“OK for Belgium”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed September 12, 2007

As a consultant I am traveling quite a lot and spend more nights in a hotel than beeing home.
My current project is located in Antwerp. The first hotel I tested was the Crowne Plaza.
1.) Location:
The Crowne Plaza is located a little bit outside of Antwerp, directly next to the city ring.
2.) Parking:
There is a parking available, it's located next to the entrance. The parking fee was 10Euro for an overnight stay.
3.) Rate:
I booked a standard room on the day of arrival for 145€ (it's cheaper booking more in advance, of course)
4.) Arrival, Staff:
For BeNeLux Hotels, the Entrance Hall makes a good impression.I arrived pretty late in the hotel and still the reception staff was friendly. After all formalities had been settled, I missed a short introduction to the hotel. I was just told where the elevator was, nothing more.
5.) Room:
The room keys are keycards with a magnetic stripe you need to swipe through a reader to unlock the door. It worked fine for me, but some of the people on the same floor had to try several times to open the door.
The inerior of the room was clean but old fashioned. The TV had an approprieate size but my remote was already broken.
Bathroom was ok, but as often in old hotels, there was no separate Shower cabin. The bath tub had a curtain around for showering. That is one thing I really don't like, as those cutrains most of the time look ugly with some nasty mildew on it. The one in my room did not make an exception... :-(
The Minibar was an electronically monitored one, so don't try to play around with the stuff in it, it get's immediatelly charged to your bill. The prices have been pretty expensive, unfortunately I didn't write them down.
6.) Internet:
I often use Internet to keep in touch with all my friends in the evenings. Therefore I regard a working Internet connection as a very important feature in a hotel.
WiFi was not working in my room, it seemed, that I was too far away from access point. There was also a cat 5 cable available to go online. That worked well, but pretty slow. A very ridiculous fact was the price. They asked 25€ for a full day and 5€ for an hour. Nowadays I think this is not adequate anymore
7.) Food:
I just stayed 2 nights in the hotel and always arrived at the hotel pretty late. Therefore I had a Club Sandwich in the Bar the first night. The Restaurant was closed already so that was the only choice. The sandwich together with a Coke Light was 14€ The waiter this night was pretty ingnorring and unfriendly. The next day I was reading through the hotel description provided in a folder in my room and found a room service menu with a nice spaghetti Bolognese for 12€ plus 6€ room service fee.
As I hate to eat on the room, I decided to go downstairs to the restaurant and ask for the spaghetti. Unfortunately I got to know, that the room service menu is not available for sale anywhere else than the room. I think that is pretty strange. I ended up with a Hamburger in the bar again with a coke light for 16€
8.) Overall:
For a short stay ok, Internet is far too expensive. Staff could be much friendlier, especially in the bar.
Not a hotel I would recommend to a friend... I will search further

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed January 1, 2007

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of a week-long coach trip through Bavaria with Leger Holidays. The room allocated to us on our inbound journey was very nice - comfortable, well-kept, clean and had clearly had a proper house-keeping check - and was on the sixth floor. However, we stayed at the same hotel on the way back and were allocated a second fllor room. It was AWFUL. It was much, much smaller than the previous room we'd had, had clearly not been occupied for some time, and was in dire need of a wash and brush-up. Deeply disappointing aspects include: only one (very inadequate) pillow each provided; un-hoovered, rather grotty looking carpet and a large dirty smudge on the skirting board; a 'complimentary' bottle of water so ancient that when poured out, a limescale ring was visible around in the inside of the bottle (and no bottle-opener was provided, either); some of the complimentary bathroom freebies were missing; incessant traffic noise from the motorway only feet away from the hotel (highlighting the need for improved double-glazing); similarly incessant interruption to sleep caused by every possible plumbing noise intruding from adjoining/upstairs/downstairs rooms - when the loo was flushed elsewhere, the noise was unbelievable!....And God help you if a neighbour has a shower...If you stay here, insist on a higher floor and an acceptably clean and quiet room.

• Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank llamafarm
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I stayed at the CP for business meetings (mainly because the Radisson was full). I was happy to fly home.

The hotel is next to the highway, it's loud even with a high floor and on the other side of the building. It's not close to the city center. The rooms are oldish and more or less clean. Somebody screwed up and I ended up with a smoking room, the hotel was full, so was stuck in it for one night....

The staff at the front desk was helpful, the bar is not special but we enjoyed the atmosphere as it was during the soccer world cup.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nico_ch
Reviewed May 8, 2006

My wife and I with two friends stayed at this hotel on Tuesday 2nd May 2006 for one night,
we were all impressed by the professional and efficient staff at this hotel, nothing was to much trouble for them, the rooms were very clean and big enough for a short stay, if we stay longer next time! we would go for a larger room, there is a swimming pool and fitness centre at the hotel, but as we only had one night we did not use these, there is a very large car park that costs extra but outside the hotel is free parking, we would recomend this hotel and the staff in perticular very highly

2  Thank Trevor O
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I've ended up at this place just a handful of times, but after my last stay, enough is enough. Never again. This generic tower hotel overlooks two different busy roads on two different sides. Let's see, that means a 50% chance of being lulled to sleep by the relentless parade of heavy trucks serving the massive Antwerp port. Maybe there really are two panes of thick glass between one's bed and The Open Road, but it's not enough. It's like sleeping in a bus. Only adding to this mediocre state of affairs is the fact that Antwerp is one of the most charming big cities in this part of Europe! I like to keep my reviews constructive and positive... I can't find anything to praise about this place. In this humble reviewer's opinion, staying here instead of in the city somewhere (anywhere!) is just a shame.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank thielees
Reviewed February 20, 2006

I stayed one night in Antwerp and Crown Plaza is an excellent choice
Easy to find, just on the "Ring", esay to park, there is plenty of free space in the front of the hotel, or you can pay 10 euros at the private parking per night
You don't need your car to go downtown, there is a direct bus going to city center in the front of the hotel, same for return
Choose the superior room, and breakfast included, so you get more free option for less (eg: free internet connection)
The room was very large, nice bathroom, but the bed was so tiny for two than you need to be in a passionate love to stay both in this bed, made for little children and not for big guys
nice fitness club with a big indoor pool, sauna and hammam
Good restaurant
And very helpfull staff, everyone is great
I would come back and would recommand it

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank docgir
Reviewed January 23, 2006

Clean, generic hotel, well located, reasonably friendly staff, good breakfast buffet and decent restaurant for an evening meal. Very expensive parking. Complimentary small bottle of water in the room. Small but well appointed room. Laptop safe and trouser press in the closet. But this hotel is otherwise not geared for a business traveler or if you have to stay in touch. They advertise "high speed internet" but many rooms are not so equipped, and in a room that has it, the cost is a whopping 24 euros/night for an internet connection. Many people pay much less than that for one whole month of broadband! This is the 21st century and travelers expect a free or inexpensive internet connection. Using the phone to make any call will cost you a bundle also, so much in fact that it was cheaper to use my tri-band cell phone at US roaming rates.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business