“disappointed”
Review of Hotel Hyllit

Hotel Hyllit
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed May 9, 2013

we stayed here for 2 nights in mid April during a 2 week driving tour of NL, B, F , Lux and GER. We had booked a "senior suite" with the understanding it was an upgrade to their junior suite. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was completely indifferent to our arrival. The adjacent "private" parking ( 26 euros / night) was at best awkward and required 2 separate elevators and a walk outside to enter the hotel lobby. Once we finally made it to the room, my only remark would be " Motel 6". This is NOT a 3 star much less 4 / 5 star hotel they bill themselves as. The bedding was absolutely horrible and the pillows were walmart grade foam rubber. The toiletries consisted of saran wrapped plastic cups, miniscule bars of soap, hand towel sized bath towels and terrible water flow. The room was supposed to consist of a separate bedroom , living room and sitting area. It appears the room had been built as some sort of hospitality suite then converted into a guest room. While it was indeed quite large, probably 30sm, the wall between the bedroom and living room did not got all the way to the ceiling, rather it stopped 2 feet short, allowing direct sound path between the rooms and negating any alleged "2 room" suite. The furnishings in the living room were the most sparse i have ever encountered : 2 miniature loveseat barely large enough for 2 people to site, and a small glass coffee table! The cavernous space resulted in echoes throughout the room from the tv or any attempt at conversation. This place is a disaster, do NOT stay here if you want a decent night's sleep or a decent shower.

The location is nice , but there are plenty of legitimate 4 / 5 star hotels at less $$ than this dump.

Room Tip: a different hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elslappo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hyllit

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Good hotel, central location, staff very courteous and helpful, thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Excellent choices for breakfast, food well presented. Nice bar area for pre-dinner drinks. Good for both business and tourists.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night for an event also being held at the hotel.
The meeting rooms were of a good professional standard, restocked with water, coffee, etc..
The bedrooms are a typical 4* standard. Good bathrooms, comfy beds.
Buffet breakfast was of a good standard. They do need to work on their coffee though.
The hotel is in a nice location, close to the diamond district, the main station, as well as close to the zoo.
Whenever I am in Antwerp I will consider returning to this hotel.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I probably misread the booking website (was it booking.com or another?) but this hotel was VERY nice and far better than I expected. It is brand new and only 150m away from the Antwerp main rail station. Dont panic though, I didnt hear a single train... My room was enormous, bathroom great, breakfast fine. I would have rated breakfast higher if there had been Earl Grey tea bags and if the bacon had been crispy. Once I got used to having to take a lift to go out to the street (The hotel starts on the first floor level) it was great!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I didn't know Antwerp at all and wasn't sure how to find the hotel when I got there - the staff were perfectly happy to send directions by email when I was en route. I arrived and in spite of a number of comments on this page I found the receptionist to be perfectly friendly, helpful and determined not to let me go to my room without clear information on getting onto the WiFi.

The room was spacious, comfortable and quiet, and there was a good choice for breakfast. I will review the restaurant for dinner separately, suffice it to say I'd happily recommend it to anyone who likes good food and service.

A slightly confusing layout and the morning receptionist's (genuine) error in directing me to my meeting - almost sent me in completely the wrong direction had I not double checked, plus the lack of coffee making facilities in the room, nudge this down to a four rather than five star experience for me. I'd happily go again.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have experienced three nights at the Hyllit, Antwerp. We spent our nights in their family room, which was a great size with seperate sleeping areas for parents and kids(our kids are 16 and 17 years old), and still had an area for siting and hanging out together. The room was cleaned well, and the staff were quick to help and very pleasant to deal with. The hotel Hyllit is in a great spot to explore Antwerp and all it has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hyllit as part of a conference group, but rather wished I'd opted for the Radisson Blu Astrid just down the road. When I stayed there were heavy roadworks going on, and it was difficult to get to the entrance having walked up from Central Station -- but that's not the hotel's fault. The conference facilities seemed fine, but my room was disappointing and it took three days to get someone to put a lightbulb in the bathroom. The towels were astonishingly small, and the bathroom was pretty grubby throughout my stay (perhaps the cleaners couldn't see what they were doing with no light in there). The hotel had a confusing set of lifts, with one to take you to reception, and another to take you to the rooms. I ate one lunch in a restaurant which, although in the same building, was accessed through a separate entrance. All in all, it was rather an odd layout. The staff weren't terribly helpful and I almost felt embarrassed having repeatedly to ask for another day's wifi, which involved trekking down to reception and joining a queue. The worst aspect was getting bitten by mosquitoes, and the noise from the gulls or terns wasn't much fun as they congregated on the ledge outside my window as soon as it got light, and carried on with their jabbering all day. Perhaps I was unlucky. On the plus side, the cakes and biscuits which we were available during the conference breaks were absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
wspaenjers, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Hyllit, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for your comment.
We sincerely apologize that you had to wait three days before somebody changed the light in your bathroom. We will discuss this with our staff and make sure this will not happen again.
It is true that you have to take separate elevators to go to the reception or to go the rooms. As we explained in other responses, this is only for your own safety, that only hotel guests can go to the rooms.
We appreciate your comment about the internet access, and we would like to inform you that we have updated our WIFI system. All our guests can now login with their room number and last name and keep the same login throughout their stay.
As for the mosquitoes or the noise from the gulls, unfortunately we can not control the nature. We are happy to hear that you did enjoy.