and the beds were comfy, so we all had a good night there. compared to a lot of other hostels i´ve been, the abhostel was extraordinary and i can recommend it to all other travelers who come to antwerpen...Michelle

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've been to Abhostel in March 2012, which was a very pleasant stay for me. I called in a day before I had to travel to Antwerp, and they only had a double room left, which was too expensive for me. The nice female owner of the hostel was nice enough to let me stay in that room for half price!

The neighborhood in which the hostel is situated is much better than other hostels I have stayed at in Antwerp. It's very easy to get to, either by foot or tram. In the afternoon there was a group of men singing religious songs in a building a bit further away, but at night the place is nice and quiet. And what's wrong about grasping a bit of extra culture along your stay in Antwerp? The room was very tidy and charming.

Upon arrival, the hostel owner showed me around the hostel, told me about the history of the place and gave me a lot of useful information about the city. There is a kitchen available and also a shower and toilets. There's a very cute hangout downstairs with books, a guitar for free use and lots to see. There's even a beer vending machine! The roof terrace was amazing, very neat and a great hangout for when you just arrived after a long journey and want to relax for a moment. Also, you can get your own key for the door so you can come in at whatever time you please, which is not always the case in hostels.

The only downside I would say, were the very tiny toilet rooms, and the cracked toilet seat that kind of hurt my behind :p But if you need absolute luxury, you shouldn't book a (youth) hostel in the first place. If you don't like nice, down-to-earth people and the ambiance of cooking your own dinner/making your own breakfast (you shouldn't expect a full continental breakfast with these prices!), I'd recommend you to book a room at the Raddison Blu.

Nonetheless this was the most amazing ho(s)tel experience I've had in Europe, the quality is amazing for the prices of this hostel. And I can't stress enough how nice the staff was. I would recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Antwerp, and I will definitely go back there soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed four days in this lovely hostel. The owners Greg and Bridget are very nice people who where very helpfull with advise and support. We were with a party of three, two adults and a child of four years old. They even had a little corner with toys, perfect. The room we had was nice and clean. Also the shared rooms, such as bathroom om and kitchen were very clean. Everything what must be in a kitchen was there. Every morning you can have your breakfast with toast, eggs, jam etcetera. Coffee and tea for free. Speaking hostel wise this is an hostel+.
The location is very nice situated very near the centre (only 2 stops by tram). In the area are lots of nice stores, arabic style. You can buy food just around the corner. We visited many hostels but this is the best so far. Strange to read about the negative revieuws, we don't experienced that at all. Probably those people visited a hostel and expect an 5* hotel. If you want to visit Antwerp and you need a good, personal, clean, nice located hostel we absolutely recomment the ABHostel. If we comeback back to Antwerp we stay there for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ramona L
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We want to do everything for our guests! But some things are just not possible! We dont want to use this forum to hurt our guests.( so i will not tell details about the bad reviewers)
It really hurts us that guests lie about us, just because,...
We know we re doing very well as we re really interested in suggestions, our guestbook, reviews,..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

What a terrible experience I had at this hostel.I went by the photos when booking it as it appeared charming. .How wrong I was!! The hostel is located in the heavily populated Arab quater of Antwerp in a terrible location.I was told by the female owner that it was in the Arty area of Antwerp....does she need specks!!?It is littered with Arabic shops,seedy coffee shops...no problem with that but just be honest and tell your clients on your description the kind of down trodden district the hostel sits.Now the hostel....first appearance nice and creative until you enter your room and the reading lights don`t function,the kitchen cold water tap doesn`t function,breakfast is a measly slice of bread with chocolate sauce ...and an egg if you wish to cook it yourself on a cooker that only functions 50%!!!.alarming also that you can check in between 1pm and 3pm or 6pm to 8pm.I arrived 5 minutes early and the ridiculous lady who I payed my money to stay told me she was kind enough to let me in 5 minutes early.Whilst at the hostel a rather distressed female client was disturbed as she couldn`t find her luggage and wanted to know where the owner was of course the owner wasn`t around hope her luggage was found safely.All in all terrible experience,nice exchange of conversation with other guests.Wouldn`t recommend it .Far better hostels closer to town.Or try The Posiden Hotel right behind the Catherdral in the old town at 57 per night between 2 people fairs far better than than what you pay at that hostel.She was proud to mention that it had won the award for best hostel???Well,there was a certificate on the wall for 2009 it`s gone downhill a lot since then I am quite sure of that.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I go to hostels a lot, and i have to say this was the most charming one i ever went to. I was welcomed by bridget and greg, the owners and the made me feel at home. the building used to be a chocolate factory (and that in antwerp!) The rooms are very pretty and the chalkboard wall is really fun, everybody can leave a note, great idea! the common area is real cosy with a lot of nice vintage stuff, and ... the vending machine has various belgian beers, how cool is that! i can't understand the review of lummiere, i think they went to another hostel! sad really! so thanks a bunch for the lovely stay bridget and greg and when i ever come to antwerp again, i will definitly come back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo