“Friendly, good location”
Review of Colombus Hotel

Colombus Hotel
Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The staff of Colombus is friendly and helpful, the rooms are pretty large; however, bathroom has seen better days... The city centre and main shopping street are very close, the train station and opera just opposite the hotel. Breakfast "room", however, is as cosy as a train station. Wirless works great, Average, due to good location I will go there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Well, we arrived and the lobby looked impressive. We were told we were going in an apartment - we thought whoooppfreee. We were taken to another building not attached to the hotel, given a key and told it was on the 1st floor. Getting into the lift itself was a struggle, has no door on it ! We opened the door and the apartment was disgusting. An exceptionally small double bed, pushed up against a wall, so that one person could not get out. Lamps with exposed wires, windows that were filthy and the frames all broken and the bathroom has a disgrace. I got all upset, it was meant to be a romantic weekend, we were only staying one night. We decided to go and see of they had another room. The nice guy on recpetion (bless him) agreed that it needed updating (he wasn't wrong there), he said no more rooms availabile, apart from one other refurbished apartment, but it had now hot water. We asked for a refund and left, in Antwerp with no hotel. Grrrreat. Worst experience ever.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lynn619999
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Honestly I would give this hotel one more star just for its Art Deco design. Colombus located very conviniently-about 5 minutes walk from the Central Station and about 15 minutes, maybe less to the Old Town of Antwerp. The room was clean, very spacious (I had a doublebed room), the WiFi worked excellent, though you need to take at the reception the username and password. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was very satisfying. If I would come to Antwerp once again I certainly would stay in this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get rooms at the lower floors
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was in Antwerp in May 2012 for a conference and moved into this hotel for the weekend for some sightseeing with my partner. It is a great loction just down from the Central station and a pleasant walk to the historic centre (and a tram stop on the corner if raining!) The room was large (bigger than my conference hotel room) and clean, simply furnished. My only complaint was no kettle - being English I do like a cup of tea! We were also at the back of the hotel, which meant it was quiet. Breakfast was in a lovely sunny room - usual continental with an attempt at scrambled eggs - the rest was better. We didnt get to try the swimming pool but if we are back in Antwerp I would book again and do so. All staff were friendly and overall think it is correctly priced and starred.

Room Tip: worth sacrificing view for peace and getting room at the back
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We were really impressed with the lobby and excited that the rooms would be just as nice, but we were wrong. We were placed in a room at the back of the building and the elevator on our way there got stuck a few times and we eventually had to carry our bags up four flights of stairs. When we got to the hallway we noticed that there were only two rooms available on that floor and it had a really bad smell. Once we got into the room we saw that the room did not look clean, it was old and just plain gross. We went to the front desk to ask if there were any other rooms available on the other side of the hotel and we were told no by the guy working. We went upstairs and we were getting ready for bed when I noticed the bed bugs in the bed. We immediately went downstairs to check out at midnight and ask for a refund. At this time the staff have changed shifts and the other man working asked us if we wanted to switch rooms instead of checking out and we told him the man working before him told us there were none available (so he obviously lied to us). Terrible staff (except for the night auditor), terrible rooms. Will never return again. Holiday Inn Express was a much better stay after we checked out of this hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms at the other side were better, but we only experienced the rooms at the back and you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank diaxo
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel has a great location, approx 150 metres from Central station. The old town is only 5 minutes away by taking the number 11 Melkmarkt tram which stops just across the road from hotel. The staff were friendly and the rooms were cleaned and changed daily. Also we liked the buffet breakfast which was plentiful with lots to choose from including fresh orange juice and cereals to start, tea coffee hams and salamis, all types, eggs, a good choice of bread and rolls, yogurts fruit etc. The list goes on! The art Noveau style breakfast room is charming. The ensuite room was a fairly good size with good bathroom. All in all a good 3 star, well run hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meteorite
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Close to the Meir, the big shopping street in the centre of Antwerp, we found Hotel Colombus. It's across the Opera House and the bus station. The manager (owner?) of the hotel was very gracious and told us a room was ready for us, allthough we didn't have a reservation. The room would cost €112, including breakfast and the overnight parking.

We were glad to have found a room so conveniently close to the shopping area of Antwerp with a parking space.

The entrance of the hotel looks good, with a breakfast area in front of the reception. At the back of the hotel is a lounge area, with a television set and a computer, which one can use, free of charge. I couldn't get the wi-fi working on my iPhone, though.
The hotel itself has 32 rooms. We were on the second floor. The elevator is really small and outdated. It's just big enough for two persons, or 1 with baggage. I didn't try my luck, the stairs looked much safer.

The room was convenient, one small double bed, two nightstands, one big desk with a television and two chairs. Nothing fancy, but clean with lots of closet space. The bed itself was terrible. The floor was sloping downwards, which made the bed stand in a weird angle and you had the feeling you would roll of if you didn't watch yourself.

No airconditioning was provided, but the central heating was blasting away. Really great if you get back from a shopping spree in the freezing cold, but quite ennoying if you want to get some sleep. I probably should have asked the reception to do something about it, but I since I haven't, I don't know if they could have done something about it.

The bathroom was kind of small, with bath and shower in the bath and a toilet. A sliding door closed off the small bathroom. The shower was great though, it looked newly installed. The toiletries and towels were of good quality and plenty.

The breakfast was good! A buffet with fresh croissants, rolls and bread, with cheese, salami, ham, cooked eggs, yoghurt, fruit (not fresh, it looked like canned fruit), dades, and fresh squeezed orange juice.

I didn't get to see the swimming pool or the gym, so I can't comment on those. This hotel is convenient, if you want to go shopping, with friendly service, but they definitely need to replace the bed in room 413.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple