“Great Experience!”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I found this place on accident. It is tucked away from the beaten path. I am so glad I am a bit adventurous. The restaurant is below the ground in some kind of cellar.

There restaurant is not very big and seating is at a minimum, which made the experience more intimate. Great place to take a date.

The waiter/chef is a nice guy. He cooks most of the food in an open brick oven right in front of you. I would eat here again.

I recommend the frog legs as an appetizer.

1  Thank Don S

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Although I was born and raised in Antwerp, I had never eaten here. Knew about a restaurant in the basement, never tried. It was a real surprise with the open fireplace and the cooking on it. Great flavor, good service. Visited in May, but will certainly go back in colder months. Cozy to come in from the cold to a live fireplace. Quality of the meat was very good.
Worth to go down the steep steps.
It has been in business for 40 years, with the same menu. Don't change anything.

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Wow! This place is great! Superb service, very nice atmosphere in this cave-restaurant! We opted for the "filet mignon" as it was grilled like the old fashioned way, as wel as the bread and the potatoes...fantastic flavours! Only a pitty that there was not a small dressing included with a little vinaigrette on it in the main dish. The charming waitress however did inform us that we could take a salade in addition but that would be too much. Also, I like my chocolate sauce to be served seperately when taking a dame blanche icecream. Hence both the reason why I could not give 5 stars for food.
To be recommended without any hesitation but best to reserve in advance!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stumbled into this restaurant when searching for dinner. The on line reviews were good and so down the steep stairs. The host, chef, server all in one welcomed us to his basement. He answered questions about the age of the bricks and the history of the basement.

Drinks came out quickly from a bar in the corner of the dining room. I ordered a steak which was cooked on the grill just behind us. The wood is beech which makes for a different taste. The flavor was good, the cut not so good.

A unique experience, good food and excellent service -- I will go back again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We eat here on every visit to Antwerp and have been for over 10 years. You find it down a cute alley like walkway it is hidden but worth it to find. To enter the restaurant you proceed down some steep stairs into what we call "the Cave". They cook on an open fire and the steak and lamb are always delicious. The warm bread and salad are so good it is hard not to eat too much of them but you have to keep in mind the meat and potatoes are up next. Dessert for us is always the baked apple cooked on the fire in the dining room and topped with ice cream and whipped cream. You will not leave hungry.