“GREAT LITTLE HOTEL WITH 1ST CLASS LOCATION FOR THE MONEY”
Review of Postiljon

Postiljon
Ranked #48 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We have just returned from Antwerp and a 5 night stay in this hotel. Our room was on the first floor with quite steep steps so I would not recommended it to anyone who this would cause problems to as there is no lift. Our room (number 4) was situated at the back of the hotel. You could hear the Cathedral bells but unlike some other guests who have commented on the noise, we found they added to the medieval charm of the place and when we were there they did not ring until late into the night. I think if you are going to choose to stay right opposite a cathedral you cant really complain about this type of noise. The location could not have been better being right in the old town square which is the most attractive place to stay in the city. We found the staff very friendly and helpful although the cleaning staff kept some strange hours. We twice returned well after 4.30pm to find them cleaning our room. The room itself was very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and a nice modern bathroom. The only inconvenience was that the bathroom had no door and as it was situated opposite the large windows overlooked by other properties, we felt the need to close the curtains to retain privacy. I dont know why a door wasn't fitted as there seemed to be plenty of room for one. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but the little breakfast room looked clean and cosy. If you are on a budget and want a traditional, friendly hotel with modern amenties this is the one for you. We loved it

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan0301

Reviewed January 26, 2009

I booked this hotel before seeing any reviews of it, and after coming on TripAdvisor, I'll admit I was a bit worried about what to expect...

In the end, we had a lovely stay here. The room was clean and comfortable and had a shower room and toilet. I loved the wooden furnishings and the cool windows and the bed was really comfy. Breakfast was in the morning was good (continental-style - so basically all the cereal, bread, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, cold meat and funny little cakes you can eat). We had a great view of the cathedral and the location was fantastic - right in the city centre. There were plenty of info leaflets in the reception area and the staff were friendly and helpful. I also liked that reception was open 24 hours a day - great if you want to experience Antwerp's nightlife (reportedly the best in Belgium).

However, I can certainly confirm some of the (less positive) things other people have said: the stairs are very steep, definitely not good if you have heavy luggage! I didn't think there was too much noise (except the cathedral bells of course, but they stop by about 9 pm and they're actually quite nice), though my boyfriend said he was woken up by the sound of people in the street outside. And I think it isn't always easy to tell exactly what bathroom facilities your room will have - there are rooms with just sinks, rooms with sinks and showers and rooms with sinks, showers and toilets. I suspect I only got a room with everything because I booked via the hotel's (Dutch-language) website. Also, the bedroom and the shower room didn't have doors on them - fine for solo travellers/couples, but maybe not ideal if you're staying here with friends or relatives!

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back/recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusiQsi
Reviewed July 18, 2008

What a great deal. Friendly service, clean rooms, amazing location, great price. Probably the best beal in my month long visit to Europe. Location is across the street (literally) from the cathedral, and a 50 foot walk to Grote Market. The service was very friendly, and it cost 40 euros. If your looking for luxury accomodation, this is not it, but if you looking for basic clean accomodations in the city center, I don't know how could improve upon Postiljon.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed for one night.We were wondering around looking for a hotel. It is right next door to the Kathedral. We were not bothered by the bells as they stop at 6pm and started the next day at 9am.
The hotel owner let us look at the room first , which was a little on the small side but had an ensuite. The bed was very comfortable and I slept soundly.
Breakfast was very limited and basic but it depends on what you are looking for. The breakfast room was very bright and airy.
Sadly no bar to unwind in after a long day sightseeing.
Wouldn;t recommend a long stay here but 1 or 2 would be fine.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SkegnessSeashell
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I have been backpacking for a year and a half know and this is the most overrated place I have ever stayed. I ended up paying 180 euros for 4 nights for myself only. I had a room on the top floor (no elevator) stairs steeper than and chucrch belltower I have ever climbed. It was a near death experience!! I thought from the website I booked through that it would be ensuite - for that price and there pictures all showed ensuite rooms and the room list just said single, double, triple, and 4 bed rooms. It was quite misleading. The room only had a sink in it - with no soap. Toilet was in the hall - with no sink. There was no shower on the third floor. There was 1 shower on the second floor - the outside door lock was broken so you could not shut the door properly and the shower doors were glass!!! There was 1 shower on the first floor but it was broken due to the fact the shower head was just compleatly gone. So you could not use it. When cleaning the room they only managed to due 2 of the folloing 3 things each day: make bed, change towel, and empty garbage. A bit of a half effort for the price. The free internet they advertise was not working at all during my 5 day \4 night stay. It was very noisy at high - not only from the church but from people drinking and playing loud music. I needed to print some documents for my travels and I ended up going to the Hilton Hotel where they were very nice and pleasant (unlike the front desk at Postiljon) despite the fact that I was not even staying at the Hilton and I went there the day I was leaving Antwerp so I had my big backpack with me and everything, nobody batted an eyelash! If I ever go back to Antwerp I will never stay at Posiljon again and I would not recommend that anyone else does.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank shirley033
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Charming, and a great location, next to the cathedral, but with narrow, steep stairs and no elevator (tough if you have heavy luggage) and you may hear noise from nearby bars or restaurants until
late in the evening (cathedral bells stopped earlier). We paid 75 Euros for a room with shower and bathroom; there were rooms with bathroom in hallway for 70 Euros. Optional breakfast cost 6 Euros per person. Room was small but atmospheric. There was an excellent restaurant, decorated with historical statues and paintings, a couple
of doors down on the corner (name was Katedral Kaffe or something like that) Many other bars and restaurants, and shops very close, and
Metro station for easy access to the central train station, is within
walking distance. There was theoretically Internet for guest use but receptionist did not know the password. If you cannot afford the much fancier Hilton on the other side of the cathedral, you could do worse than this place.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sutter
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This little hotel turned out to be a great find. Clean and modern, right next to Antwerp Cathedral. We booked a room without an ensuite and the shower and toilet were right across from our hotel room in the hallway. Be warned, though, some may not like the noise from passersby, revellers and/or the cathedral bells chiming, but we didn't mind. Also, they used a lot of bottled air fresheners around the room and bathrooms that caused me an allergic reaction. Once I realized this, I closed all of the bottles of freshener and my itchy throat went away.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple