“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

It is a pleasure when you are lost for words when trying to write a review simply because everything about the hotel experience was positive and there is really nothing to comment on. However, I guess that you do want to know a bit more about why the experience was so positive, so here are a few pointers. The location of the hotel in the beautiful city of Antwerp is just perfect. Hotels in cities that are located next to the main train station are generally disappointing due to generally seedy nature of the area, but not in this case. The unobstruted view from the hotel rooms of the beautiful Antwerp Central Station building and the neatly open square clearly buck this trend. The interior condition of the hotel is still very good and the rooms are roomy, comfortable and clean. The service in the hotel is very good and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very good. The breakfast served in a special breakfast room is quite substantial, of excellent quality and fresh. What else can I say?

Room Tip: Try and get a room that overlooks the beautiful Central Station building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rimini, Italy
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I would like to positively review all the aspects of my stay at Radisson Astrid Antwerp: the excellent position just in front of the awesome Antwerp train station (the next time I must remember to ask a view on the square), the very nice hotel room - and bathroom - where nothing was missing or awkward, the professional friendliness of the girls and guys at the reception, and the very nice rate I was able to get through Booking.com.

But my review I would be misleading if I didn't point out that one thing stands above all and it alone is worth the well deserved 4 stars of the review: after a day on the streets of a surprisingly interesting, vibrant and artsy Antwerp (don't miss the MAS!), the availability of a health center with sauna, steambath, jacuzzi and a swimming pool where you can almost swim is really the final twist that crowns your day. Bliss.

The staff did their best to overcome the problems due to the renovation of the first floor (though a better management of bathrobes and towels distribution in the SPA could ease the weight on the staff, and on customers). That, and a room view on the square might have granted the fifth star: maybe the next time :)

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the main square, if available.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luca V
somewhere in Germany
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Our stay in this hotel definitely had some things to recommend it, as well as a few things that could improve. First of all, the restaurant and breakfast room look directly to the Central Station, a wonderful building. For families, the location just steps to the Zoo and Aquatopia were a big plus. We visited both and felt that the collections in both were well worth seeing. It was fun to go to the Starbucks and a special exhibit in Central Station, then continue through to the more upscale shopping district on the other side of the station. The Station and Zoo both boast incredible architecture. Though the hotel neighborhood was not quite as nice as on the other side of the station, we felt perfectly safe. Our room was quite modern and large, and we slept well on the comfortable beds. The room had a safe as well. The sink and tub didn't drain easily, but it wasn't a big problem as long as we had time between each bath. The shower had good water pressure and temperature, but the basin didn't drain fast enough and some water ended up on the bathroom floor. These were not huge problems, but perhaps took away a little bit from the luxury feel of the well decorated room. As for service, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The bar was very good, but the restaurant was variable. The Saturday evening Oriental buffet was very good,
well presented and well priced. When I ordered off of the menu on another evening, however, the dish seemed to be missing half the ingredients that were listed on the menu. As it was vegetarian, I was looking forward to each element of the dish and wondered about the skill of the chef...was he a substitute, perhaps, that didn't know the menu, or did someone forget to stock all of the ingredients? The breakfast offering was huge, but the eggs tasted like they were made from a powdered mix and the hot water was out when I tried to get tea. When I asked one of the breakfast workers for hot water, he said, 'Just get hot water from the coffee machine'. I was forced to tell him that the coffee machine looked like it hadn't been wiped down for days, and come to think of it, the floor behind the bar seemed to have the same problem. To be fair, there was a lot of foot traffic, but some of the lack of cleanliness seemed to be carried from one day to the next. The variety of food, in any case, was very impressive. The heated pool and large variety of excercise equipment was very nice, but not handicapped accessible. I counted 28 steps from the lobby to the pool. I was told that renovation is to commence in the near future. For healthy people, the facilities should be fine. I tried to organize a massage, but the massage person was not available, though I was asking 24 hours in advance. In the final analysis, I can recommend this hotel, though at a little lower price, at least until the renovations catch up to what is offered in the brochure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Central Satation.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank experiencednomad
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I personally didn't like the surrounding area of this hotel and would have preferred to have been closer to the Grote Markt. It was in far too busy an area on a busy road with cars and trams and there was no way to stop your car to unload your luggage which meant you had to enter the hotel car park. Car parking is £19 or €19 (can't remember currency) per night which is pretty steep and also the breakfast is quite expensive at €23 (which I can't comment on as I didn't have it). However, I did have a comfortable stay here with a lovely big comfortable bed, a spacious, modern and clean room, nice bathroom etc - everything you would expect from a Radisson 4*. Just a shame about the location for me. Plenty of trams to hop on though and convenient for train station.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I spent New Year's Eve here. I had made an advanced booking for a standard room without breakfast, so I inquired about the breakfast rates at check-in. I was pleased when I was offered an upgrade to a business class room inclusive of breakfast for two for only EUR 30, when breakfast usually costs EUR 22 per person. We were also allowed a late checkout at 6 p.m. with no extra charge, although we had to have our keycards reactivated as we could not re-enter the room when we stepped out the following day. I unfortunately was unable to take note of the name of the friendly lady who conducted the check-in, and I discovered upon check-out that there was some confusion in the system regarding the upgrade. The system reflected my EUR 30 payment as only a deposit for the EUR 55 upgrade fee. I explained upon checkout that the upgrade included breakfast, as I had in fact been offered an upgrade for EUR 50 via email prior to my arrival and I refused. The checkout staff remarked this was "unusual" but fortunately did not insist that I pay more than I did. In addition, it was only by virtue of having read previous reviews here on Trip Advisor that I became aware that pay-per-view was free in a business class room. This was otherwise not explained by the check-in staff and on the hotel web site's description of business class rooms. I was therefore able to take advantage of this.

