Hotel Scheldezicht
Hotel Julien(Antwerp)
$197
  • Room Service
$92
Astoria Hotel Antwerp(Antwerp)(Great Value!)
$77
$93
Park Inn
$111
$102
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrote marktoverlooking the squarefloorcentreeuro
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I found the hotel information in Lonely Planet's guide to Belgium; since I'd had good luck with LP's suggestions in the past, I decided to book a room for 2 nights. The main entrance, which doubles as the breakfast room, seemed nice enough so I thought a good decision had been made. I soon found out how wrong I was. The stairwell smelled horrific and was very narrow and treacherous to negotiate with luggage. tomato_7 must have stayed in the same room as we did given the description; we counted at least 30 bloody squashed mosquitoes on the walls and killed about half as many during our stay, mostly the ones that kept us awake during the night. We also had some problems with noisy neighbours and phoned the front desk to register a complaint; a half-hearted attempt was made by the clerk to remedy the situation - he was no doubt annoyed that he was pulled away from his internet surfing. A subsequent call when the problem persisted went unanswered and we had a dreadful sleep as a result. Breakfast was little more than some sliced meat, cheese, day old bread rolls, and stale cereal which tasted of plastic. The only bright spot was that the housekeeper was the only one at the hotel who seemed to have pride in her job and did the best she could given the resources made available to her. We were lucky enough to have our own bathroom (though no shampoo was provided, as is the standard in most hotels) and our linens were refreshed daily.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2007

The photographs on the hotel website look very promising but are in fact very misleading. A group of us recently stayed there for a friends birthday. The hotel is in a great location - this is about the only positive thing about it. Everyone in the group was disappointed by the standard of the hotel. The linen and bathrooms seemed to be fairly clean but overall the hotel was very shabby and neglected. There were lots of mosquitoes squashed on the walls in our room. One of the wall lights was hanging off by the wires and the radiator was hanging off the wall. The stairwell was very dingy and smelt very musty as soon as you walked in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I booked this hotel based on their lovely website, and decided to splurge on a "garden view." The website shows a beautiful boutique-style hotel. What a lie! When my traveling companion and I arrived, we were given the key to room #1. Passing through the musty-smelling lobby, we ascended the stairs to our room, which featured peeling wallpaper above the bed, a window with an enormous crack across the length of it, and the "garden" was a tin roof with cigarette butts strewn about. When I asked for a second room, we were shown to #3, which was almost (but not quite) as bad. I have never felt so cheated by a hotel website. Beware if you book based on the inviting web photos.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank janyb68
Reviewed April 26, 2007

Only stay at this hotel if you don't mind very run-down rooms, and having to go across the hall to use the toilet and share it with two other rooms! When I booked, there was nothing on either the hotel website or on booking.com about the fact that there are no toilets in the room! I feel very mislead by my Eyewitness Guide, and the pictures on the websites. I felt that the hotel was very shabby. The shower and sink are just right there in the room - no bathroom! And my curtains didn't close all the way because some of the rings were broken. Luckily I had a hair clip that held them closed, or the old folks home behind the hotel would have had quite a show., As a woman staying alone in the room, I really don't want to cross a dark hall in the middle of the night. Also, the toilet was pretty dirty by late afternoon, and there was no soap dispenser so that you could wash your hands. You can imagine the bacteria on the door handle. YUCK!

I do have to admit that the sink, shower and linens seemed clean. But the room itself was pretty grim. The people at the desk were also friendly, but the toilet situation and the poor condition of the hotel make me feel compelled to write in order to warn others. I can't imagine that this is a popular hotel. There is nothing charming whatsoever about it.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank kalerik
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Have just spent 3 nights at this hotel - simple but clean with large rooms overlooking the square. Family run - father and sons run the desk and are very friendly and helpful and speak excellent English. Good breakfast with lovely fresh bread in interesting breakfast room. Location is brilliant and within a few minutes walking distance of all parts of the old town. Only warning - the steps are steep (no lift) and might be difficult with large cases. Very good value.

5  Thank Lovetravelling30