“BE WARNED !!!!”

Ambassador Suites Antwerp
Ranked #10 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Antwerp
Reviewed October 16, 2011

BE WARNED, of the ambassador suites hotel in Antwerpen, Belgium.
I recently booked a room via the booking.com web page at this hotel, the booking site send me a confirmation, I got onto a train in Budapest and head to Antwerpen, I arrived at around 9pm that night at the hotel to find their reception closed, so I could not get into the booked room, I phone an after hours number and was told that the hotel cancelled my booking due to some problem authorising my credit card, so I had to find another hotel at that hour of the night, which I did.
I later noted that this hotel still took the payment from my credit card, even though I did not stay there due to them cancelling the booking, and reception closed, and no arrangements made with me.
When I contacted them to inform them that I do not accept this payment, they told me that I made a booking and they took payment against my credit card as "no-show" penalty fee, they toook the total original amount for the entire booking, and refuse to refund me. I also read other review now on the booking.com web about this hotel, and have others with similar problems, so please be warned not to deal with this hotel, since the are crooks, and will take your money without providing any service!!!, there are many other nice hotels closer to the train station, so, avoid ambassador suites at all cost!!!

Room Tip: never never book this hotel, unless you want to waist and lose your money !!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank SAMMITR-01
be_housing1, Guest Relations Manager at Ambassador Suites Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

We are sorry to hear this,

Do you still have your reservation number, so that we can investigate what did go wrong during your reservation?

Kind regards,
Be-Housing team

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Stayed in this self-service studio flat in Ambassador Suites on a work trip to Belgium and Holland in January 2011. Felt it was good combination of having own space and self-service needs on a stay in Antwerp.
Location is handy, only a walk from Antwerp main railway station. I had paid for the internet beforehand for the two nights and had the key card and information waiting for me (had to phone the number since no-one had informed me in the e-mail where to get the key from. It was Sunday and the reception was closed).
Studio flat was clean and spacious, had two beds, sofa, tables and a kitchenette with microwave oven, kettle, fridge, plates, glasses... as well as coffee and tea bags.
Internet worked well and the heating of the flat could be adjusted. Toilet and bathroom were separate.
Because of the kitchenette, I ended up buying things to the fridge, so saved some money from restaurant bills.
I hardly saw any people staying in other flats and felt it was very peaceful, although some noise came from the street.
Overall, I was happy with the quality of the flat and would be very happy to stay in these flats again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Summary
* only good thing - parking in the building (and maybe location);
* room (what i had) - because of the cleanliness and equipment a bit below average;
* personnel attitude and internet connectivity - terrible;
* they apparently have bed bugs there;
* pay in advance, in case of sooner leave - no refund (wtf...)

At Ambassador apartments, I spend one month in 2010 Q4. Briefly to summarize my experience. Only really good thing in my opinion is the parking (available just in the house, and even reasonably priced comparing to the local prices there).

The apartment was quite big (more big then i would need), however the equipment nothing special (incl. the equipment in the kitchen, which i expected to be better), carpet in the living room old and dirty, and also the weekly cleaning service didn't do definitely an excellent job...

The service by the personel simply terrible. I met there only one guy, his behavior wasn't far customer-oriented but rather unprofessional and arrogant. There not even able of translating some check-in form to English and forcing foreigners to sign the dutch version. One has to pay all the stay in advance, and in case of sooner check out, simply no refund.

Internet connection - unstable, weak signal (at least in my room), and even when the signal wa
s and the connection to the wifi router was ok, DNS was unresponsive so no connection in the e
nd. When I complained to the personel about the signal strength and quality, i was told by the guy something in the kind of "well.. and what shall i do about it". But charging me extra money for this connection every day, that was fine with him. Other thing e.g.the shower didn't
work, they know about it, but no one cares to repair.

And one more important thing - they are reported to have bed bugs. When i ask the personel, he
said - don't worry, they're not on your floor. Which indirectly means - yes, we have them... Watch this out, i don't think anyone would like to import bed bugs back home in the luggage...

