“Familier atmosphere”

Ranked #14 of 154 things to do in Antwerp
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Large, well-defined zoo which houses a variety of species from giraffes to fish.
Antwerp, Belgium
“Familier atmosphere”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Best zoo in the area, very clean and nice atmoshere to be on a sunny day. No interaction with the animals

Visited May 2014

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fun day out”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

There are many variaties of animals at view. And there are lots of things to do for children as well: there's a playground and a restaurant next to all the animals of course!

Visited September 2013
Brussels, Belgium
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Excellent compact zoo in the heart of the city”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had heard a lot of good things about the Antwerp zoo so we decided to visit it on a sunny day. It was a great getaway- its location right next to the train station makes it super convenient and once inside- there was lots of lawns and green patches.

Also a number of cafes, fries and snack joints to keep you going. And the animals were in great shape and well kept. We saw 2 young elephants playing with each other and that was great. Also enjoyed seeing the giraffes and their quarters.

We also loved the bears at the end of the zoo.
Overall its a very well maintained zoo and worth a visit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank gagvirk
Amersham, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Nice little zoo”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have to admit that I don't like inner-city zoos and much prefer zoos where animals can run free; however, I had a lunchtime train and didn't want to stray far from the station so I dumped my suitcase in the station left luggage and couldn't miss the entrance which is immediately to the left of the station. A small tip for others in my situation ... the luggage lockers within the zoo are much cheaper than those in the station. I wish I'd realised the zoo had them. It wasn't cheap to enter but they have a lot of costs - also there's 25% discount with the Citycard.

They have managed the space very well on several levels and there are a lot of animals within a smallish area. There's almost everything you would expect to see - many giraffes, chimps, birds, butterflies, big cats, bears ... and my two favourites which were the beautiful okapis and one of the gorillas who was lying on his back in a basket swing looking very happy and showing off to the watching children. There are also regular opportunities to watch feeding but I didn't risk this as I wanted to see everything before I had to leave. I also noticed quite a few educational features for children.

I was there about 3 hours and managed to see all I wanted (the reptile house would've given me nightmares) without feeling I was rushing but it would have been possible to spend most of the day there had I been able.

Most of the buildings are originals from the 19th century - some are really strange such as the Egyptian Temple where the elephants live. They have an ongoing programme of renovating the oldest parts without destroying them. There are also gardens and sculptures. There are loos and food kiosks dotted round the park, a large children's playground and two restaurants. I had a quick lunch in Restaurant de Flamingo by the gates which was very tasty.

And all the time, you can look up and see trains leaving the station.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank GillB
Yogya
360 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“Great place to visit with kids”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This zoo is a great place to visit with kid.
The location is very close to central station, so it is very reachable.
The zoo is well maintained, and the animal seems to be healthy.
I believe it will be a nice place for picnic as well.
My daughter loves this zoo when we visit it.

Visited April 2014