“Fantastic”
Review of Velazquez

Velazquez
Reserve with
Velazquez is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,456 Restaurants in Antwerp
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were in Antwerp for one night on a mini cruise. My partner had seen the reviews of this restaurant so we thought we would try it for ourselves. I am very glad we did. The external menu had no English translation, so we thought it might be a menu mystery tour, but there was an English translation inside.

A beautiful amuse bouche to start was followed by one of the best starters I have ever tasted (and I have dined in a number of 1 and 2 Michelin star establishments). Quail with cottage cheese, anchovy and braised lettuce hearts. What an amazing combination. I ordered lamb for my main, which was unbelievably tender. Dessert of lemon meringue pie was to die for, even though I was totally full from the first two courses. The menu changes around every month I believe, but if any of these dishes are on the menu, I totally recommend them.

The restaurant was about half full, but there was a lovely, relaxed atmosphere. The attention to detail in the cooking and the truly lovely service made this a really lovely evening out. Some people may baulk at the prices, it was not a cheap meal, but it was worth every penny - we were looked after from start to finish and the fact that my fussy partner could find no fault really does say it all!

Overall, I would honestly recommend this restaurant and will revisit if I am ever back in Antwerp.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Louisca

Antwerp, Belgium
“Good, but did'nt blow us away.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Restaurant Velazquez, situated somewhat out of the real city center is a nice place to visit.
The food is OK and the chef really is interested in the guests' opinion.

We took a both an opener and main dish. Unlike the other comments read here, we were not blown away. I must admit that the quality of the food is very good, technically the dishes look OK and the tatse is fine, but it lacks a bit of "balls"

The kitchen plays on safe, some side dishes were served for both starters and main dish and the suggested meat was served on a metal dish.

The team is very friendly and the atmosphere is OK, outside seating is also very nice for Antwerp.

Worth a retry.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Winecook
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“What a brilliant restaurant. A diamond in the rough.”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We have been warm welcomed by the hostess, Monique. A true hostess which will make you feel at home and as if you have been having diner there for many years. We have had the Thai mussels soup as a starter. The soup was filled with mussels and the taste was brilliant. The main course was a steak tartare with fries. I am not a chef, but if I had to make steak tartare this is how I think it should be. The ingredients where right, the meat not to small and not too cold or too warm. Just perfect. Dessert was a lovely tarte tatin with icecream. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and although it was busy not too noisy. As I said. A brilliant restaurant and a diamond in the rough. A recommendation. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Polleke74
Malle, Belgium
“Excellent restaurant !!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The food (French Belgian cooking) is very pure en and looks like a work of art. The chef only prepares meals with fresh ingredients and this is why the meals taste excellent!
The atmosphere is very warm and friendly. You won't be disappointed !!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank May V
Antwerp, Belgium
“splendid new restaurant to discover in the fashion district area!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

a warm and very cosy atmosphere in combination with delicious food and lovely owners.
i love to sit in the lounge with a glass of good red wine ending up with a great meal. the chef is very flexible and takes good care of my particular wishes :)
i'll definately go back soon!

• Visited January 2014