“Very Disappointing Standard Rooms......”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed July 23, 2012

First impressions are very good, the reception area and bar/restaurant have recently been refurbished and are very nice.
The reception staff are very friendly and helpful.
Then you take the lift, on this occasion to the 5th floor - room 519.
What a disappointment - the room looks like something left over from the eighties, the carpet was worn and not vacuumed as it should have been - there were crumbs on the floor. The furniture was dusty - I got the feeling that this room hadn't been used in a while.
The bed had no bedskirt and the base of the bed was stained. The decor was tired, the furniture was old, the curtains were faded.
There was no in-room safe, no iron or ironing board - things I just take for granted when I choose to stay at a Crowne Plaza.
on the positive side the bed linen was of a very good quality.
I am so glad that I had only checked in for one night.
Parking is expensive at €15.00 per night - you can park across the street for free.

Room Tip: Make sure you you don't book a standard room. If you want a quiet room ask for one facing away f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Andrew W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad that you found our staff service commendable. I apologize you were not fully satisfied with the room accommodations that you received. Thank you for bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best way of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. "Perfect" is the only word I can think of that begins to describe my experience. Service, location, room quality, just everything is perfect. If you are coming to Antwerp try to get a room here.

Room Tip: The upper floors offer great views.
Reviewed July 20, 2012

nice gzm and swimming pool.
Great idea that you can buy food at reception to take to your room.
breakfast is nice.
rooms have been refreshed but you notice that all is a bit old...
never mind, good place to stay and friendly staff.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Having stayed in many Crown Plaza's through the world this is by far the most disappointing one. Stayed in better Holiday inn's. The room is half refurbed. Old furniture ie wardrobe and desk. The smallest bed I ever stayed in, in a hotel. Our bed at home is bigger and that is even a normal size double. Tv says you can recieve BBC but it doesn't work. Tried the movie channel, the newest movie was released in 2010. When we checked in I did get a voucher for a free drink but there is 2 of us.

It seems like I am having a moan but as a platinum member I expect more when I check in. Would I stay here again the answer in no. Rather stay in the one in Brugge.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel7674
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Thsi hotel has everything you need for a good night of rest. Clean, enough room, good bedlinen, and even perfumes to put on your pillow for even a better nights sleep.

Lobby of the hotels is good, but occaisonally roamed by pickpockets that travel in small groups. They bump in your table, drop a Euro and the other member takes away your bag.
So, be vigilent..

Room Tip: Book in advance in order to avoid hefty room rates....
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wilco v
Antwerpen1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear PaulZ z,

Nice to read your recommendation of the Crowne Plaza Antwerpen on TripAdvisor. The perfumes you speak about are a part of Crowne Plaza's Sleep Advantage® Program and are quite wonderful indeed. Also, thanks for pointing out that you cannot be careful enough regarding pick pockets. We are continuously learning and improving on how to prevent these, all help is well received.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon in Antwerpen - 't Stad.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Some rooms have apparently recently been renovated, one of which I stayed in. All clean and much as to be expected, although the loo was cracked (still worked fine) but noisy waterworks, and the basin / countertop a bit marked. I don't think these had been replaced in the update. Shower was absolutely first class for the overbath with a curtain set up.

Temperature in room great - no noisy or blowy aircon so a good nights sleep.

On floor 3 there is a bit of traffic noise, but nothing intrusive. I upgraded the room, as I needed parking which was otherwise €20 but included with an upgraded room which was only €15 more than standard so saved me €5!

Location great for the ring road but not central.

Room Tip: Enquire about cost of upgrade especially if you need parking.
2  Thank Stuart D
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Stuart D

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. It's very nice to read that you have enjoyed your stay in one of the latest renovated rooms. Most of our guests really love our offering of upgrade packages, including free drink, wifi and parking.... We'll surely look at the bathroom to see if we can fix the crack.

Kind regards and hope to welcome you again in Antwerpen.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I arrived extremely exhausted at this hotel. But that is what happens after a long flight, followed by a few meetings without any sleep. The receptionist noticed this and therefor allocated me a room on the back side, since it's more quiet there. He also did the check-in extremely efficient and friendly. Since I was eager to go to the room as fast as possible, I was told to stop by reception later on for all the information regarding the hotel's facilities, breakfast, connections to the airport and so on.

I took a nap in the bed and it was very comfortable. In the bathroom they have both large soapdispensers and some more traditional bathroom amenities. This way you never run out of anything!

When I got back to the reception, it seemed as if the receptionist was able to read my mind! The information I got was fitted for me and obviously not the standardised stuff they tell you in every hotel. When we've gotten to the part about dinner, I noticed that the hotel's restaurant was quite busy. So he made a reservation for me in a restaurant along the river called Zuiderterras. Their 'terras' outside was lovely and the sun was blazing. However since it is elevated and not next to any other high building, there was a gently breeze. The food there was great and the prices not high at all, so you have to check it out if you're in Antwerp.

On the second day I had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel. The quality of the food was not as good as in the other restaurant, but it was OK. You will find a little bit of everything on the menu.
The health and leisure centre is awesome. The've got an infinity pool, sauna, steamroom and a spacious gym with great equipment.

There are great people working in this hotel, in particular Jens (reception), Anais (reception) and Wouter (restaurant). You guys made this a memorable stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank its_lisa
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear its_lisa

Thank you very much for your open and candid review. Jens, Anaïs and Wouter were delighted hearing your warm and heartfelt appreciation. Your feedback is a great support for us all to keep our service standards high-level and consistent. Looking forward welcoming you again soon in Antwerpen - 't Stad!

Kind regards,