“Home Away from Home”

Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Toronto, Canada
“Home Away from Home”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Over the past several years, I have visited Antwerp a number of times and only stay at Hotel Rubens. It is simply the best hotel in Antwerp and Belgium as a whole. The rooms were very comfortable and the service is easily 5 star on every level. From our first stay to our most recent visit, we were greeted by the hotel owner along with the helpful friendly staff. The owner is a perfect balance of courtesy efficiency and charm. What is particularly beneficial is the delightful breakfast every morning and this would keep us well satisfied until dinner time. Unlike any of the other privately owned hotels, Hotel Rubens offers a 24 hour Concierge service which is very useful for late check ins and early departures. The owner spared nothing to to truly make the Rubens our home away from home and i will always be grateful to the staff and the owner for making all our stays a memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kamal c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Before arriving to the hotel, I was anxious to see the rooms because of their affordability location wise. Upon arriving at the hotel reception I was greeted with a fine glass of Porto and had a friendly conversation with a cute receptionist who's name I sadly do not recall. At my greatest surprise the rooms were surprisingly spacious and clean compared to any privately owned hotel in a city center in Europe. The beds were heavenly and there was no noise to complain about.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Globetrotter2605
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel, several things were amiss - the room did not appear as the pictures on the web site (in fact, it was clearly under renovations during my stay - which was even confirmed by the Owner when she tried to point out that the curtains had been installed that day!). Another complication beyond the drab room with outdated furniture was the 5 Euro per hour price of wifi that had been listed on my booking receipt as being included.

I tried to talk to reception about the issues, and they had me speak with the owner, who promptly defended the room and pointed out the fact that it was on a courtyard and had new curtains (none of which addressed what I was hoping to resolve - i.e. wifi set-up or a possible discount for living in a renovation zone). She was so rude to me that I ended up in tears. Later she called me in my room and tried to convince me not to check-out early (as I ended up staying for one night instead of 2), but then continued to chastise me for being rude -- whereas I had simply brought the concerns to the attention of Reception in an attempt to resolve the misunderstanding.

What was really unsettling was that after I had checked into the room and these incidents happened, the hotel owner or staff entered my room to leave me a letter saying they would be charging me an additional 30 Euros for the "one" night of stay since the "two night stay" price had been a promotion. As a lone female traveller, I did not feel safe having someone simply enter my room to do this. A message should have been left on my phone, I believe.

The utter lack of respect solely on behalf of the hotel owner was what ruined this experience. The other staff were lovely. Overall, this hotel is very overpriced based on the decor, comfort, level of customer service, quality of the breakfast and general feeling of comfort/safety (which I felt was lacking in my time there).

Room Tip: For solo travelers, check out the Banks Hotel. Lovely staff, smaller rooms, but nice afternoon snack...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Heather G
amsterdam
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Good location for old town visit, spot on. Tons of shopping and eating in the area. Clubbers will need to cab it, that’s what we did and enjoyed both worlds of Antwerp.

Nice old world feel to this hotel, small room but equipped with all needs. Reception helpful from booking through departure. Parking around corner. Decent breakfast. All in all, for a short stay simply perfect with reasonable rates.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen123Amsterdam
San Diego, CA
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We chose this hotel because we had very limited time in Antwerp (overnight) and wanted to maximize our experience in the old city center without breaking the budget. Not being used to driving in Antwerp we had a difficult time finding the hotel (street names are on sides of buildings vertical from the car and can change by block so it is difficult to get readings, further complicated by one-way streets and narrow streets shared with trolleys), and it became quite funny that when we called for assistance the lovely young woman at the front desk always said "You're almost here! It is very easy from there! Just...." and by that time we would be in some other location entirely, swept along by traffic. It says a lot for the staff that when we finally just gave up and parked the car in a largish square (by the Hilton) and called in frustration, they sent someone to usher us to the hotel, just a few blocks away. Once there, the room had lovely light, a nicely separated toilet room from bath, and a comfortable bed. We also were literally one row of structures behind the Grote Markt, which was just where we wanted to be. We wound up eating dinner at a small restaurant just across the cobble-stone street from the hotel out of exhaustion--and were extremely pleased with the quality of the food and wine. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and varied. This was a perfect choice. (Although the weather was not conducive to outdoor sitting while we were there as it was damp/rainy--the hotel has a really nice small garden.)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LisaSanDiego_CA
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Within minutes from Hotel Rubens, we could walk to a number of great sight-seeing destinations of Antwerp. We even walked to the MAS (the new museum) and it was a pleasant experience. The hotel served a sumptuous breakfast which was included in the room charges. We prepaid and got a discount. It was worth it. The bedroom is of American size. The bed is at least king-size if not even bigger. Our bathroom is separate from the toilet, which occupies a smaller, separate closet. The TV is big, with good reception and many channels. Antwerp is a real city complete with grit, great works of art, and a gleeful desire for renewal which you can sense around this hotel. Take time to walk around the neighborhood. I am happy to have seen Antwerp while staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jameschan6
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The Rubens Hotel is a small central hotel, just a few minutes to the Cathedral. The breakfast was great, whit many kinds of dairy products and bread. The rooms are large and comfortable, whith a wonderful view of the cathedral's tower. The bathroom is clean and has a partial glass on the bathtub that blocks the water to flood outside. The service is very kind. A really good choice.

Room Tip: The room view is terrific! On bed, it's possible to see the cathedral's tower
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family