“Great views”

$46.10*
Antwerp Half-Day Trip from Brussels
$133.32*
and up
Brussels Super Saver: Brussels Sightseeing Tour, Antwerp Half-Day Trip, Day...
Ranked #8 of 165 things to do in Antwerp
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I must admit, my Dutch heritage makes me a cheapskate so I only visited the free stairs to the top of this architectural gem. I was impressed that the route to the rooftop is clearly framed by the designers to show you the city and the docklands from various perspectives. The wavy glass lounges on each floor give you a covered frame to enjoy your view. This building showed me that the journey can be as enjoyable as the destination.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,658)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The shadow of the Little Emperor on the facade of the building gives the perfect introduction to the exhibit inside. Nice new museum to join the many wonderful museums in the city

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'll say straightaway that we didn't see the exhibits at the MAS museum; we just admired the very striking architecture from the outside (apparently designed to look like a stack of shipping containers) . . . and we also rode the interior escalators all the way up to the top to the free roof deck with 360-degree views of the port and city. We didn't pay a single euro for either of these experiences, yet both were great fun. Also...
* To reach the MAS, we strolled north along the river. We passed a very interesting medieval fortress -- part of which is currently being used for some kind of art school for kids.
* For lunch we ate at a very pleasant restaurant immediately north of the MAS along the riverfront. It was a warm summer day, and the outdoor patio was packed with diners. We had one of our best Antwerp meals here.
* Right next to the restaurant is an historic warehouse from the days when Antwerp's port was a major shipping hub. The warehouse is now open to the public and it looked like some shops were going to be opening soon (though nothing seemed open yet). The building itself, though, is very cool and definitely worth a look.
* From the port we walked a few blocks inland toward the university. Tucked on a side street, behind an unassuming gate, is an amazing beguinage -- an institution I'd never heard of before visiting Antwerp. The beguinage was created in the Middle Ages for single, unmarried women -- who did not want to become nuns -- to live and work in peace. A safe haven and community for women. I thought it was beautiful -- the concept as well as the physical grounds. After discovering Antwerp's beguinage, we also found these places in Bruges, Brussels, and Amsterdam.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Interesting building, good views over the city and that's it. We were told that some of the pieces from Royal Museum of Fine Arts, Antwerpen are exhibited in MAS during renovation of mentioned museum. Unfortunately it wasn't true, the exhibition was probably finished or this was the misunderstanding. My impression was there was a whole lot of nothing spread across 5 floors, interactive though. I would suggest to go just for the building, skip the rest, save time and money.

1  Thank J and M
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This lovely unusual modern building is at the end of downotown.

It is important to visit te outside and to go to the panorama to see the city from a nice perspective.

The Antwerpse station centraal the cathedral and the bouren touren can be seen and with a fish-eye lens can fit in a single photo!