“500 pax sit down diner: superb”

Hilton Antwerp Old Town
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Groningen
“500 pax sit down diner: superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Last Friday I was in the Hilton Antwerp for the TM Travel awards. Coming from a hospitality back ground myself (I even worked in the hotels for big banketing parties like this) I was amazed by the quality of the food, wines and service. All the plates were warm, even the smoked duckbreast with duck liver was cooked just right. To do that for 500 plates is just plain amazing. Also the people waiting the table were very sharp on pouring wine, maybe a bit too sharp for my neighbor who had to drive. ;)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear WHBlok,

Thank you very much for posting your very complimentary review. I was in attendance at the function, and am very proud of how my team handled the event. It is very heartening to read that a guest such as yourself recognised the way the event was handled, and that you enjoyed it so much. To be honest, it was actually 740 guests, and I, again, am so glad that you found the evening to be such a superb event, and that you have chosen to share your experience here on Trip Advisor. I have shared your comments with the Executive Chef and his team as well as with my Banqueting Team.

Once again, a big thank you for your super comments, and we all hope to be able to welcome you again to the Hilton Antwerp in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mandal, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Benn ther once, and this is a hotel you take your love once and stay ther for4 the weekend. Antwerpen is a very nice city and the location and the quality on this hotel is topp of the line, but you will pay for it.
Service is just exellent, and the smoking room I got, was some of the biggest i have ever got in my life. And the staff is trying it's best for you, don't forget to tip them, they deserve it.
Saty here once and it think you will come back, if you can afford it ( 256 Euro for one night)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Johnny_Norway,

Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel that you have shared with fellow travellers here on Trip Advisor. I am really very pleased that you enjoyed our hotel so much, and we all look forward to welcome you back in the very near futre. Be sure to always check Hilton.com for the best possible rates, and always try to book early to secure the best deal. Thank you again, and safe travels!
Venlo, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed 1 night in Hilton in Antwerpen. We were with 12 friends and had 6 big and nice rooms. The service was really good. Our wishes were completed and our stay in Hilton nice. In-check was fast, out-check even faster. The breakfast was really nice and staff helpfull. The style of the hotel is not modern so if you like the stright modern lines you will not find them there.The disadvantage is WiFi that costs 15 euro per 24 hours. But we were very suprised to discover that at some bars just next to Hilton wireless internet is totally for free!If you are by car put Eiermarkt 1 in your GPS and you will rich the Groenplaats parking of Hilton without any problems. If again in Antwerpen we will stay in Hilton as well.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear GLaslo,

Just a note to say thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience of your recent stay with us at the Hilton Antwerp on Trip Advisor. It was great to read how much you enjoyed your stay, and I greatly appreciate you adding your tip regarding the GPS coordinates to find the parking beneath our hotel. We are happy you enjoyed our classical design and decor, our unsurpassed location, and our super Hilton Breakfast. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to our great city.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Just staying for one night at the Antwerp Hilton, I can only recommend this beautiful hotel located in the centre of Antwerp.
Staff is extremely friendly, rooms are very comfortable!

• Stayed November 2011
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear andreGeneva,

What a fantastic review!
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and share them with fellow travellers. I must say I was very pleased to see your very complimentary remarks, and have been certain to share these with my team. Many thanks again, and we all hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Antwerp again in the near future.
Kortenberg, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

We went for a shopping & dinner - trip to Antwerp and stayed at this superb Hilton "empire" building. What I appreciated very much was the welcome mail you receive in advance in which the reception manager offers his services and help at any time.
Very friendly personnel as well.
The decor is indeed a little old, but the rooms are very comfortable as expected in a Hilton.
We stayed one night with a promotional price, which was very interesting.
The hotel is located just near the shopping centre and the nightlife centre behind the cathedral.
Breakfast is complete and very nicely served in the orangerie with a nice view on the Groenplaats.
One negative point is the street noise unfortunately.

Room Tip: Preferably not at the street-wing, better on the Groenplaats wing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear LaurentBelgium,

Just wanted to say thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at the Hilton Antwerp. It is always our entire team's endeavour to satisfy each and every guest at the Hilton Antwerp. I have shared your very complimentary remarks with my team.
Once again, many thanks for your review, and we all look forward to being able to welcome you to the Hilton Antwerp again sometime soon.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my partner. The location is very good and central to all the bars and restaurants. I was on the executive floor and got an upgrade due to my Hilton Honors status so it looked like the room had been restyled fairly recently compared to the rest of the hotel. I also didn't need to pay for the wifi, which is also a great Hilton loyalty perk. I found the staff in the exec lounge very helpful, unfortunately the staff at the front desk on the 2 times I approached them were a little abrupt and didn't really seem interested in helping me!

So while the hotel is in a great location as has everything you would except, it is generally looking tired and dated. I appreciate that refurbing a hotel is a major investment, but unfortunately this particular Hilton is not quite up to the standard of other Hiltons I have stayed in recently. The decor is about 15 years old and it's starting to show as are the lifts which also seem dated.

I would recommend this hotel based on the location but aside from that I would have been disappointed had I paid full rack rate for the overall quality of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an executive room if they have one
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear angeleeci,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding our hotel with fellow travellers.
I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our Executive floor Hostesses. Our Executive floor is unique in Antwerp and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the time you spend in our Executive Lounge.

I take note of your comments regarding our Front Desk staff. Your comments have been shared with our Front Desk Manager and appropriate action has been taken in order to improve.

Our hotel is housed in a building that dates back to 1864. Whilst the hotel was built within the building in 1993 and has been completely renovated in 2000 and again in 2009, we maintain a classical decor in keeping with the historic value of the building

Thank you very much again, and all the best in your future travels.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I think it's strange they are charging 15 euros ($20) for access to the internet. One would think a premium property should have this included. Also, the staff were less than helpful: the person at the reception desk didn't know anything about restaurants or clubs. The gym closes very early, so it's not very convenient. Lastly, I called in advance to request an early check-in and they didn't accomodate. Overall experience: sub-par.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear John S,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Antwerp.

Please rest assured your comments have been shared with all the team members involved, and corrective action has been taken with reference to our reception staff in order to avoid a similar situation from occurring again.

In respect of the waiting time you experienced, please allow me to clarify. Our check out time is noon and check in time is 2 pm. A room can be assigned to a guest before 2 pm only if the hotel didn't experience a full house the previous night. Alternatively, Hilton Antwerp offers the possibility of a 'guaranteed' check in before 2 pm, regardless of a full house the previous night, if the guest actually books and pays for the previous night. When the guest arrives very early and before 2 pm, the room is 'guaranteed' ready.

In view of free internet access, we can confirm that Hilton Worldwide is offering free internet to all its Gold and Diamond Hilton HHonors guests.

Again many thanks for your comments and looking forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Antwerp and showing that we can do better to re-establish your faith in our hotel.