“Nice room, annoying internet” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Hyllit

Hotel Hyllit
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
ny
“Nice room, annoying internet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed there for well over 30 nights over the course of the last year. The hotel is clean and adequate. It is located in the Diamond District next to Central Station and the Meir so it is very convenient. If you have a high floor chances are you will have a nice view. The internet is a pain though. It doesn't always run well and you have to get a new code every 24 hours which is annoying if you are staying there for business purposes and you need to work. The pool is nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
geneva
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip last week.. We had to wait 15-20 mins to check in as only one person was on the reception desk during the holiday peak period. Room was nice enough however the shower had no hot water.. I also thought a bottle of water could at least be included in the room in a 4 star hotel.. The double bed wasnt particularly comfortable as it had 2 single matresses so I kept falling down the middle. Breakfeast in the hotel costs 20 euros and is pretty poor.. I would recommend strolling out and finding a cafe for half that price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FW21Geneva
Oulu, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent 2 nights in Hyllit in July. I booked this hotel because my friends were staying there. I was a bit surprised that they don't have any single rooms, so I had to pay for a double room although there was only me. So the hotel was a bit pricy, but I was happy with my stay.

To me sleep quality is very important and this hotel can absolutely provide a quiet night! It was so quiet that I thought that the hotel had only few guests, but when I went for a late breakfast on Sunday at 10.30, half an hour before it closed, the breakfast room was packed with people. The room was so crowded that I had to clean my own table and things were running out from the breakfast buffet.

The minus side of having a quiet room was that the room had no view at all. I had to keep the curtains closed because the windows of opposite offices were so close.

The room was clean and comfortable. Nice toiletries and clean shower area. AC was really efficient and I think it stayed on even when I was not in the room. Wifi was free and very fast, this was a pleasant surprise.

The gym seemed to be well equipped. I didn't use the pool, there seemed to be a lot of noise and children having fun. On Saturday evening I tried to have a dinner in the restaurant on the 6th floor, but it was fully booked. However, it looked really stylish, so I should have made a reservation beforehand.

I had only positive experienced with the reception staff. They were very helpful when i asked for advice on using the tram, etc.

So I recommend this hotel if you are willing to pay the extra euros to enjoy a well-kept hotel.

Room Tip: 330 had no view, but it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Nicely furbished, great breakfast, convenient location for shopping and rail station.

• Stayed July 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Very close to the train station and in the heart of the diamond district, the right time makes this a dynamic city hotel. We arrived by train in the evening (7.30pm) from Brussels. One wrong turning led to some very dodgy side streets and shuttered buildings. Had we got it right, we would have been wowed! Current roadworks don't help the ambience this month. Take sturdy shoes.

Hotel staff brusque and unhelpful (maybe in contrast to a week in southern Italy prior) Booked into a twin bed junior suite in error (after opting for the extra space and asking for a double bed) and told it could not be fixed - they would make up the beds as a double the next day (but housekeeping had gone and it could not be fixed that night) Asked to downgrade to a double room but was refused.

Our room was quite minimalist with stripy carpet - clearly set for a businessman running meeting in the room with a cubicled-off dark, small sleeping area.

The room was non-smoking but the whole floor smelt of smoke (outside the room) Smoking is quite prevalent here in outdoor restaurants and in the street so this may be the same citywide.

Restaurant is excellent with an extensive Italian menu and wine list we had a wonderful romantic meal there with perfect attentive service. It took a while to find as it is accessed from a separate street entrance. Breakfast (a separate buffet restaurant) is very good.

Room Tip: Avoid junior suites unless you are on business and need what is essentially a small conference room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Hotel Hyllit, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear BarnNZ,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.com.

I am truly sorry your experience at Hyllit Hotel did not fully met your expectations. I have brought this issue to the attention of our front desk. One of Hyllit Hotel's objectives is to deliver an excellent service to keep our guests satisfied, each day of the year. And we want you to return.
Some Junior Suites are indeed business-like, however Hyllit Hotel offers a wide variety of rooms: 150 standard rooms and 50 suites.

