“Interesting but not nearly enough content”

Rubens House (Rubenshuis)
Ranked #7 of 154 things to do in Antwerp
London, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Interesting but not nearly enough content”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I had expected a lot of this so maybe my expectations were too high. Rubenshuis is not a view into how Rubens lived, nor a collection of his paintings, it is more of an exploration of who influenced Rubens works and who he in turn influenced. It almost seems to circle his work and life rather than look directly at it. The guide book that comes with the admission ticket is good but overall it would have been great if more info had been provided. I left with more questions that I came with because the museum only touched very very briefly on the daily life in the Rubens household and also did not go into detail about his art and what he was trying to tell with it. So while the museum was good it was a little too light on real content for me and I wanted more.

• Hebrew first
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Boring ..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Not much interesting .. boring after some time.. the couryard looks beautiful ... suggest to avoide if you are not an art lover and not a ruben fan

Visited May 2013
East Midlands
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

So glad had researched this. All parts were interesting and well presented. The staff were helpful and spoke very good English. The family rooms were well furnished reflecting the time. It also gave you a chance to see the links between some of the painters of the time e.g. Van Dyck was an apprentice of Rubens. The gardens were a peaceful oasis in the city. Closed on Mondays, so some of our party missed this as hadn't realised this.

London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

This beautiful house/museum helps to put Rubens, one of the most gifted artists who ever lived, into the context of his very fascinating life.

Kountze, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Highly recommended in Antwerp!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

When I arrived in Antwerp, I began asking the locals to tell me the must-see places to visit here. Everyone recommended the Rubens House. I'm glad I took the time to see this. I love art, but even more so, I love good architecture and attention to detail. While others photographed the paintings, I photographed the doors, windows, staircases, etc. That's not meant to take anything away from the exquisite paintings, I just happen to love the things many people don't notice. I had already begun shopping for the souvenirs to take home and had to stow them in the lockers provided while I toured the home. This is an absolutely beautiful home and I encourage you to see it.

Visited March 2014