“Expensive”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The prices were not as good as we had expected. Most of the shops were closed on the Saturday so I would advise you to go during the week days.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank saffachapter

Deurne, Belgium
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Het Steen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

a small castle, at the side of the river "de Schelde", just out of the center of Antwerp. Beautifull castle with on its feet the statue of "Tyl Uylenspiegel" a real legend of Antwerp.

Visited February 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Do not do business with Philippe Harold”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Avoid at all costs. Philippe Harold can not help you enough until money changes hands after that he will not reply to e mails of take your calls. On the day i arrived to Antwerp he would not even answer his mobile to give me directions.

After i spent a large amount of money on the engagement ring we decided as we were there we to also purchase the wedding bands Philippe measured me and ordered the ring which had to be paid in full for before leaving, when the ring arrived it did not fit. And it was no way near the thickness we agreed on.

Philippe Harold insisted that is did fit and that it was our problem and not his. He became quite abusive twords my partner via e mail and after 30-40 e mails Philippe Harold finally agreed to take the ring back and send a refund.

When we sent the ring back Philippe Harold said he had sent the refund, after a month we still had not recieved the refund, he first insisted he sent it then refused to send it. He cut off all comtact and was determined to keep the ring and the money. I had to threaten to contact the tax enforcement agency and send an e mail to the Antwerp Diamond Jewellers Association to finally get the refund.

It took over 4 months to receive our money back which only came because we reported him to the Antwerp Diamond Jewellers Association. It is not worth the stress to be dealing with such an arrogant and incompetent and unprofessional person. There are many fine jewelers in Antwerp but Philippe Harold is not one of them.

Visited May 2012
30 Thank mickdelaney2002
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Condes Jeweller - the best of the lot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I went to antwerp a month ago with my fiancee to pick out a ring - I tried mainly the shops cited here as good. We really wanted to buy a ring that was already made up (as visualising something can be quite different to the finished product). We didnt even really know what style we wanted (solitaire, emerald, halo etc etc) - so we tried on many different rings - some places did not like this (almost accused us of wasting their time). For designers like phillipe harrold etc this is fair enough, and they were nice to us anyway.

Diamondland was nice, but expensive. Riki (beside station) was nice-ish, but was quite forceful, which was a turn off for me. I found the staff in Geretti to be quite snotty, and the diamonds to be almost 25% more expensive than Condes. Orsini were nice, not forceful, and reasonably priced. We decided in the end on a lovely ring from Condes - due to the price, and the staff. Melissa Condes (the owner's daughter) was so helpful and nice, and 100% trustworthy. Her father also happened to be there when we returned to buy the ring and he was also lovely. We were given champagne, and brought to see the ring being re-sized. All the certs etc were 100% in order - we got a small cert upon purchase and got the official full one posted to us in Ireland - it arrived about 2 weeks later (we were nervous, but everything was perfect).

We got the ring valued for insurance purposes back home, and the valuer put a value of almost double what we paid for it. He said Sept - November is a great time to visit antwerp as the jewellers want to sell to get money for their christmas stock (which will be priced higher). We are soooo delighted with our purchase - when you're spending alot of money you want to be certain, and Condes really made us feel confident with our purchase. I will definitely return to this shop if I am ever buying more diamonds and would recommend this place to anyone!

Visited October 2012
17 Thank okayeoiny
Western Ireland, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Philippe Harold - STAY CLEAR AT ALL COSTS!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I spend months designing my engagement ring, and after months of emails between all the relevant jewellers I decided to go with Philippe Harold. He couldnt have been more helpful UNTIL he received the deposit. Then what was daily conversations stopped! We flew over to him and even when we arrived we rang him, no answer. We text him asking where exactly his store was. No answer!!! We finally found the store. He was extremly cold towards his customers. I received my ring, and we then asked about wedding bands. So we ordered our wedding bands there and then. He asks you before you arrive to bring cash. On arrival he then asked us to take out our phones in front of him and delete all trace of him from the phone. He then sent us away with my ring, and with no paperwork, not even a receipt. This goes in the post. Stupidly, we were so shell shocked we went along with it.

He measured my partners finger, and we placed our order. The ring arrived one size TO SMALL, and the width was TOO NARROW. This sparked a nasty bitter email conversation between us, starting by him telling us "You got what you ordered". How could we? He measured my partners finger, not me!! He stated we need to return the ring. Which we did, registered mail. He confirmed he received it and after weeks of agreeing he agreed to refund us "when his accountant has time" (ONLY after us threatening legal action)!! A few days later he said the refund had been issued. That was 4 months ago! Since then, we have been emailing every other day as no refund was made. He told us "Sort out this problem yourselves". Nice hay!! So, this left us with no choice. We contacted Visa. They needed the refund transaction code. Philippe Harold refused point blank to give this to us! Quite clear at this stage he had never made the refund. This was 4 months on!! Visa then couldnt help, as they needed that code. So, We then contacted the police in Ireland. They couldnt help. Antwerp police said we would have to fly over! So finally, I contacted my solictor.

We sent a final email to Philippe Harold, advising him that Police, Fraud departments, Visa and now Solicitors were involved as he would not provide us with the refund authorisation code that was needed. This was 2 days ago. Today .... 4 MONTHS LATER - we received our refund.

It has left a nasty bitter taste of what should have been the happiest moment of a girls life to get engaged. My friends have dealt with Joe Katz and said he could not have been better!! Whereas, Philippe Harold not only wanted to KEEP OUR RING & KEEP OUR MONEY, he also kept insulting our intelligence with comments like "Tell your partner to check her mentality". Clearly he thought we wouldnt chase up our refund, and he most certainly didnt like the fact that we did!

I cannot tell anyone enough, STAY CLEAR. The stress is not worth it. A good diamond can be found in any of the 5 registered jewellers in Antwerp. You may save something like 100euros by going to someone like Philppe Harold, but look what happens when you do.....!!!!

The most UNPROFESSIONAL, ignorant, nasty character I have ever met. A TOTAL DISGRACE to his business and those in the diamond business.

All of the above can be proved with emails between both Philippe Harold and myself.

Visited May 2012