Road works on one of Antwerp's main streets are almost finished and it will become again the most prestigious boulevard in the city. Hyllit Hotel remains easy accessible by car or by train, at 150m from the central station. Up to date indications can be found at our website.

Good to read that you enjoyed dining in our roof-top restaurant. It is one of Antwerp's best Mediterranean restaurants. Our rich breakfast buffet is highly appreciated by our hotel guests and I am happy to hear you did also.

The Hyllit team hopes to welcoming you again during your next visit in Antwerp.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here 2 times in april 2012,during my first stay,i stayed in junior suite,on my second stay,i stayed in executive (or was it standard?) room? The purpose of my first stay was holiday and sightseeing,the purposeof my 2nd stay is business

The decor of the junior suite feels so old,and the extra space is being wasted because of the separator between the actual sleeping quarter with the living quarter,the bathroom felt like a hostel,the safe in my junior suite was not working during my entire stay

The other room is better (in my opinion) because it felt roomier and more modern,however there is no ot water kettle in this room,I had to ask for it from the front desk,

The location of this hotel is great,around 5-10 minutes walking from the centraal station (there is construction going on when i was there),it is close to the meir,and the diamond district as well. I also have to mention,even though there is constuction works going on right in front of the station,the noise did not reach the room,so i had a real pleasant sleep

For those who has never been to this hotel,the lobby is located on the second floor,the lobby is luxurious,the front desk staff is also helpful. The breakfast is plentiful,lots of things to choose,there are around 10 or more kinds of tea,lots of breads,pastries,cereal,cold cut ham and hot meals. I read lots of people having problem with the keycard reader on the lift,I experienced it once when the lift already moving,it cannot read the keycard,you have to wait until the lift stops

The wifi is a bit impractical,i have to reenter the password everytime i want to use the internet,but the internet is fast. I cannot comment on the business centre and the gym since i did not use these facilities. The laundry bag was only given once during my each stay there

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank synequano
wspaenjers, General Manager at Hotel Hyllit, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear synequano

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your fellow travelers. I am happy to know you where satisfied with both stays at the Hyllit Hotel.

The sleeping area in our Junior Suites is screened-off by a 3/4-height wall from the living area to increase comfort and to give business guests the possibility to hold small meetings in their room and keep their personal belongings private. In June 2010 the Hyllit Hotel expanded to 200 rooms and the existing infrastructure has been fully renovated. I understand however you would prefer the newly build standard rooms, they are also stylish and they correspond more to the expectations of a hotel room. In our standard rooms, coffee and tea facilities are available on request.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience with the internet access code. We are reviewing this system to make login more practical. Wi-Fi is indeed fast and free and available in all rooms, public areas and meeting rooms.
We understood from your feedback and the input of other guests that the issues with the key card readers in the elevators had to be solved. We are now updating this system in order to assure smooth access to the elevator readers. One of our goals is to offer the perfect balance between hospitality and security.

Improvement works on one of Antwerp's main streets are almost finished and I can assure you: the result will be amazing! Despite the works, Hyllit Hotel is still easy to reach at 150m from the Antwerp central station and for travelers arriving by car: you don't need to pass through the works to get to our parking. Also good to hear you could enjoy the silence in the sound proof rooms. We choose for quality materials!

I am glad you liked our extensive breakfast buffet. Our staff is so dedicated and they make the best home made spreads.

The Hyllit team looks forward to welcoming you again!
Geraardsbergen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Beautifull lobby, in the shopping center of Antwerp.
The rooms are ok but a bit overrated in price. Breakfast is very good and they have a very stylish bar although most of the time there are not many people sitting over there because of the nearby bars in the streets around the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dirkvd

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.com. The Hyllit Hotel has been fully renovated in June 2010 and expanded in the same period to 200 rooms: new lobby, new Emerald Cocktail & Wine Lounge bar, new breakfast restaurant, new & renovated rooms, renovated health & leisure center. And if you are looking for good deals for a night or a weekend in Antwerp, you are most welcome to call or mail the Hyllit Hotel.

The Hyllit team looks forward to welcoming you during your next visit to beautiful Antwerp!