My wife and I were very pleased with the huge business class room (denominated as a "junior suite" on the door). I requested a quiet room, so we were given a room on the top (8th) floor with a beautiful view of the city (rather than the station) through the unique round windows. There is a Nespresso machine included in business class rooms although it appears to be an older model using pads rather than the more current models which use pods. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows were rather lumpy and could be firmer. We were also not provided bathrobes and slippers. I called twice with a 15-minute interval between the two calls, and waited 45 minutes more, but none were ever brought to the room. I also understand that we should have been provided a newspaper, but we never received any. The flatscreen TV in the room is a first-generation model and a far cry from current 720p and 1080p models. Channel reception was poor, with BBC World being worse than a channel received through the "rabbit ear" antennas of the 80s. The hotel in general was tastefully furnished but clearly worn in many places, such as the carpets lining stairs. It is in evident need of renovation.

Breakfast was great, particularly with the rate I got. I would not have paid EUR 22 per person though. The breakfast room had a spectacular view of the station and the Koningin Astridplein in front of it, and the extensive selection was quite tasty. The quality of the cappuccino from the machine was very poor, though, as it tasted as if it were extremely watered-down. Being New Year's Day, breakfast was served until 11:30 a.m., which allowed us to recover from the festivities the night before and spared us having to look for a restaurant open for lunch when much of the city was dead.

The pool and gym were nice, but the way there was rather convoluted, requiring guests to walk through the hotel restaurant and go through several doors and flights of stairs.

Parking was very convenient, as there was a lift that led directly to the hotel lobby. Spaces were limited, however, and some spaces require you to double-park, necessitating that you leave your car key with the reception.

The location of the hotel is excellent, particularly when arriving by train.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel despite the confusion regarding the room upgrade, the non-delivery of requested bathrobes and slippers, and the worn look of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you park in the hotel garage, be sure to use the exit for big cars if driving anything bigger tha...
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have spent 2 nights in this hotel and the location is perfect, just opposite the main railway station. The receptionists and especially the concierge have been very nice and friendly. The room was very quiet and ok, but not very tidy. The frame of the bed was full of dust, even the table looked liked it was never really cleaned with a wet towel. Sitting on the toilet you could see the dirt on the bathroom phone, standing in front of the mirror the same occurred for the hair dryer. I felt uncomfortable and did not want to think about the carpet and corners ...
The beds were really good, the bathroom in general ok with very low water pressure in the shower (water saving?). Some cracks were visible on the lower wall, it had the ambiance of not being well maintained.The building must have been modern and fashionable in the 80s, but in general it feels narrow and dark.
The Park Inn just 200 meters away looked much more modern and with a simple and clear architecture although being 3-stars only.
And if I am asked by the receptionist upon checking-out if everything was fine and I answer "well, okay", I actually expect to be asked why only okay, but this was of no interest, just a standard question. In general, I have had better experiences with other Radisson Blu Hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms to the court are quiet.
1 Thank jjsometimes
djansen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear jjsometimes
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear you found the hotel well located and that our staff showed their “Yes I Can” spirit. I do however apologize for the issues in your room. If you could let us know which room you have stayed in, I will make sure to pass this feedback to our technical and housekeeping department so that this can be handled.

Kind regards
Dieter Acke
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Right opposite the central station, so very convenient when visiting Antwerp by train. A bit noisy tho, since it's next to a tram track. Good pool, sauna and steam room. A bit hard to find. There are lockers, but you have to get locks first at the reception. And if you don't know that beforehand, you just end up not locking your things up.
Very good bed, also a sturdy baby bed.
The heating is a big letdown, it's a heating/cooling system, so very noisy. Had to turn it off for the night.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear KriBru
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am however sorry for the small issue concerning the lock. I hope we can welcome you back soon in Antwerp.

Kind regards