I paid something more about 70 Euro a day. For such a service? Ridiculous. I stayed for the whole month just because their fu*king no-refund policy. After one month, I moved to Premier Apartments (http://www.premierapartmentsantwerp.com) - similar location, moreless the same price, but compl
etely different service and attitude of the personnel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank sedasek
Reviewed January 28, 2011

this is the worst place I ever stayed and I usually do not write any comments on any sites.
Staying at this place changed this, people be ware.
Rooms are dirty, there is no service, yes it's cheap but sleeping with bed bugs and waking up the next morning with a complete irritating skin for days !! Then later found out that these bugs got into my clothes and I took them home. It cost me a fortune to have my place cleaned, luckily my children were spared.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Tularu
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This was an apartment/flat rather than a hotel. You are only able to check in between the hours of 4-8pm. No one is there at other times. On weekends there are no staff – you need to check yourself in. They leave the key out for you.
Apartment (217) has a large bathroom, separate toilet, lounge/dining/bedroom all combined and a small kitchen.
Place is clean and tidy. Has good heating, not so good lighting.
Flat appears to be in an orthodox Jewish area. There are not really any shops/restaurants etc nearby.
Tram runs outside and train approximately 1 block away. Easy 5 minute drive to the city.
Beds are 2 singles. Neutral colours, lamps and paintings.
Kitchen has all equipment for cooking – stove etc.
Shower allows lots of water on floor.
Pillows plus bedding is minimal.
Would be a good place to stay if coming for a long period and you wanted to have a full flat to stay in. Not a good place to stay if you want any service.
Parking available underground – access card given to you so you can access it. €10 a night. Car park is very narrow though.
Alright but if you are wanting a hotel or service, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Just before our trip (but after I booked the room) I have read last reviews on Trip Advisor about bed bugs - and I was shocked in advance and was afraid about my wife and children.
But in reality my family had a very good stay in this hotel.
Two big rooms (good beds without bed bugs, very good sleep), bathroom (good equipped, even with fan heater), kitchen (very good equipped - microwave oven, toaster, full set of tools).
There ware good view from windows - our room was on 8th floor.
There are 2 shops with food near the hotel - I liked one which is behind bridge. We bought food - meet, eggs, bread and so on and prepared delicious breakfasts and suppers.
We went to city center by foot - about 20 minutes. About 10 minutes to Central railway station.
I was not interested in Internet, so I haven't tried it.
Which I did not like - I was a bit surprised on check-out: when we left hotel and I went to reception room to give keys to receptionist, he gave me bill (in English) and in advance asked to sign one short paper with text in Dutch. I refused this, because I do not know Dutch and do not like to sign papers which I do not understand. I just wrote about this on this short paper. I think hotel management have to think about this.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I was staying in this apartment for more 2 months and I can only leave this apartment in mid-april 2010. I did not choose this apartment, it was chosen by my company. When I first arrived, my hands were found to have bites whenever I wake up in the morning. I found it strange and i did suspected it was from bed bug bites. True enough, I wake up very early around 2am because my hands was very itchy. I began to search the bed and I manage to find bed bugs. I killed it instantly and i reported to the person in charge. When i told him, his reaction was indifferent and he did change my bed but only the next day. This mean that I still have to suffer for 1 more night.

Not only this apartment have bed bugs issue, the internet connection is super slow and there were 3 weeks where i had difficulty in connecting to the internet. The internet speed was so slow that you cannot even watch youtube and playing facebook games. The worse joke is that, the in charge said that you can pay 5 euro to have fast speed connection. Intially, I did wanted to pay 5 euro to try out. But, I was lucky that I manage to read the review placed at the lobby where past customers did mention that the 5 euro for fast speed internet connection is useless.

Those who still choose not to believe can still try to stay here if you are a risk taker or not afraid to be biten by bed bugs. I don't have a choice because it was paid by my company , however you do have a choice.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business