“Great place on the pricy side”
Review of Roji Sushi

Roji Sushi
Ranked #351 of 1,515 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Hi all!

Yesterday evening my wife and I had a lovely dinner at Roji. We read about the place in a leading culinary magazine and thought we should give it a shot as we're avid supporters of Japanese European fusion cuisine.

First off: the place is absolutely stunning. It's set in a medieval basement which gives it a nice dark cosy atmosphere. There is a beautiful open fire buying which fills this very very trendy spot with the soothing smell of burning wood. This is a place to eat, see and be seen. Very jet-setty with a very chique vibe. I don't mind that as long as the food is good.

As regards the food, did they deliver? They sure did! We had a selection of small dishes to start with (including some tempura squid, the most wonderful spring rolls and great gyoza). The most amazing thing about our starters was the attention to detail when it came to seasoning and the inventively of accompanying sauces. For instance, the gyoza was accompanied by a very special fermented yuzu-infused light soy sauce. When smelling the sauce, it had no appetizing scent, but when combining it with gyoza it was just divine.

My wife had a selection of sushi and sashimi (and some maki) which were all wonderfully prepared. I have to admit that the quality and freshness of the fish was second to none. I followed-up my starters with a nice crusty piece of Kobe beef. The cuisson was absolutely spot on and the meat was accompanied by a sweat-sticky soy dressing and pomegranate.

The food was absolutely great. A few minor points, though. The service was very friendly but you sort of felt that the waiting gang was understaffed to deal with the amount of folk needing serving. The biggest drawback (and it shouldn't really impair on the faulty of this place but rather operate as a small warning) are the prices. I find 46 EUR for a mix of sushi and sashimi well overpriced. So is 49 EUR for a not too large piece of Kobe beef. While I had enough meat soothe my appetite, I am no big eater at all.

So all in all I think this is a great place to go for a romantic dinner or a chique night out with the friends but take your wallet!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is by far the most stylish Sushi place I know, beats very noisy Nobu in New York. The service too is excellent and friendly without being annoying. We had two delicious sushi selections of the chef, nearly as good as the best New York sushi. Great experience!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love the interior of the restaurant. Really something great to do in autumn or winter when you can't sit on one of the many terraces in Antwerp. There is a fireplace in the basement witch makes it really cozy inside.
I never can decide if I want sushi for main course or not (I like my main course warm), So I always take the menu here. You get a taste of everything (sushi, meat, warm fish) at a reasonable price and don't leave with an empty stomach (5 courses).

Tip: Try one of their delicious cocktails!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The cave, the fireplace, the Axel Vervoort interior design, the wooden furniture, the friendly service, the exquisite fresh sushi... it is a classy though cosy experience, highly reccomended for intimate evenings with plenty of time to spend.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I visited this place on a recommendation from a friend. It took me a few minutes to find it, as it's located in the cellar with a very small sign. Once you enter, it's a beautiful and romantic atmosphere. We were encouraged to have a cocktail by the fireplace, which we enjoyed. But the service quickly began to rush us and we didn't realize why...but everything in Belgium closes on the early side, and Belgians like to eat early. We had hoped for the tasting menu, but enjoyed our various options. Other than the rushed service and pressure to finish our dinner, it was a very memorable dining experience. I look forward to trying it again when I'm in Antwerp.