“ma-tu-vue / place to be to be seen”
Review of Au Vieux Port

Au Vieux Port
Ranked #115 of 1,439 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Kontich, Antwerpen, Belgium
“ma-tu-vue / place to be to be seen”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Next to the old harbor, north of the old city of Antwerpen, build by Napoleon Bonaparte, you will find a typical Belgian restaurant, based on the French cuisine ‘au vieux port’ which means ‘at the old harbor’. It is a place to meet and be seen. The former mayor of Antwerpen and some well-known Belgian business angels were also having lunch. It is a typical French style bistro, with mirrors against the wall, typical white tiles in the toilets and stained glass front windows and of course the thonet chairs (they can be uncomfortable) and yes, staff in black trousers and white shirts with a black apron. The food is of high standard quality, with lots of cream and butter (this is French cuisine), but overall it did not over exceed my expectations. I read in some tripadvisor comments that the staff can be very pretentious. I had the impression that, due to their success and repeat customers of high level with probably high tips, ‘newcomers’ are not treated in the same way. I was invited by a well-known client and the “garcons” treated us like kings for 260€ per person (with one glass of wine!).

• Visited May 2013

Antwerp
“One of the best restaurants in Antwerp”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Traditional cuisine with fresh ingredients which are just prepared the way it should be, in a nice atmosphere (a bit old fashioned but perfect match with the food). The wines are delicious and the staff is friendly and helpfull. I have bin there several times, but each time was close to perfection. You pay a little more, but I think it's worth it. Only "negative" remark is that it can be a little noisy sometimes. But see for yourself ;-)

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Unexpected goodbye”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just would like to describe an unexpected "goodbye" my wife and I have received from restaurant staff during our stay in your restaurant on the 10th of May around 1pm.

We were walking around the Antwerpen port coming from a museum when we come across, among others, your restaurant. My wife is pregnant and she was starving. We had no doubt to get in your restaurant when we noticed the high level of consumers inside ordering a variety of dishes.

Gently, a very nice woman (waitress) arranged a comfortable table for us. Then we have asked a English menu, and she told me there is no menu in English. Honestly, we felt it was fine because we were not in UK or USA where they speak English as official language. However it was little bit difficult to understand the menu. To our surprise, a kind (blond) man (waiter) came to our table help us translating the menu. It was really vey helpful and he tried also to show some fishes to my wife, helping her get a good choice. I am sure he noticed my wife was pregnant( she is 6 months pregnant) and also we have mentioned that. As you know there is some food constraints for those who is pregnant, including some kind of fish and cheese. One of the dishes he mentioned was about salmon and asparagus. We have decided to order that as starting point to decide next dishes. Unfortunately, salmon came crude with is not reccomend for a pregnant. Then my wife ate asparagus while I was in charge of delicious salmon. It was a very nice dish. However, it would be very difficult to move forward to another surprise box dish. Then we understood the best decision would be simply leave the place as it could happen to anyone in everywhere around the world. Customer has just decided ask the bill. However, just after I have pressed my password in the credit card machine, paying the bill, the waiter just sad "I have never seen since my first day here 2 or 5 years ago a couple came to this restaurant and just share a starter dish". The expression is his face was very offensive and he was definitely trying to humiliate us. And more than that: when we were getting off and I gently sad "thank you" and he just ignored us.

My wife and I have never imagined we could receive this kind of comment in such restaurant, where business people usually go. This comment simply destroyed our afternoon. We felt really humiliated.

• Visited May 2012
6 Thank EduardoGuimaraes
vancouver
“the very best”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

great service, atmosphere and above all, food.
Pressed duck is remarkably superb as is eel terrine and other specialities like steak tartar.
Great wine list also.
You will not be dissapointed

• Visited October 2012